!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rugby North Yard  (Read 626 times)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Rugby North Yard
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:49:37 pm »
Hello all.

Beings Sutton St Annes has no more booked shows until January 2019, I have been chomping at the bit.

I'm currently looking into starting a new 'mini project' or some may say micro layout. Having worked at Rugby for over 11 years now for 'cough cough' Network Rail, I have always wanted to model a little part of it. In the past I have looked in modelling what used to be the OHLM depot (now Colas Rail) The southern approach with the PSB and "Birdcage" still in situ over the mainlines also a couple of other areas of interest. Modelling Rugby as a whole is out of the question, but I think I may have finally settled on a plan...

Rugby North Yard.

Outlined in red is the main area of modelling interest. An edited and cropped photo used with permission from the owner. Below is the original...

This photo was taken from the lighting tower in 2003. Sadly today only some of the yard survives since the remodelling in 2007/08. The virtual quarry is no more, this is now an access road for maintenance staff and the sidings have a changed a little too. The rest has virtually gone. So this photo has become invaluable for a track plan. 

I have never modelled an actual location before, so this will be a little challenging, but already becoming rather exciting. After spending a few hours on Flickr, it has come up trumps with some great reference photos of the period that I would like to model, this being 1997 - early 2000's.

I was out in the garden Monday night having a little fettle on the patio table with the tape measure, track and some stock. Luckily the Mrs was at work, so I didn't disturb her whilst she was chilling with a glass of wine :-X

To start with I laid out a length of masking tape (4' in length) and started to place down some pieces of track to represent the sidings that I am wanting to be model. The current width is 12" at the edge of the table, but I will increase this to 16" so I can model the mounds of stock piled ballast that was the virtual quarry. The up arrival line will be modelled, but this will be cut off at the bottom left hand corner. This will give a feeling that the line has diverged off the up goods, but not modelled on the layout.

Still lots more to do, but I now have 2 sheets of 4' x 16" 9mm ply to have a further play with before constructing the boards proper. As I say, this will be a small representation of Rugby yard and will not be modelled to scale. I think even at 4' x 16" wide it will still have a great feel to it. I will also be modelling the lighting tower. I feel this will set the layout off a treat and if you are familiar with the area it will make the layout very identifiable. Here's a few photos I took last night whilst at work. After the England game obviously :claphappy: Shes a beast!

The area by the last photo above has changed considerably in the last 20 years...

I was stood taking photos of the lighting tower roughly where the Mainline blue 58 is parked. Photo taken in 1999! This area is now container stores for the maintenance staff and an access road to Rugby ROC depot.

A couple more photos of what I am aiming for. Shared with permission from the owner.

Photo below is a nice one. From L-R we have a single 37 sat on stabling road 1 with a rake of Sea Urchins. Then a pair of 37's (IC 37 is 510) with a rake of Seacows on stabling road 2. Another rake of Sea Urchins is sat on the Up Arrival. UID EWS 37 can be seen on the third siding across from the virtual quarry with a rake of Railtrack PNA wagons (I'm going to busy kit building ain't i !) Luckily the NGS produce PNA's, so these will not prove an issue. I have loads of Farish Dutch Seacows, but the Sea Urchins I only have a few off. So I will need to look further into producing some of these... Chuck in a few other wagon varieties and bobs your uncle. Locos are not an issue as I spray all my own plus I already have a good little fleet suitable for the period wanting to be modelled. 

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley Colliery was Airesby Colliery - Exhibition layout with Merry-Go-Round trains set in the early 1990's - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43295.new#new

Next exhibition for SSA - DEFine modellers day - Saturday 12th January 2019. Risley Village Hall, Derby Road, Risley, Derby, DE72 3SU

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Rugby North Yard
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:35:41 pm »
thanks for the memories. your near coventry ? remember the location well by the junction and the flyover bringing the birmingham line over the lines to the trent valley

look forward to the ptoject
chris

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:43 pm »
thanks for the memories. your near coventry ? remember the location well by the junction and the flyover bringing the birmingham line over the lines to the trent valley

look forward to the ptoject
chris

You're very welcome Chris.

I actually live in Bedworth now, but born and bred in Coventry. I have many a happy memory of Rugby. Sadly now RY station is a shadow of it's former self, but that progress? :'( To be fair, Rugby was always a bottle neck, and when the Pendolinos were being introduced, Virgin wanted Network Rail to do something about it, hence the remodelling project which began in late 2007 through to mid 2008.

Cheers
Anthony 
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley Colliery was Airesby Colliery - Exhibition layout with Merry-Go-Round trains set in the early 1990's - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43295.new#new

Next exhibition for SSA - DEFine modellers day - Saturday 12th January 2019. Risley Village Hall, Derby Road, Risley, Derby, DE72 3SU

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:20:15 pm »
anthony

do like sutton st annes and this sounds a great projecty, it takes me 90 minutes up to rugby. are yours a home based or exhibition layouts ?

im a modern image era man, but wcml is my thing, having helped with other exhibitions and a great chatterbox. mike watts was my mentor, but be great to see progress

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 07:27:32 pm »
and views of the past :

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/rugby_station.htm

how its much changed down the century !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 07:38:12 pm »
Evening all

I wasn't going to mention much on the stock side of things until the layout had progressed a little further, but I just couldn't help sharing this one. 

LMS black 08601. A full respray of a new tool 08. 601 spent some time at Rugby in the late 90's after being a Bescot resident for some years. I modelled this some time back, after looking into modelling a part of Becscot down yard. Plans fell through, but how bizarre that I can now use it for Rugby North Yard ;) I didn't plan this, honest :smiley-laughing:

Here's the real one shunting Seacows at Rugby yard...

Note that the 6 has either peeled away or scratched off over time. I shall be leaving my model as it is.

Cheers
Anthony

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 07:42:45 pm »
thank you

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 07:47:38 pm »
anthony

do like sutton st annes and this sounds a great projecty, it takes me 90 minutes up to rugby. are yours a home based or exhibition layouts ?

im a modern image era man, but wcml is my thing, having helped with other exhibitions and a great chatterbox. mike watts was my mentor, but be great to see progress

Thank you.

Sutton St Annes is already an exhibition layout and I also plan exhibiting Rugby North.

Cheers
Anthony

Offline mark100

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 07:50:56 pm »
There use to be a cracking Goods Shed at the North end with sidings and a coal yard, that road vehicles accessed via wood street.
I remember seeing Peaks, 40's and 58's delivering to the coal yard.
It was all demolished around 1985 - 86 
It was next to a multi story building with a 2 level car park it was called Myson House back then, I don't know what its called now.

I had a look on Google but couldn't find photos.

If anyone has photo's it would be nice to see them.

You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 07:54:23 pm »
be interesting to meet

im still building my layout, but i have exhibited with mike watts, sprinfield spa fame, and helped answer questions for a man building his first ever layout !!!

do let us knoW WHEN YOUR on the exhibition circuit

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »
Watching with interest! Id love to do the whole station, but even with some compression I reckon you need c10m to avoid it being too squashed!

should be good though.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:15 pm »
reckon the peaks class 45s came down from tunstall / northwich via birmingham direction - i remember them

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 08:12:05 pm »
Not in the late 90s they didn't!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 08:14:38 pm »