!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Point type for a returning loop  (Read 231 times)

Offline Lapsed_newbie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Point type for a returning loop
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:45:12 pm »
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and embarking on a small N gauge project for me and my train mad son.

I used to have an N gauge model railway when I was a teenager (in the early 90s) so very very rusty in terms of terminology AND wow hasn't the hobby come on a lot technologically which is great to see plus it seems more cost effective with the advent of eBay. 

I've been scoping a small layout and very taken with some of the ideas in this layout - especially the returning loop:
http://www.scarm.info/layouts/track_plans.php?ltp=154

Can I ask, what is the type of point used that will allow a train back over the points having gone round a returning loop? I seem to recall having a point cica 1990 that allowed this capability but that was a while ago. I've worked out I could always do it with a reed switch activation on a point but am sure I remember a more elegant solution.

Any help appreciated, must say I'm really enjoying getting back into the world of N gauge :helpneededsign:.

Best,

Richie the lapsed newbie.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Point type for a returning loop
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:49:23 pm »
Welcome Richie.

The actual type of point is immaterial, you will always need some sort of polarity switch over with a reverse loop as on that plan. Are you using DCC control or conventional DC?

You can use a DPDT switch to manually change polarity, but if you're using DC you'll also need to reverse the direction of the train on the controller, you wouldn't with DCC.

If you're using DCC then you can get all manner of automatic reverse modules to handle this for you, some of which will also switch points automatically.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:51 pm »
As njee20 says, you must implement some form of polarity switching if you have a return loop (and certain other track formations such as a wye or triangle)

With regard to the point, are you thinking of a sprung point which lets the train push through the blades if they're set the wrong way?  Not so easy to do with the commonly used Peco track, but some other brands may allow it, it depends of having a very light spring.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:45:03 pm »
Welcome to our friendly forum Richie and as you've already experienced they're a helpful bunch of guys and girls on here and you'll get all the support you'll need to end up with a layout of your dreams.

:welcomesign:

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:32:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Richie :wave:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 12:12:21 am »
G'day from Australia, Richie, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

A lot of reversing loops I've seen have used a wye point, but as has been said, it doesn't really matter what kind of point it is.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Lapsed_newbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:34 am »
Hi all,

Many thanks for the responses they are all very useful.

The polarity issue isn't something I had thought about but now makes perfect sense. I do wonder if its another reason to contemplate DCC which I had ruled out for this first layout which is in part for my son to use as well, I wanted to keep it simple for him.

If I go with a DPDT switch / powered by DC it would mean the train would need to stop which seems a shame. Think I'll revisit the track plan on this one, many thanks all for the advice, it seems like a great forum.

Best,

Richie

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 10:22:08 am »
Yep, obviously if you do away with the bridge crossing the layout diagonally and just have that loop dropping down to join the inner loop then no reverse loop is created.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here