!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Gauge Society KSA Rover Cube & Timber Wagon Build  (Read 1190 times)

Offline cazadoom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21448
    • Awards
N Gauge Society KSA Rover Cube & Timber Wagon Build
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:40:19 pm »
Hi All

Recently I managed to get my hands on 14 KSA timber wagon kits, This might not sound like much but I Am utterly useless when it comes to building stuff! I joined my local N Gauge club last year and it has given me the kick up the :censored: I needed to give things a go myself.

When they arrived they came in 4 triple packs and 2 singles, the OCD inside me set about sorting them out to make things easier,

So to get myself going i took them to my club and sat there for the night building the bogies, After building the 28 of them i was very cross eyed! but it was worth it, That Night I also drilled out all the holes for the buffers

I decided that I was going to build an initial 5 to see how i got on, having had advice to build in batches, Having drilled 22 holes for ratchet straps on each side I pushed on and glued the main decks together, having never built kits I wasn't the best at putting them together but I took the time to prime, sand and fill all the imperfections I could,

That is as far as i got and then the Pendolinos arrived, so these went on the back burner for a while,

last week i got them back out and continued the build, I decided to prime the whole thing and paint the black on the deck first,

Happy with that and after a few bits of touching up I was happy so I moved on to the sides spraying them with Halfords Ford Radiant Red as Per suggestion in the instructions, only 2 are at this stage so far but I am rather happy with how they came out

Today saw me attach the ends to 2 of the wagons, After doing this I couldn't resist trial fitting the Stanchions and getting one of my Colas 60s out for a pose,

having got 2 this far i am going to get the next 3 up to this stage and then move on to fitting the transfers!

When this kit comes out again i would urge anyone to give it a go! If I can do it anyone can

Cheers
Callum
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:50:32 pm by cazadoom »

Offline MacRat

• Awards
Re: N Gauge Society KSA Timber Wagon Build
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:43 pm »
Looking very good.

Hope these wagons are in NGS stock soon and someone is doing the KFA-GERS timber wagon that were build from converted Cargowaggons to go with them.

Offline cazadoom

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:28:28 pm »
Hi All Again,

On my Days off now so decided to crack on a bit with the wagons,

First picture show the various stages of the builds happening, whilst one drys onto the next and so on,

After filling gaps, lots of masking and a few different coats of Black, Grey and Red I am now up to this stage,

Painted 2 bogies axle boxes and it really adds to it!

really happy with the results so far, Just 9 more to go to this stage! I am off to my club tonight so I intend on painting the 108 remaining Axle boxes and building some more ends! Really enjoying building these.

Cheers

Callum

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 07:19:26 pm »
 Hi ,
Well done and welcome to what some call the darkside- I prefer enlightened! The kits are a joy to make I have 15 of the KSA cubes and rather a lot of other Soc modern kits as well.  All modern kits are very well thought out and an easy build and with care great runners.
Batch building is the way forward and like you I prepared parts in advance.

Hope you enjoy the rest and future builds - I find if something does not go well then stop , cup of tea and review. I find that I can do good work for around 20 minutes at a time and then make a simple mistake or find I have started to rush - normally for no good reason. At this point I stop and leave for a while. 
Robert     

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:35:22 pm »
I was reminded by this to check if they were in stock, and there were 4, which I duly purchased! Just need to get another 6 next time theyíre in.

Someone on groups.io suggested that was likely to be some months.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:52:35 pm »

Hi all,

Just a quick note to Callum for starting this thread, and to others who have commented.

When you propose and then design a kit you hope it will bring pleasure so reading the above makes it all worthwhile!

And thanks too to Parkside Dundas for doing the tooling and moulding work on these.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Smiffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 18903
  • 2mm Association Number: 4323
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »
One way to solve the problem of these being light is to add a log load from birch twigs - though making them is more tedious than drilling all the holes.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:17 pm »
Hi there,

Thanks for the tip on the birch twigs, they look excellent!

Another weight option if you may wish to run the wagons empty is self adhesive lead strip meant for windows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Windows-rectangle-template-included/dp/B00IDAE7BC

I have used this on lots of lightweight wagons, and on these there is plenty of space below the floor between the bogies.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:50:36 pm by Ben A »

Offline cazadoom

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 11:17:51 pm »

Well done and welcome to what some call the darkside- I prefer enlightened! The kits are a joy to make I have 15 of the KSA cubes and rather a lot of other Soc modern kits as well.  All modern kits are very well thought out and an easy build and with care great runners.
Batch building is the way forward and like you I prepared parts in advance.

Hope you enjoy the rest and future builds - I find if something does not go well then stop , cup of tea and review. I find that I can do good work for around 20 minutes at a time and then make a simple mistake or find I have started to rush - normally for no good reason. At this point I stop and leave for a while. 

Hi Robert,  I am Glad you mentioned the Cubes as in the deepest darkest corner of my modelling cupboard i have 5 that i started and stopped, but having started this process i have gone and got them out to do at the same time! I understand what you mean i really am one for rushing but having wanted the timber wagons for a long time i have found i slowed down a hell of a lot!

One way to solve the problem of these being light is to add a log load from birch twigs - though making them is more tedious than drilling all the holes.

Smiffy I like that idea! thats the next step when they are finished! i may do half with loads and half without loads,

Another weight option if you may wish to run the wagons empty is self adhesive lead strip meant for windows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Windows-rectangle-template-included/dp/B00IDAE7BC

I have used this on lots of lightweight wagons, and on these there is plenty of space below the floor between the bogies.

Hi Ben,

I am glad you did design these kits! along with the Cubes! ... Even down to the instructions, the easiest instructions i have followed! ... i like your idea for the weights, i may have to purchase them for half my rake!

Cheers Callum

Offline cazadoom

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:55 pm »
Hi All

Having spent the night down the club painting all the axles boxes and the Hand Rails on the ends that i had finished i had to put them together when i got home to have a look,

i was also reminded about the Rover Cubes i had in my stash so i dug them out to see how far i had got and to start on them again too now i have the confidence to build them!

So heres as far as i have got!

And with the Cubes

Cheers

Callum

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 09:27:01 am »
very impressed  :thumbsup:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline PWayman

• N Gauge Society Number: 9717
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 10:14:09 am »
I have built a rake of the timber wagons and I too am really pleased with them however I did find that the rapido couplers did tend to disconnect for some reason. I replaced them with Dapol NEM knuckle couplers apart from the end of the rake which I needed to couple to the loco and solved the problem.
   I also had a rake of Dapol Cargowagons that tended to uncouple at random and gave this rake the same knuckle coupling treatment and this cured that problem also.

Bret

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 10:47:53 am »
Hi Cazadoom,

Well done with those KSA Timber Wagon kits, they look great! I'm really looking forward to the NGS getting the Trestrol back into production as I'd like at least of couple of them (although I understand the logistical issues involved at the moment and am very grateful to those who have donated/committed their time and energy into getting anything back into production! Thanks guys.).

Offline Smiffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 18903
  • 2mm Association Number: 4323
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 11:19:09 am »

for anyone interested in making log loads I found plenty of twigs under birch trees after strong winds.   Trees not surrounded by other trees tend to have longer suitable lengths, but groups of trees are still ok.

From a comment on Facebook the length of timber in loads works out as 21mm and 17mm lengths

Iíve tried to stick with pieces up to 2mm diameter which is part of the reason building the bundles has been a lengthy, repetitive and tedious process, but for those bundles that cant be seen through the ends or because they are separated slightly from other bundles then Iíve used a thicker twig to form the core of the bundle (you can see a couple of bundles with a larger twig top left of the photo).

There are a couple of ways the wagons are loaded and bundles donít always appear to be supported by the cross members so worth checking photos to add variety.

Regards

Iain

Offline cazadoom

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:12 pm »
Hi All,

Last night was far too hot for sleep so I cracked on with the Rover cubes, Got all 5 built up apart from the etches on the last 4, lots off filling on these to get them to sit right on the chassis,

Quick pop to Halfords to get some more cans of spray paint to continue! Picked up another can of Ford Radiant Red and now a can of Rover Tahiti Blue

Having found a picture of the Malcom ones (6 of them i think) running behind a DRS 66 with Megafrets behind i made the decision to go with Malcolm livery! looking forward to seeing both rakes running!

Cheers

Callum

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here