!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins  (Read 2376 times)

Offline trevis

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 02:43:20 am »
G'day from the east coast, Trevis, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

As others have said, that was one introduction! I found it interesting that track laying was one of the last things on the agenda! Quite unusual.

Any chance of a track plan, please?

Yes, I can see how ppl might think that. A few reasons, come to mind, all excuses for my somewhat laissez faire approach to it all, and the "she'll be right" philosophy. Number one, this layout is based loosely on my previous attempt, which was planned out quite detailed in software, so I had a good idea of where I was headed; Secondly, my primary attraction has generally been more on the scenic elements than the trains - heretic! (not to take anything away from that, as they certainly provide life and entertainment); and finally, the plan is still developing as I go and think of different things to plop in. I didn't want to spend a year designing the perfect track layout before I got to the enjoyable part (for me at least) of building my little world. I can always rip it apart and start again  :D

I'm under no illusions that my way will lead to more rework, cost and failures, but it also allows me to just keep taking it somewhere else as the mood fits, and provide constant surprises to myself. I hear cries of "anarchy!" from the backbenches. But, I'm just learning, so I happy to try things out and make mistakes.

I will see if I can put together a revised track plan soon.

Cheers
TC

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 02:47:22 am »
Looks a very neat job.  :thumbsup:

All sorts of options for tunnel entrances/mouths but have a look at this site that offers a huge range of brick styles and types: http://www.paperbrick.co.uk/

Thanks Dave, that site looks just the ticket for a whole range of projects!

TC

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 09:34:13 am »
A 'freestyle approach' like this is going to be very interesting. Most of us hate doing things twice so please keep us posted of both successes and failures.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 09:44:42 am »
A 'freestyle approach' like this is going to be very interesting. Most of us hate doing things twice so please keep us posted of both successes and failures.
I quite like the idea.  I'm doing some things for at least the third time.  The problem with detailed planning before putting pen to paper, so to speak, is that when you get it all down, you find that it's not quite what you intended or that it doesn't work in the way you thought it would.  So carry on and learn by your mistakes, like the rest of us!   :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:54 am »
I started at one end of the garage wall, with a reverse plan of Peter Denny's Leighton Buzzard, and worked me way around the other walls from there, making it up as I went!

Not exactly good planning!  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trevis

• Awards
Wye is it so?
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 11:52:23 am »
Quite a bit to report from this weekend. Made a few more little models. Connected up the PSX-AR, and added in the siding attached to the Langwith Junction yards.

The PSX-AR had been lying in a dusty old box on a shelf for years so I had little hopes of any success. Not much to configure for basic auto reversing operations - plug in the DCC bus on one side and plug in the isolated track on the other. Turned on the power, LEDs fire up, run a train, bingo, straight through, no shorts! Bombproof.

Due to terrain some of the siding has underlay and some does not. Won't matter once the ballasting goes in, and the track is not moving anywhere fast now it is glued down. Sadly this has created another Wye I fear. It's certainly created a short at any event. I will have to hook it up to the PSX-AR and see if I need another reverser or if there is something more sinister at play. However, with both ends of the sidings open it runs fine and the train with full carriage load happily chugs up the hill.

Also importantly I bought a printer. I have been relying on the kindness of strangers, but sadly the lasers don't have the detail I require. So, $50 later I have the stupendous clarity of an Epson ink jet. You can see it in the promo posters I have put on the Cinema. The size of the little fingernail, but still able to be read.

On a more sombre note I realise that I cannot do Chesterfield justice, for a couple of reasons. Primarily the Market St Station was a big terminus and I don't have the space for it just yet. So I am changing tack and making that end Bolsover, which makes much more sense geographically. It's also the town my dad grew up in. The pit is right there, the Carr Vale "viaduct" space is there, the tunnel entrance is there, and I have some room for the model village.

I can say with authority that they did have a Plaza cinema, however without a photo I can also be fairly certain it wasn't as grand as the one I have on show... Minor detail.

And so we progress.

Online Drakken

• Building Llanrumney TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 01:44:08 pm »
Such an enjoyable thread to read, Looking forward to many more updates. Everything looks so very well thought out and can't wait to see the hills or are they fields getting worked on. Phenomenal layout subscribed  :beers:

Ooo & a Youtube channel to go along with it  :)

I agree with @Newportnobby cleaning the track rather than fine sanding it is a better approach. I have personally caused 'divets' in the track from over cleaning using a fine sandpaper on a previous layout.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:47:17 pm by Drakken, Reason: Adding more information »

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »
Such an enjoyable thread to read, Looking forward to many more updates. Everything looks so very well thought out and can't wait to see the hills or are they fields getting worked on. Phenomenal layout subscribed  :beers:

Hah! I'm a big picture guy, so the concept is very well considered. The detail however, not so much, and I fear that's where the downfalls shall come.  :D

Online Drakken

• Building Llanrumney TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »
From the work you have don't so far I've got a feeling the detail won't be a downfall on this layout  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 03:39:04 am »
I have only just seen this thread. By 'eck it's looking good! :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 11:11:30 pm »
May I enquire as to the dimensions of this layout?

I also see right back at the start of this wonderful thread that the underside of the layout is solid ie: you started with flat boards and built up from that rather than using a open-frame approach. How do you operate points? Unless I am being dim this means having to make holes in the bottom layer of board underneath all your terrain. Isn't this a bit difficult to do?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 01:20:19 am »
May I enquire as to the dimensions of this layout?

I also see right back at the start of this wonderful thread that the underside of the layout is solid ie: you started with flat boards and built up from that rather than using a open-frame approach. How do you operate points? Unless I am being dim this means having to make holes in the bottom layer of board underneath all your terrain. Isn't this a bit difficult to do?

There are two 2400mm x 1200mm units locked into an L shape, so 3600mm at its longest and 1200mm deep along the entirety (other than the corner diagonal of course). I have already been thinking about adding another module to the end  :worried: I have been piecing together a bit of a rough track layout diagram in my spare time. But sadly I don't have any... (time, that is)

As for the construction, I am always guilty of over-engineering, be it a garden shed or an n-gauge layout. Nothing will ever fall apart, but likewise it can often take two cranes to lift things whereas a wiser man might have been able to construct them for a young girl to manoeuvre solo. That being said, the layout frames are made out of structural pine and marine grade plywood. They are then simply bolted onto some standard workbench frames from Bunnings. I am happy to cut into the plywood if necessary to create underboard access where necessary, but I so far haven't need any.

Having now laid down just about all the track I want, and every piece has droppers, I have been quite lucky and have been able to drill through without hitting any of the structural supports. Therefore, one drill hole into the plaster cloth which then just continues through to the plywood. By tapping the track bed before putting on the droppers I have been able to hear where the supports sit (hollow v thud) and place them accordingly.

A couple of times it has taken a couple of goes to push the second dropper through the same hole in the plywood because I am doing it by feel, but in general they have just gone straight through.

Points did concern me I won't lie  :D because I have six or seven underboard Cobalts from my last attempt at this. Luckily though good comes to those that wait, because by the time I have now got back to it DCC Concepts have come up with their SS above board motors. I just had a 12 pack delivered last week, still yet to install them. However, they look pretty easy and they each will require just one hole for the wires, the same principle as my droppers. Then I will need to decide whether to hide them under bushes and buildings, or leave them visible.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 01:41:41 am »
Thanks for that reply trevis. It took me a moment or two but I realize that your metric measurements are 2 x 4 foot by 8 foot boards in olde english. As to ephods and cubits I still have to work that out  :confused1:. Your layout is, therefore, quite big. It does look to be quite a decent size in the pics.

I like the whole idea you have there. A couple of collieries and a decent sized MPD next to a triangle is quite cunning. I havee never been really sure about the Peco turntable as I can never get it to rotate smoothly due to a lack of wheels - just plastic lugs to run on the circular track. I am of the opinion that having a nearby triangle is the answer. Another advantage is you can run locos that might not fit on your table.

An excellant layout in progress. I'll look forward to seeing this one grow!

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 02:49:27 am »
Thanks for that reply trevis. It took me a moment or two but I realize that your metric measurements are 2 x 4 foot by 8 foot boards in olde english.

I like the whole idea you have there. A couple of collieries and a decent sized MPD next to a triangle is quite cunning.

Yes, we Antipodeans have a strange way of counting. I will have to remember to translate to imperial in future.

You say cunning, however the reversing loop occurred more by accident than design if truth be told. I put the loop up to the back colliery to allow me to get trains running on the hidden track behind the backboard. Once that was there I thought it also made sense to have the straight track come up to join it. It wasn't until they were all linked that I realised I had accidentally created quite a useful turning mechanism   ;)

Had to look up MPD. Google greeted me with Multiple Personality Disorder, Meat Packing District, and Metropolitan Police Department, before I hit paydirt with Motive Power Depot  :D  Just "The Yards" to my simple mind...

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 03:28:12 am »
Don't worry about having to convert to imperial. It's just oddities like me relate to imperial first and metric second.

As to MPD? Well I needed a laugh so thanks. It's a night shift for me here so the idea of building Multiple Personality Disorders into your layout conjured some amusing ideas. Although the latter 2 ideas could be quite legit!

Will we be treated to some pics soon? :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:29:36 am by chrispearce, Reason: Delayed inspiration. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything