!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]  (Read 775 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 02:31:54 am »
Hi James

FWIW I agree with you about the appearance of code 55 not being up to scratch, though for me the problem is sleeper size and spacing rather than the scale height (which shouldn't be far off scale).  I think that, particularly on a layout as large as yours, you have come on one of the first challenges which is where to compromise - that is a very personal choice that no one can really answer for you!

Again FWIW I don't think that you would be disappointed with the appearance of Finetrax, but for FB on wooden sleepers you might be better off hand building track (still to my mind quicker than re-wheeling everything and you would still have to handbuild wooden FB track in 2mm FS). I wouldn't have any qualms about using Peco code 55 in fiddle yards (that is precisely my plan).

Cheers, Mike

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 01:30:14 am »
Thank you for your thoughts. As to track, I am very much hoping to use fiNetrax throughout the scenic section, although, once the decorating/fitting out of my shed is completed, I should be able to buy a fiNetrax point kit or two and test how easy that they are to make before committing myself to this system. I hope that the flat bottom points will be available before long. I do not think that building points from scratch by hand is a practical proposition for a first layout (other than the small automation test layout that I have constructed).

As to compromises, the current thing that I am having to consider in relation to possible compromises is how to deal with 8 consecutive up departures of NSE locomotive hauled trains without having the same rake of coaching stock arrive from the down line when it last departed on the up line, and how I can fit 8 rakes of stock into my layout.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here