!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins  (Read 2341 times)

Offline trevis

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2018, 03:30:21 am »
You obviously enjoy making Metcalfe kits.
Just a tip. I use watercolour pencils to colour over the white lines as the tip runs down the joint quite nicely.

Yes, I think I have just gotten used to the Metcalfes. I need to break out of my mold. But I have been able to find most things I want in Metcalfe so far, probably because of the era I am working with.

I did try pencils first (both my watercolour and pastels), but had a bugger of a time not jumping out of the rut and marking the facework. I have found my hand more suited to running a fine brush down the edge. It's amazing the difference it makes to the overall appearance. You can't really sense it in isolation, but when you put them on the layout, night and day.

Offline trevis

• Awards
Catching Up
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2018, 11:25:17 am »
A few details being tied off this weekend. But this morning was spent at the AMRA WA open day, with all their wonderful layouts on show. Haltwhistle in particular being a favourite of mine, a 40s/50s OO gauge set in Yorkshire which was first started being built 30 yrs ago and is still being added to here and there. Certainly creates an impetus to get to it.

As I was grocery shopping on Friday I noticed the scourer pads. Green, thin, wiry and cheap (70c a packet). Give it  a whirl I thought. And so began a quick test into hedge rows.

Even if I make full height hedges out the whole pack, by my calculations I reckon I would get about 93 scale km out of this for around $2, even factoring in the cost of scatter. Pretty good deal - if it worked.

Easy enough to cut with scissors

Used my normal 1:2 PVA glue mixture, and a mixed Woodland Scenics scatter.

Looked pretty good, then put a pinch of a fine yellow scatter on for variation. I was fairly happy with these, but they took an age to dry out because they are so absorbent of the glue.

Once dry though they retain their flexibility both on the vertical and horizontal plains, meaning they go round corners and up and down hills. I haven't stuck any in place yet, but the below gives an idea of the end result. Possibly needs another coating.

Oh, also finished the roads to the hamlet of Stony Houghton. I'm getting the hang of the road laying now.

Then it was onto filling some gaps with polystyrene. I had a few noticeable holes where the rail beds were sitting above the ground levels. Luckily ever since I moved house I have been saving anything packing that came with anything I bought, so I have a goodly supply of stryofoam. Armed with a trusty hotwire I set about slowly trimming two bits of foam into shape. Glued them down and finished the day with a coat of paint.

I definitely prefer wood and mdf over foam, but it certainly has its uses. You can't really see the ednd result here, but it looks good enough to cover with grass now.

A good couple of days work, on and off, amongst gardening and riding.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:27:15 am by trevis »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »
By heck. You keep the hedges tidy! :goggleeyes:
Unlike my lot on 'Bletchford'............but it is meant to be a rundown rural area

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2018, 12:30:00 pm »
By heck. You keep the hedges tidy! :goggleeyes:
Unlike my lot on 'Bletchford'............but it is meant to be a rundown rural area

Capability Brown is on the council crew...No expense spared in Chesterfield.

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Catching Up
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2018, 02:04:08 pm »
Haltwhistle in particular being a favourite of mine, a 40s/50s OO gauge set in Yorkshire
Ohhh ! That surprised me because when I was last in Haltwhistle in the 40/50s it was in Northumberland, halfway between Carlisle and Newcastle ! :) (on the onetime LNER). It was on our way to our regular summer holiday in Allandale (Allanheads). We could not go all the way to Allandale by steam as that branch was closed to passenger service in (I think) the '30s. So the trip was completed with petrol :)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:07:12 pm by MalcolmInN »

Offline trevis

• Awards
Re: Catching Up
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2018, 03:03:15 pm »
Haltwhistle in particular being a favourite of mine, a 40s/50s OO gauge set in Yorkshire
Ohhh ! That surprised me because when I was last in Haltwhistle in the 40/50s it was in Northumberland, halfway between Carlisle and Newcastle ! :)

Just repeating what I am being told  :) A lovely layout nonetheless.

http://www.amra-wa-branch.asn.au/layouts/haltwhistle/

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2018, 03:40:24 pm »
I remember camping at Haltwhistle about fifteen years ago.  The red sqirrels at the camp site were great, but the town seemed to be really run down.  I've just looked at it on Streetview and it seems to be much smarter now.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: Yesterday at 06:12:42 am »
Signage at Shirebrook. This would actually have been Shirebrook North in the real world, with Langwith Junction and Langwith pit in the background. Those little touches like signs make all the difference. Still a bit barren and unweathered, but moving forwards.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: Yesterday at 05:40:12 pm »
Just catching up on this thread and l have to say it looks wonderful.  This is a great example of how to use the metcalfe kits to best effect.  Thanks for posting.

Graham

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: Yesterday at 07:02:49 pm »
A lovely layout in the making.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything