!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Transport models Preston  (Read 455 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Transport models Preston
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:32 pm »
For what it's worth -as I was traversing the streets of Preston yesterday -i noticed a sign on the gates of Transport Models shop  in the old mill -big letters -relocation sale now on !!!!  Noticed it's all up for sale -altho all the buildings around it have been flattened -i assume that will go the same way -although I think it's owned by the Oyston family ( of Blackpool f.c )
Havn't heard where there going yet -but ive known Mark and Liz for years - in fact they started a shop by the police station and I was no 4 customer !!!
Not the cheapest and I know people rant too keen on soon of the staff there - but if it goes -that's another railway shop gone !!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:52:29 am by outofgauge »
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Transport models Preston
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:14:58 pm »
It would be a shame if it does fail. Liz always helped out with raffle prizes when they were needed.

Offline stevewalker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:23:56 pm »
"Relocation sale" does imply that they are not closing, just moving and if it is because the site is being redeveloped rather than the owners moving away, maybe they'll not be too far away.

Online Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:38:32 pm »
I used to visit a model shop in Preston back in the late 90s, canít remember the name of it though, I believe it was on Corporation Street? I assume it closed as I canít find any references to it anymore.

Hope the relocation for this shop is successful, glad to see itís not another brick and mortar closing down.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 12:39:30 am »
They have a very active ebay store. They seem to be doing things right. Their feedback is only 5 negative out of 10k+ and one of the negative was actually positive feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/transportmodelsofpreston

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:50:09 am »
Your right intercity -there was a shop up a side street off corperation street -the owner retired -Mark and Liz bought his stock when they started up by the police station in town. It was similar to Hattons original shop in Liverpool -there was stuff everywhere -up/down left /right if there was more than 3 in the shop you couldn't look round!  Might call this weekend and find out what's what -will update if I do! Have to say I stopped going because it was expensive -in terms of internet buys /Hattons prices (10mins from where I work)  so I'm guilty of not supporting them too  :-[
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:53:26 am by outofgauge, Reason: Names »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:46:41 am »
They have a very active ebay store. They seem to be doing things right. Their feedback is only 5 negative out of 10k+ and one of the negative was actually positive feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/transportmodelsofpreston

I believe they are extremely well known in wargaming circles and that is where their main income lies. Once your face becomes known then you can get 10% off rolling stock and other items but never locos.

Online Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:03:54 am »
I used to call in quite regularly when I was travelling from one site to another whilst gainfully employed. I have bought loads from there and always been happy with the service. As I am now retired, have not had chance to get up to that "neck of the woods".
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:56:12 pm »
UPDATE -- Called into Transport models this morning -A for a snoop in the second hand cabinet as always and B . Find out what's what . First thing the relocation sale is in full swing with 25% of paints, plastic kits ( all of them ) n gauge coaches and wagons . 10% off locomotives . Secondly and the important bit -nobody knows were there going at the minute or what's happening ! The building is called Oystons Mill and is owned  by the Oyston family of Blackpool f.c infamy -now as they have had ALL of their assets siezed by the courts over non payment of several millions to A.N other person involved with Blackpool f.c -everything is in limbo -the building is up for sale /lease - but if a buyer is found -he may wish to redevelop it (without the model shop) he may flatten it (again no model shop ) or leave the model shop ge and do something with the rest of it ?????? As it stands there just selling stuff cheaper and  reducing stock !!! Staff said it's a bit up the wall !!!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 08:18:14 pm »
Ta for the update, Neil.
Doesn't sound good but let's hope they can survive there or somewhere near.

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun ŗ son goŻt!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 11:04:27 pm »
I meant to say, I was in there maybe three or four weeks ago, and everything seemed perfectly normal.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Lankyman

• N Gauge Society Number: 22227
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »
I have just read in the Lancashire Post tonight that nPower have advised Transport Models and other businesses occupying Oyston Mill that the power will be switched off in nine days time because Owen Oyston hasn't paid the electricity bill. Mr Oyston is quoted as saying that it is all a big mistake because the bank account he uses to pay this bill has bee frozen by the Courts in his dispute with Valery Belokon but he will pay the bill and everything will be all right. Apparently all the businesses in the mill are on rolling monthly leases so they could be shut down at with only a months notice.

Ron
Ron

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 08:27:02 am »
 :worried:

That doesnít sound very good. I do hope the model shop owners can find another location (a big ask I know).

I firmly believe model shops are vital for the hobby, both for modellers to inspect products first hand and for newcomers to be enticed.

I dislike how in situations like the one described above, itís normally the small business owners (no disrespect to Transport Models, I use the term ďsmall businessĒ in an economics context) who end up suffering.

Skyline2uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
A fellow N gauger from our gym went to Transport Models end of last week and tells me they have 25% off everything. Now to me, that doesn't sound like a business intending to set up elsewhere as why would you do that? Sorry, but I think this could be the end for them :(

Offline Lankyman

• N Gauge Society Number: 22227
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 09:27:14 pm »
An article in the Lancashire Post today says that the power is still on in Oyston Mill, Preston. Apparently Mr Oyston paid the bill a couple of days after the last report. The newspaper carries an interview with the owner of Transport Models but apparently none of the businesses have any idea what Mr Oyston is planning so the future is still uncertain.

Ropn
Ron

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything