!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Society Kits Availability  (Read 1415 times)

Offline malc-c

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Society Kits Availability
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »
Please don't take this in a negative way, that's not my intention.

Flushed with my success of building my first n-gauge society kit yesterday I'm now bitten by the bug and want to build more, however nearly all the box type kits that fit the era and generation I'm intending to model are reported as being out of stock.  I presume that all kits are made in batches, but there is no indication on the pages of when the next production run may be.

Kit 2. GWR/BR Mink 'C' Van (NGSK0020) - Out of Stock
Kit 18. LMS/BR 12t Box Vans - twin pack (NGSK0180 ) - Out of stock
Kit 21. SR/BR 12t Box Vans - twin pack (NGSK0210) - Out of stock

None of the above have any indication of when stock would be available. 

Can anyone recommend other makes of box van kits that are suitable for a beginner, or if you are in the know, advise when the above may be available from the NGS shop ?

Cheers

Malcolm

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Society Kits Availability
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:24:26 pm »
I think Peco do a couple of box wagon kits. :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:31:09 pm »
As a satisfied customer, I can recommend Osborn's Great Western Replicas. :thumbsup:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/osborns-exclusive-697-c.asp
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:51:36 pm »
Thanks guys,

I had seen the Peco kits, but these IMO are more of an assembly task rather than building.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:53:20 pm »
You could get in touch with Gramodels. They do a series of resin van and open wagon kits that are all LSWR pattern, but which are still perfectly valid for later periods. They just need cleaning up, painting, and adding to a Peco wagon chassis to complete. Again, not quite a kit, more of an assembly, but they still need painting and decalling, and it's all good experience.

http://www.gramodels.co.uk/

Online sp1

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 02:52:47 pm »
As a satisfied customer, I can recommend Osborn's Great Western Replicas. :thumbsup:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/osborns-exclusive-697-c.asp
Thank you for that link - wasnít aware of the existence of those GWR kits

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 03:38:33 pm »
Thanks for the link.. those do look nice

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:14 pm »
I thought it might make a good subject for a video.

It might not win any awards, but hopefully it will help show how these kits go together, and inspire others to support the society and purchase a few :)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:06 pm »
I agree on the NGS kit availability - Iíve been after some of the KSA timber carriers since they came out, it seems that demand vastly outstrips supply, its months between runs and then they disappear in no time. I gave up trying to get the HQAs!

Iím not sure how Iíd improve it, given no doubt limited funds and time, but itís frustrating. I end up joining the society each year just to try and get some kits, which I invariably have failed to do!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:58:28 pm by njee20 »

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 04:40:35 pm »
I bought 3 of the Palvan and Medfit twin-packs at the AGM. They were very simple to build and it was very enjoyable to do so. Admittedly nothing like as detailed as recent RTR models, but neither is available RTR so a chance to make something different.

The real attraction for many will be the cost, in my opinion worth joining the NGS for alone. People who have a limited budget for modelling should look no further, the three twin pack kits cost £22.05 plus say 50p for the paints and glue used means each wagon cost just £3,75!! Amazing value.

Pic of the finished models below.

Roy

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »
Roy, they look fantastic.

I agree with you 100% regarding the costs.  With the transfer set, postage and VAT the three kits I purchased came to £19.75.  For £4.75 each (plus postage) that is extremely good value for money when you look at the cost of RTR.  It's been years since I last purchased a GF or Peco wagon, and was shocked to see just how expensive they are now.  So these kits are an excellent way to build up stock on a budget.  They are also fun to make, and look good IMO.  I have no idea what's involved behind the scenes but just wish there were more stock availability for some of the older kits. 

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 07:09:56 pm »
Very nice work Roy!

I've built three of kit 3 'MR/LMS/BR Outside Frame Kit' and 2 of kit 6 'GWR Loriot 4-wheel well wagon'. Both have little challenges but go together well and are currently waiting their turn in the paint shop. Well worth the money in my opinion.

The 2mm Association has the body mouldings for the Mink C in stock apparently, although you'll need to get their etched chassis etch which may well be outside of the scope of the original post.

I'm patiently waiting for kit 15 'LMS/BR Trestrol well wagon' to come back into stock.

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 08:22:57 pm »
The 2mm Association has the body mouldings for the Mink C in stock apparently, although you'll need to get their etched chassis etch which may well be outside of the scope of the original post.

No need to buy their etched chassis. You can just buy the body kit which is the NGS moulding and I believe the Parkside chassis can now be bought under the Peco banner.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
I've just been looking through the NGS shop and see that the Mink C is back on sale. Sadly no LMS or Southern vans or the Trestrol yet though - hopefully those lovely volunteers sorting everything out will have those back in stock soon Asa well!

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 01:24:00 pm »
What an enjoyable couple of weeks I've had building and painting a selection of N-Gauge society wagon kits.

Left to right

Kit23 - IMO one of the advanced kits as you need to build the under frame and the wagon sides and ends are made from thin plastic, so requires a bit more care and attention when building

Kit 26 - (one part of the twin wagon pack) - Fairly easy build as it comes with a Peco wagon chassis

Kit 61 - As described above

Kit 29 - I chose not to use the supplied transfers, but to represent a standard coal wagon - the easiest kit to build - body is one piece and comes with a Peco wagon chassis

Kit 61 (x2)

Kit 19 - Again, a more complex kit, but not really difficult.  Under frames require assembly

Kit 26  - (second wagon in this twin pack kit)

Kit 19 - (another one !)

Ok now I've used some modellers licence here... I used up some transfers that were originally purchased for Kit 61 to give some detail to the other wagons, and other than one wagon, used whatever Humbrol paints I found in the cupboard.  This was also my first time at attempting anything like this, and even had a go at weathering a few of the wagons, such as adding rust to the steel mineral wagons.  It may not be authentic, they may have the wrong transfers but at the end of the day It's going to be my railway and to me that's all that matters :)

The total cost for all nine wagons came to £47.65 (inc transfers + postage) making that an average cost of £5.29 per wagon.  This represents fantastic value for money, and has given me hours of fun making them.  The only nagging thing was having to get a 0.7mm drill to enlarge the holes for the brass buffers that came with some of the kits.  It would have been nice if these already had holes of the correct size to accept the buffers.  Other than that I would highly recommend these kits.  Not only as a very good way of increasing your rolling stock, but it helps support the shop and the society.  I for one will be ordering more kits when funds permit

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 01:25:58 pm by malc-c »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here