!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Dead" Farish A1  (Read 187 times)

Offline doug22150

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
"Dead" Farish A1
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:40:42 pm »
My most recent Ebay purchase has a been a "mint/test run only" Farish A1 "North Eastern". Seller has offered me a full refund and that is probably the best option, but I'm intrigued as to why the motor is now completely dead! When placed on my DC test track, the loco. would not respond at all to power. I then tried apply power direct to each side of the split tender chassis and finally, direct to the motor terminals with no response whatever from the motor. Is it possible that oil contamination could terminally affect the motor in this way? It was noticeable that there was an accumulation of oil under the tender keep plate and the rear bearing of the motor also looks slightly oily. I can think of no other explanation for this. The loco. has previously been test run only but then remained unused.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: "Dead" Farish A1
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:06:48 pm »
Did you try turning the motor over by hand whilst applying direct power? If it is contamination that might clear it, but it might be a dead coil segment so best to return it if it was sold as tested and working.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:12:51 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion.  No, I haven't tried that because it would entail dismantling the halves of the split tender frames to access the motor. The only part of the motor/worm drive that is visible is the back of the motor shaft. Logic says that I should send it back but it is intruiging me! I wiped off excess oil yesterday but having left it standing overnight, there was another accumulation of the keep plate today. It looks as though the gear train has been lubricated with oil instead of grease and I strongly suspect that being in the post in such hot weather, the oil has found its way into the motor.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:04:58 am »
First to appreciate, oil is an insulator. These latest Bachmann Farish designs should no be oiled. The tender pickups are phosphur bronze bushes in the split chassis, the wheels have integral bosses that run in the bushes. These should be bone dry and only a feint smear of grease on the gear teeth. Its probably been enthusiastically oiled by the previous owner, the Bachmann instructions only instruct a dab of oil on the motor bearings with no mention of axle bushes.
Given that its dripping oil from the chassis plate then oil has probably seeped inside the motor and blinded the commutator with oil and insulated it.
With the old Poole design its easy to flush out incorrectly applied oil and recoved a ‘dead’ motor. With these latest tin can Bachmann motors you cant do that as you cant dismantle the motor.
The repair will be a total flush of both loco chassis and tender chassis and a replacement motor ((£18.00 ish).
To conclude, send it back and note never to oil latest Bachmann Farish, just keep scrupulous clean. I use Holts aerosol car brake cleaner, its a fast evaporative solvent cleaner that doesnt attack paint or plastic (other makes work like paint stripper so beware; ive used the Holts brand for years also on clock cleaning, its a shiny steel upper and red lower on its can)

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:39:05 pm »
Thanks for confirming my suspicions and for the very valuable advice on Farish locos.. I am now aware that the vendor tested the loco. before listing but on DCC instead of DC power! I'm not sure what that would do to the motor, given that he hadn't put a DCC chip into the tender and the DC blanking plate was still in situ.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »
Just as an add on note, i 99% buy spares or repairs projects on ebay, ive bought a number of poor runners of this later design. On the locos i undo the bottom cover plate and lift out the wheelsets enough to slide in a rolled up piece of kitchen towel as a nappy and blast the oil out of those phosphur bronze axlebushes with the Holts aerosol, remove nappy and replace with clean nappy, repeat once more. The tender drive needs similar activity. Run the loco a few evenings, i normally have to repeat this degreasing twice as the oil still leaches outcif the granular mix of the bearings. Enthusiastic innappropriate oiling by others has inadvertently given me a source of fine lower cost locos.
Kind regards

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 04:10:28 pm »
Thanks again for that further advice - will buy a can of the Holts product tomorrow! I think that some modellers confuse Dapol lubrication advice (to oil and NOT grease the drive train) with the Bachfar advice, which is the opposite)!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »
To be honest with any brand of loco it depends on the mechanism design as to exactly what should be oiled, what should be greased and what should be left well alone!    You will gain experience over time, but generally (as has been written before in many such threads) over-lubrication can do more harm than under-lubrication.  When you do apply oil or grease it must be only the tiniest amount on a pin-tip. You can tell when high speed bearings need lube - they will scream!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything