!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived  (Read 1677 times)

Online LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived
« on: July 30, 2018, 05:49:56 am »
After about seven years of messing around with AnyRail and looking enviously at the amazing model railways on the Interwebs, I've taken the plunge, (mainly because of all the nice things you all had to say about my track plan) and started construction of the baseboards.

Lessons learned so far today:

1) Even though I've lived in California for 25 years and I'm bilingual in both flavors of English, I cannot pronounce "solder" the way the Americans do. When I try, the hardware store staff give me funny looks and get busy doing something really important, like counting the number of packs of drywall screws in stock. It's not fair, I've mastered "spackle" and I know that "PVA" is not something you ask for either. Getting back to solder, apparently there is no such thing as flux any more. Weird.

2) Measuring twice and cutting once isn't nearly enough measuring. It's a good job I anticipated that (or anticipated my own ineptitude) and bought more plywood than would be deemed pessimistic, even by a pessimist.

3) There's no substitute for power tools, especially the wood-cutting varieties.

4) Although I didn't learn this today, I confirmed that the just reward for an achievement such as building half a baseboard is a cold beer from the refrigerator, poured into a tall glass covered in frost pulled straight out of the freezer.

I'll post a picture when baseboard #1 is complete. I've only finished the "upper" bit, and that took two attempts. Thanks for the encouragement that got me to this point!

BTW, if anyone can come up with a good reason why a GWR Castle class locomotive should be pulling a rake of four MK1 crimson coaches into a branch line station which is now the end of the line due to Beeching, I'd love to hear it.  I couldn't stop myself when I saw the Graham Farish model, so now I need to figure out how to justify the fact it's in my station (when the station actually gets built!).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:57:09 am by LASteve, Reason: Typos »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 06:01:42 am »
Good to hear that construction has commenced. Looking forward to the pics!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 06:10:56 am »
BTW, if anyone can come up with a good reason why a GWR Castle class locomotive should be pulling a rake of four MK1 crimson coaches into a branch line station which is now the end of the line due to Beeching, I'd love to hear it.  I couldn't stop myself when I saw the Graham Farish model, so now I need to figure out how to justify the fact it's in my station (when the station actually gets built!).

its called rule 1,  ;D

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:03:10 am »

its called rule 1,  ;D

Or a railtour?

The more I look, the more "unprototypical" workings I find around the mid-1960s due to various "end of steam" railtours. In general, I'm finding if you search the internet long enough, you can find a justification for pretty much anything  :beers:
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:14:00 am »
1) Even though I've lived in California for 25 years and I'm bilingual in both flavors of English, I cannot pronounce "solder" the way the Americans do.

So how do you pronounce "solder" in American?

I ask because someone asked me the other day how I pronounce it, and my answer was "solduh", though it's not a word I use in normal conversation and after 25+ years outside English speaking countries my pronunciation is not definitive.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:23 am »
I've always pronounced it sold as in selling something, followed by errr.

I've found Americans pronounce solder as in Sol, as in a Martian day, one Sol, followed by derrr.

;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:27:46 am by Bealman »

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:16 am »
I've always pronounced it sold as in selling something, followed by errr.

I've found Americans pronounce solder as in Sol, as in a Martian day, one Sol, followed by derrr.

;)

Hereabouts (south-central Scotland), it would not be unusual to hear it pronounced as 'sow-der' (to rhyme with 'chowder').  And the soldering iron would likely be a 'sowdering bolt'.  This would most likely to be heard from older chaps.  As a student I had a job with a plumber and it was best to hear how he pronounced something before I said it myself.  Otherwise - potential humiliation for being a 'coallege boay'!
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:41:32 am »
The one I've come across in my travels in the USA is 'sodderrr'.

???
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:48:38 am »
Anyway, it doesn't really matter....

The op has his layout started!  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:53:56 am »

its called rule 1,  ;D

Or a railtour?

The more I look, the more "unprototypical" workings I find around the mid-1960s due to various "end of steam" railtours. In general, I'm finding if you search the internet long enough, you can find a justification for pretty much anything  :beers:

Railsquid has the answer. In the 1960s as stations closed and lines were lifted, many railtours were seen all over Britain visiting on the basis the line concerned would probably never be seen again.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 09:57:28 am »
Yes indeed. I have many books with similar pics from that particular time.  :thumbsup:

Online LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 03:07:56 am »
A quick update while I'm sitting on the plane somewhere over the Rockies. It's dangerous up here having Internet access and idle hands, I just ordered three Dapol Collett "blood and custard" coaches from Model Railways Direct. They make it too easy.

Anyway, I've finished building the baseboards. I used 5mm ply laid on a framework of 2x1s. There are six boards, three "lower" and three "upper". All the track work is going on the upper level, right now those boards are just sitting on the lower ones and will stay like that until I've laid the track and done as much of the wiring and point motor installs as I can before I have to start crawling around underneath to finish up. I've put in the main bus wire (16 AWG); the droppers are 22 AWG. I've wired up the programming track and started to lay the track in the fiddle yard. I decided to start there so that I could hone my non-existent soldering, joining and track-snipping-and-filing skills without making a bugger's muddle of the scenic section right off the bat.

I spent hours reading up on how to modify the wiring on electrofrog points before I realized that I was reading how to modify the OO gauge ones. When the actual track was delivered and I turned the points over, I found zero resemblance whatsoever to what I'd been reading. I've decided for now to leave them as they are and just wire the throats and let the built-in point connectivity take care of carrying the current adequately, obviously making sure I keep everything clean. If anyone has any advice on a better approach, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

I'm going to be using DC Concepts point motors, obviously I won't need the polarity switch feed if I'm going to leave the points themselves alone.

I'll take some pictures when I get home and post them.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 04:18:47 am »
Hi Steve,

Sorry can't help with your track laying as a Kato man so just to say hi and looking forward to your pics and future build.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 07:00:14 am »
These sound like the new Unifrog points that have built in droppers and the option of connecting the point blades to the frogs or leaving them seperate.  I haven't tried them yet, but I might buy one just to investigate.  Out of the box, they act like an Insulfrog, but if you connect the wires they become Electrofrog.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 07:51:40 am »
You can read about the unifrog points here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41644.15
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations