!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DCC Decoder Selection  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
Re: DCC Decoder Selection
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 08:07:20 am »
 :thankyousign: @Bramshot , @Paul-H and @Nigel Cliffe , for all you help. It is most appreciated, I will be going ahead and getting some of the 622N's to make a start. Fortunately my current DC layout is powered by very stable 12v Philips scientific supply and the controllers hand built from a diagram out of a mag some 30yrs ago.

As for the control system I know I have to buy a Digitrax to operate at the club I have just joined so may just stay with that, although I will be reading lots before I make any final decisions.

cheers

Graham

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 09:08:23 am »
Hi

Just because your club uses digitrax does not mean you have to, as decoder fitted locos run on any system, regardless of what system was used to program them.

I use gaugemaster and my club uses digitrax and Lenz and my Locos run without issue on the clubs layouts.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 10:57:20 am »
...  and I believe the Gaugemaster is a Digitrax unit, as it happens.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:43 am »

Gaugemaster is a re-badged MRC unit.  No connection with Digitrax...

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 11:08:24 am »

I heard otherwise, you may be correct, but it looks identical to the Digitrax DZ126IN, and Gaugemaster are using exactly the same wiring diagram in their manual as appears in the Digitrax manual.

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
It does look like its a clone of their DH126IN and parts of the instructions are identical, looks to me to be of Digitrax origin with Gaugemaster getting it supplied by MRC and MRC getting them supplied by Digitrax, no wonder they are so expensive with all that rebadging and profits for each supplier needed.  8)
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 11:50:04 am »
Ah you guys talking about the same things?  Gaugemaster DCC systems are rebadged MRC,  but Gaugemaster decoders are rebadged Digitrax I think?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 11:50:20 am »

I heard otherwise, you may be correct, but it looks identical to the Digitrax DZ126IN, and Gaugemaster are using exactly the same wiring diagram in their manual as appears in the Digitrax manual.

Oh, crossed wires.    I thought you were describing control systems, not decoders.

Decoders, anything should work on any system.  Otherwise it isn't DCC.  And yes, some Gaugemaster decoders are a re-badged Digitrax of some sort or another.    (And both are no-where when it comes to decoder performance, so forget it and buy the Zimo mentioned earlier !)

Control systems tend to be "can't mix makes, unless you are confident in your information about cross-compatibility".   With those, Gaugemaster get their systems from MRC.   

- Nigel

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 08:19:37 pm »
I believe the Gaugemaster decoders were originally Digitrax DZ121 and later the DZ123 but de-rated with less CV options and before Digitrax improved their motor running options but still not a patch on the Zimo decoders.

Offline Graham

• Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:58 am »
first shipment of decoders( 622N) ordered and received inside a week, Great job from the team at YouChoos.

All tested on DC, now to take them to the club for programming and testing on DCC.

thanks to all above who provided me with guidance.

cheers
Graham
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:40:09 pm by Railwaygun, Reason: clarification »

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 08:48:46 pm »
For control I use a NEC Powercab system with smartbooster.  This is also the standard at Bingham MRC, mostly because most people had them already.

As far as chips are concerned, if they have made one and it sits inside an N-gauge loco I have probably got at least one is use somewhere.  No real problem children with one major exception.

I have had no end of problems over the years with blue Bachmann chips losing the plot. It only needs a loco somewhere on the layout to derail and cause a short for any other loco fitted with a blue Bachmann chip to forget its address in the brief current spike before the overload cutout trips.  Consequently I don't buy Bachmann chips.

More recently I have been very impressed by Lais DCC chips, and at a tenner a throw they are good value - EXCEPT that they are too big to go in most N-gauge locos.  Shame, but I'm currently  playing experimenting with DCC fitting ancient HO locos and the Lais chips are ideal for this.

Les

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 09:55:46 pm »
The blue sleeved Bachmann chip is the old one, I have several and while they are not as good as the new one I haven’t had the problems you describe. The new ones are Zimo’s as mentioned numerous times elsewhere in this thread, and are actually very good, let down only by their soft pins.
Subsequent to my previous post, I  found that these do fit into Dapol A4’s, if you remove the screw from the pcb in the tender, and let it ‘float’ in the available space in the tender.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 08:57:32 am »
There's little point in actually buying the new Bachmann one though, as it's actually more expensive than the Zimo branded offering. I trim the pins with some sidecutters and then put a little kink in them with some pliers, otherwise they certainly can be too loose.

Also not had any issues with the older 36-558 chips although I don't think they're all that good.

The only ones I have consistently had problems with are Digitrax, where a short tends to cause a runaway on all fitted locos unless DC running is switched off. I've mitigated this by not using Digitrax chips anymore - MX622Ns at £20 really killed their worthwhile!

Offline Graham

• Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 08:31:19 am »
after the successful help provided so far this is perhaps another simple question.

I have a number of Farish loco's which are "DCC ready" and thought i could just get a wired decoder to put into them, given i have used the Zimo 622's so far i assumed it would be a 6 wire version of that, however when i looked at the diag on the farish tech sheet it shows 7 wire connections.

however in looking at the various wired decoders they either have 6 or 8 wires, so i suppose the question is do i get a 6 wire decoder and then how does that connect to the pcb or do i get a 8 wire decoder and which wire do i leave unconnected.

maybe i am just missing something and there is a very simple answer to this.
cheers
Graham

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 09:53:36 am »
Do you mean DCC compatible rather than DCC ready, as the latter usually implies there's a DCC socket ready for a plug-in decoder.

For Farish locos you need only a 6 wire decoder suitable for N Gauge; 4 for motor control and 2 for lights and other functions if fitted.

Bear in mind that hard-wiring a decoder will involve disassembly, cutting and soldering and it may be a challenge to fit it into the available space. So you should acquaint yourself with what's required before choosing a suitable decoder.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here