!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Query about the Gloucester Parcels Railcar (Class 128)  (Read 269 times)

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
Query about the Gloucester Parcels Railcar (Class 128)
« on: July 24, 2018, 10:19:13 pm »
I am in the early stages of putting together an N gauge layout set in the Thames Valley in the 1980s, and I notice that one of the members here has a Shapeways shop with a Gloucester Parcels Railcar to fit a Dapol class 121/122 chassis, which I thought might be quite useful for my layout.

I have just acquired a Dapol class 122 chassis at a good price from eBay, and went to order the class 128 body shell to go with it, only to notice that neither of the types offered seem correct for the period and area that I am modelling. There is one, which represents the correct Western Region style with gangways, but depicts it in the earlier condition of having headcode boxes. There is another depicting the version without gangways or headcode boxes as I believe ran on the Midland Region.

However, there is not one representing how they ran on the Western Region in the 1980s, with gangways and without headcode boxes, thus:

Class 128 at Paddington by Bingley Hall, on Flickr

Is it possible to modify one or other of the versions available to suit this period, or alternatively might it even be possible for this alternative version to be produced?

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Query about the Gloucester Parcels Railcar (Class 128)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:57:20 pm »
Hi James, welcome aboard! :wave:

I'd say removing the headcode boxes (from the first linked body-shell) is doable. Gently file/Dremel the headcode boxes away, and you should be ok.

Else, maybe @Only Me  would be willing to modify the print file for you(?).
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 12:03:28 am »
Thank you for your reply and welcome! I had wondered about removing the headcode boxes, but I note that the lighting recesses below are plain holes rather than the shaped and extruded parts as on the actual vehicle and shown in the model for the non-gangwayed version, so I am not sure whether that would look right.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 12:50:23 am »
For the lights, I'd find the correct diameter plastruct rod, saw discs off to the correct thickness, and then drill the centre. It's a judgement call as to whether to drill before/after fitting the discs to the shell - personally I'd knock up a simple jig to drill them after fitting.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:47:36 am »
B H Enterprises do a kit for the 128 parcels car but to be honest I donít know which ends it has ,if you drop Ray an Email at   
bhengauge@googlemail.com and ask him he will be able to sell you just the ends IF they are what you are looking for .
Please note you will not get an answer straight away Ray is not that good with Emails .you could try ringing him on 01923 672809 again you might have to try a couple of times to get through.
Hope this helps .
Bob Tidbury

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 12:37:49 pm »
For the lights, I'd find the correct diameter plastruct rod, saw discs off to the correct thickness, and then drill the centre. It's a judgement call as to whether to drill before/after fitting the discs to the shell - personally I'd knock up a simple jig to drill them after fitting.

Or buy a plastruct tube and save yourself drilling a rod.

Dodger

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »

Or buy a plastruct tube and save yourself drilling a rod.

Dodger

An interesting idea - does anyone have an idea what the correct diameter would be?

Thank you all for your assistance so far, incidentally.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here