!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: More DCC Decoder help  (Read 534 times)

Offline stuartgoble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27997
    • Awards
More DCC Decoder help
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:24:30 pm »
Hi All,

I've a Dapol Hall Class 'Hinderton Hall' (ND-135OSB1/B) which is DCC ready with a 6 pin socket.  However, I've tried to fit a Zimo MX622N and it's too big/long and fouls the inside top of the tender.

Does anyone have any ideas on a smaller DCC chip?  It just needs to be about 3mm shorter...  Or any mods others may have had to do??

Many thanks,
Stu...

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
Re: More DCC Decoder help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:41:03 pm »
As an add on question, does anyone have any experience with the Zimo MX616N which does look a lot smaller.

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:07:33 pm »
Hi All,

I've a Dapol Hall Class 'Hinderton Hall' (ND-135OSB1/B) which is DCC ready with a 6 pin socket.  However, I've tried to fit a Zimo MX622N and it's too big/long and fouls the inside top of the tender.

Does anyone have any ideas on a smaller DCC chip?  It just needs to be about 3mm shorter...  Or any mods others may have had to do??

Many thanks,
Stu...

Lenz silver mini or digitrax dz126IN will fit

Online Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:08:49 pm »
An MX616 will fit no problem. I fitted one to a Farish 03 without any issues

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:02:47 pm »
mine has a ct elektronics chip in it.  i can't recall what the model number is.

it's a bit of a strange one because it uses different cv values compared to the other manufacturers

tim

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:28:23 pm »
I have an MX622N in one of my Halls. IIRC I freed the DCC socket from its mountings allowing it to reposition inside the tender.

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:58:13 pm »
The Gaugmaster DCC23 will also fit as it's the same as the digitrax dz126IN but might be easier to get.

Paul

Online Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:30:46 am »
The Gaugemaster is the standard fit for Dapolís dcc installed locos. It is smaller than most, but IMHO not a very good decoder. I have several A4ís which have the same issue with decoder size and started with a DCC23, but found the locos a lot quieter with other chips. I used the Lenz siliver mini in mine, but did also end up trying the floating pcb trick with a Bachmann Zimo, similar to the MX622 and that was even quieter / smoother.

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 02:59:39 pm »
As a follow up to this thread, I've now got hold of a NX616N decoder from Zimo and even with that being the smallest decoder I can find, I cannot re-fit the tender body.

Hopefully, the photo uploaded and you can see the problem.

I even tried fitting a Lenz Silver Mini extracted from one of the other locos, which although narrower, but longer and again, fouled with the top of the tender body.

So am I being daft, missing something, or do I have a duffer chuffer... :)

Many thanks,
Stu...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:19:37 pm by stuartgoble »

Online Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 03:20:20 pm »
I am not familiar with the internal arrangement of the Hall tender. If it is the same as the A4, with the dcc socket pcb fitted behind the motor, at an angle with the socket facing Ďuphillí, can you unscrew the fixings holding to pcb to the tender chassis and allow it to float in there on the wires? The pcb could then move down a bit to accommodate the decoder.

Theee is also the ESU Lokpilot Standard Nano, available from Coastal DCC which I think is the smallest I have seen, but I canít offer any comment on its performance, though I has one of the larger minií which was ok, similar to the the Lenz but not as good in my opinion as the Zimo.

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 03:44:04 pm »
Having removed the screws the hold the board to the mount, there are two posts that prevent it floating down, or it's too long overall to float horizontally.

Looking at the blanking plug versus the decoder it's even smaller than normal blanking plugs and much thinner.  Although the decoder is somewhat thicker.

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »
This is very odd, that Zimo decoder should fit with loads of room, can you post a picture showing the inside of the tender, just in case there is something obvious there.

The decoder is shorter than the blanking plug so should fit without issue.

Paul

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 04:31:04 pm »
There's a lip between where the coal and the water tank are.  You can see where the various chips have been fouling the top by the marks in the plastic.

One option is to have a go with the Dremel, but the plastic is pretty thin there.

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
This depends on views on soldering and warranties, but having seen inside on the pictures, this is what I'd do:

1 - remove those three capacitors from the motor.  They usually only serve to confuse a DCC decoder's PWM sensing, leading to less good low speed running. 

2 - I'd be inclined to hard-wire the decoder (by removing the pins on the Zimo decoder and soldering wires in their place), but alternatively, one could chop quite a bit off the PCB without affecting its function, and moving the screw fixing holes along on the PCB.  The PCB appears to be designed to support more features (such as lights) which are not actually used. 

- Nigel

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 04:35:06 pm »
Hardwiring was one option I was considering as a bit of a last resort.  You can get a NX616 with wires, so was going to remove the PCB all together and hardwire the decoder to the motor assembly.

Good point about the capacitors, I've no idea why Dapol still fit these with DCC compatible locos.

Stu...

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here