!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Loose motor axle on Minitrix Warship  (Read 153 times)

Offline Jonathan Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Loose motor axle on Minitrix Warship
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:36:21 am »
Hello!

The other day my Minitrix warship (Hermes) suddenly stopped moving. I stripped it down and found that the metal piece which allows the motor to turn the screw thing (can't remember the proper name...) on one of the bogies is loose on the motor axle.

The metal bit on the end of the axle is no longer fixed to the axle so can turn without the axle turning. This means when the motor turns, the axle does not turn the metal bit and therefore the screw in the bogie is not turned.

The slot which the metal bit turns:

My guess at fixing it is to put a small blob of polycement (or equivalent) on the axle holding the metal bit to it.

However I'm not sure if this will work: it might not be strong enough, or the glue might block the motor from sitting back in the chassis properly.

Also when I put it back together there was a short circuit somewhere so I need to figure out how I put it together wrong as well.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? It was working without any problems previously and it suddenly came loose whilst running (ie. it wasn't because of a drop or something)

Thanks,

Jonathan

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Loose motor axle on Minitrix Warship
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:02:41 pm »
Polycement won't work, that's a plastic solvent glue.

I had one suffer that problem way back in the 80s.     A tiny amount of epoxy resin on the shaft sorted it out just fine.

Something like Loctite would probably also work, or superglue although that does sometimes fail over time.

Whatever adhesive you use, just be sure you don't let it flow into the motor bearing.  Just need a tiny amount in the tip of the shaft and then push the coupling piece back into place and let the glue thoroughly harden.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:11:52 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Jonathan Prince

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:09:28 pm »
Whatever adhesive you use, just be sure you don't let it flow into the motor bearing.  Just need a tiny amount in the tip of the shaft and then push the coupling piece back into place and let the glue thoroughly harden.
The coupling piece doesn't come off at the moment, although I haven't tried too hard. If it spins, in theory it should be able to be pulled off so I'll give it another go and put glue on the tip of the axle as you suggested.

Offline Jonathan Prince

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:58:43 pm »
I've done that now and it seems to have worked (I managed to fix the short circuit by dismantling it and reassembling it a few times). Thanks for the help!

P.S. a timelapse made for my own amusement... https://photos.app.goo.gl/B4jsHVZSdaUhGGACA

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:09:11 pm »
Hi Jonathan,

This is something that happens regularly with any Minitrix loco that have the cast metal drive coupling.

In the past I've fixed it byrunning white metal into the shaft hole in the cast metal and then pushing the drive shaft in whilst keeping the drive connector hot.

You do need to havea heatsink on the driveshaft though! I used some copper croc clips for this.

In cases where it was not possible to do this i filled the hole in the cast drive cooupling with white metal and then drilled out a new hole.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations