!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bronte Steam: Fifty years of the thriving Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, By Robin Jones Review  (Read 106 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Bronte Steam: Fifty years of the thriving Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, By Robin Jones

Book Review: Again, not really a book, but a "bookmag" picked up at the local newsagent. I knew of this preserved railway, but very little about it. A quick flip through it was enough to persuade me to buy it.

It has 130 lavishly illustrated pages with excellent and in many cases, historic photographs. There are 15 chapters ranging from Chapter 1 - Dream weavers of the Worth Valley, to the last one - Now for the next 50 years and beyond.

Of course, this is the line where the BBC series "The Railway Children" was made in 1968, followed by the EMI movie in 1970. Therefore there is a substantial chapter devoted to these productions.

The publication has many interesting information panels scattered throughout, for example one listing the UK singles chart on June 29, 1968, the day the line reopened. Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap was number one. I remember it well - I was in the middle of my O levels at the time!!!

One panel is about Dr Who and the daleks... what that's doing there I'm not really sure!

Although the book is called Bronte Steam, there is a chapter devoted to diesel days on the line. The visit by the Flying Scotsman is of course covered.

What I didn't know was the line is only four and three quarter miles long! For some reason, that surprised me.

All in all, a good read, with great photos.

ISBN: 978-1-911276-46-3

Score: 4
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:43:45 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Thank you very much, George, for the review.  I am glad you enjoyed this publication.

I'm involved with the K&WVR (and the Vintage Carriages Trust and L&Y Trust - both based on the railway) and was delighted to see this 'bookazine' being published and distributed so widely.  Hopefully, it'll encourage lots of new visitors.

By the way, the K&WVR is a great place to hear steam locomotives being worked hard.  Keighley Bank is 1:66 from more or less the platform end, sharpening to 1:56.  It is also round a pretty much ninety-degree curve.  To add to the fun, mist or rain are not completely unknown in Airedale!  Diesel enthusiasts appear to really enjoy this part of the line as well.

Thanks again for the review.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Cheers John.

Even though I said a few years ago that I would not be back to the UK, I'm looking at another trip next year as a strong possibility.

Your railway will definitely be on the agenda!

A great publication which I enjoyed immensely, and definitely educational to this ex-Durham lad.

All the best

George  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here