!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins  (Read 2239 times)

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2018, 08:41:25 pm »
Quote from: trevis
Quote from: Newportnobby
Is the tape flexible enough to create curves
Oops. Yes, the tape is very bendy, both vertically and horizontally. You won't get right angles, but you definitely be able to get fairly tight curves out of it. It is adhesive on one side and the glue is pretty tacky, yet not so much that it rips up the terrain when you are taking it off.

Excellent road works ... was thinking of trying something similar for my layout. If only I can find felxi-foam-tape (which translates as "ruban souple en mousse" over here). Watching the development of your council's road improvements with interest.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:36 am »
I've just caught up with this thread from start to finish. Where did the time go!  :o

Great work and full of information. Thank you for sharing.
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline trevis

• Awards
We're on the road to nowhere
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2018, 02:40:03 pm »
Just to add a little more to the previous update. The first coat of tarmac went down to add a bit of colour. Surprised you can't see half a dozen council workers leaning on shovels... They still have to lay a footpath.

And the new Langwith Station platform.

They might finally get around to sealing that carpark.

Oh, and that road is as hard as a rock. The Dremel took the edge off nicely without a murmur. You could easily drill this sucker without a problem. Although it might be a problem on any base with give (like wireframe plaster cloth), as I suspect any flex might cause cracking.

Offline trevis

• Awards
Cry me a river
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2018, 01:23:59 am »
So I commenced work on number of items this weekend - no focus here. But of most note was the river bed. My aim being to at least get rid of the pale white plaster with something at least a little more reminiscent of water.

Whilst I know there is a lot of work to be done before I get that wetness cascading through the sense of some depth and life can still be obtained from light and shade. So I started by painting on the textured paint that the rest of the layout has, logic being twofold - riverbeds are not smooth and the movement of rivers causes lots of little pinpricks of texture. That done I moved onto mixing up a fairly dark greeny, browny, blacky colour and ran across the middle of the river bed. Then, whilst still wet lightened it to a more olivey greeny colour and blended, to a yellowy, greeny, browny shade. And finally a lighter browny, yellowy colour. Pretty much trial and error and lots of adding of different colours to the palette mix.

As a base I am reasonably happy, although probably looks more like US river at the moment than the Derbyshire countryside. And there are spots where the variation is not enough. But we will get there with some more layering.

This pic is a bit unrepresentative as the flash has washed out the brownness of the surrounding terrain.

The next step is to add in some rocks at various points.

Still determining the wetting method to be used, but probably favouring varnish or resin over things like dedicated scenic modelling products, at the moment.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2018, 01:43:15 am »
Yeah, I used gloss varnish for the water on my layout, but I have been very impressed by Woodland Scenics Realistic Water on layouts that have used it. Webbo in Canberra has had much success with it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2018, 06:13:57 am »
Yeah, I used gloss varnish for the water on my layout, but I have been very impressed by Woodland Scenics Realistic Water on layouts that have used it. Webbo in Canberra has had much success with it.

I think my main concerns are - 1) the cost for such a long river section (anything with Woodland scenics in the name attracts premium pricing),  and 2) it stays soft and almost gel like (if it's the one I'm thinking of).

On the plus side you can get some nice ripple effects.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2018, 06:30:09 am »
You may be confusing it with Ezy Water by the same firm. That stuff is definitely  an inferior product.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2018, 05:28:28 am »
Happy day. I had wanted to get hold of Metcalfe PN108 for awhile as it had a couple of buildings I can use in different ways for both colliery and jam factory. Alas, it is no longer made and all was almost lost.

However, I finally managed to track one down in the backwaters of New Zealand of all places at Mack's Tracks! And today she arrived safe and sound. I love it when a plan comes together.

He said it has been on his shelf for 11 years. Which is very evident by the packaging.

Offline trevis

• Awards
Model of a Model
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2018, 03:19:06 pm »
Only little bits and bobs really the past few days, but the Bolsover end is starting to look more town like. The model village in the valley has all the hallmarks of the real one, a space for allotments, the school, park and rows of red brick houses. I couldn't fit two rows in, but a reasonable impression nonetheless. I'm still just placing things, so lots of items "floating" a little with big gaps showing from under until the final plans are decided and the foundations laid. I have also laid a bit more road, including a couple of cross overs, but I will reveal those once I am happy with the final product, smoothed and painted.

Also went and had a research trip to Bunnings. I think I will end up with a two part epoxy coating for the river, but not until a lot of other stuff is finalised. Which is a combination of wanting everything to be set in place before pouring it, and partly being scared of stuffing it up  :D Not that easy to recover from a failure of that one.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2018, 05:08:05 pm »
 :greatpicturessign:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline trevis

• Awards
Slow and Steady
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2018, 12:53:59 pm »
Thought I would touch base. Over the past weeks I have been putting together some key buildings, such as finalising the New Bolsover, Shirebrook and Langwith stations, as well as more of the housing, roads and retaining. From certain angles in the half light, through a very soft filter you can kinda, sorta think that progress is being made. Much of the current work has been around starting to eradicate the white lines along the card model edges, which takes forever and  whilst essential for overall looks, doesn't rank high on the big impact when you have a reasonable size layout. But we move forward.

Shirebrook Station has taken on a reasonable facsimile of the original

And it's starting to provide an idea of the battle between industrial and farming nature of the Derbyshire backwaters, albeit with some unfinished roadworks (rail crossings and tarmac).

Langwith, still in need of some more row housing

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2018, 01:23:48 pm »
That's coming along really well. For those fiddly detailing parts, York Modelmaking are a good source

https://www.yorkmodelrail.com

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »
Trevis. These are amazing pics. The layout looks superb. One thought that struck me and I don't know what you think but where the single line that springs from the triangle, passes the mine and vanishes through the backscene you have temporarily leant a single-track tunnel portal against the backscene. Do you think there is any merit in NOT using the portal? Looking at the surrounding topography the portal juts vertically a lot and may require a rather sudden and funny looking hill to justify its existence. Might it be better to plant a wood or, maybe, a building that is long enough to hide the exit of the track? Looking at the angle the track takes to pass through the hole in the backscene and the apparent viewing angle such a ruse would hide the exit point either completely or all but completely. Just a wee thought. Keep up the inspiring work!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:15:21 pm by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2018, 03:13:02 pm »
That’s looking really good. You obviously enjoy making Metcalfe kits.
Just a tip. I use watercolour pencils to colour over the white lines as the tip runs down the joint quite nicely.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2018, 03:22:34 am »
Do you think there is any merit in NOT using the portal?

Hey Chris, yes the tunnel entrance is just propped up there as an errant reminding thought. Ideally I want to run a road along the back edge at this point. It will provide a nice connection between the pits and the towns. In order to do that it either needs to disappear into the backdrop at the point of the track, or a humpback bridge over it.

You're right though, simply hiding the entrance is also a possibility that might be more aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers
TC

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything