!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Class 47. 372-243: Frying decoders  (Read 221 times)

Offline Ryanontherails

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26919
    • Awards
Farish Class 47. 372-243: Frying decoders
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:39 pm »
Hi all.
Seeking some assistance please with my Farish 372-243, Class 47, Saint Andrew. Fitted with DCC - LaisDCC 6pin.
It has been running really good since purchase until last night! After getting my boards set up and tested, I had it out for a run. It worked fine running in one direction but when I changed direction, headlights changed and lit but when applying a couple of steps on the speed my dynamis controller showed short circuit. I took it off to check underneath, all fine. Quick check of the layout for any debris, nothing found.  Pop lock back down on track and same happened again but this time it fried my decoder!
I swapped the decoder out for a spare and the same thing happened, fine in one direction, short on the other direction so spare decoder swiftly removed
I took the loco apart to check if everything was where it should be. Couldn’t see anything obviously wrong. Also looking for any dirt and debris but nothing at all. All clean, my locos go straight back in the box after running so I wasn’t expecting to find anything out of the ordinary inside to be honest.
So then spare decoder fitted again, power up the track. Headlights on for a couple of seconds then the spare decoder also suffers a fry!!!
My other 2 loco’s (Farish/TMC Class 37’s) are running fine, they are also fitted with LaisDCC 6pins.
Stuck now with what could be wrong and how to proceed so some friendly advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Ryan.

Offline bmwm4rkym4rk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Farish Class 47. 372-243: Frying decoders
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:53:55 pm »
take the can motor out and turn the shaft with your fingers with a small pull to the brush side check if the armature jams if it does or feels rough inside then its a new motor as the commutator has melted also check the tabs that contact pcb to motor are not touching the chassis

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:48:05 am »
Also check the 2 screws holding the PCB in place are tight, as if slightly loose it can move when changing direction and the tabs that contact the motor are so close the the chassis they can short if the PCB  moves enough

Paul.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Ryanontherails

• N Gauge Society Number: 26919
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:12:55 pm »
Thanks to both for your replies. I will take another look inside tonight and report back with what I can find.

Thank you
Ryan.

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:12 pm »
take the can motor out and turn the shaft with your fingers with a small pull to the brush side check if the armature jams if it does or feels rough inside then its a new motor as the commutator has melted also check the tabs that contact pcb to motor are not touching the chassis
If you do this also check the resistance between the motor terminals if you can.  I had a couple of motors that did this and the resistance went down from the normal 25 ohms or so down to about zero. 

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here