!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: RHTT 3D print kit build.  (Read 233 times)

Offline KainHarkins

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
RHTT 3D print kit build.
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:55:47 pm »
So back in February I suffered a heart attack and because Iím a lorry driver I faced a bit of time off work because of the rules I have to deal with regarding giving up my license until Iíd done the fitness test to get my hgv license back.

I needed to keep myself busy so I thought Iíd try my hand at the RHTT kit from shapeways. I ordered all the bits and a few weeks later when they turned up I set to work.

I cleaned the parts with white spirits and then cleaned them off using warm soapy water and then dried them off.

The next thing was to prime them with Halfords plastic primer and then check for any imperfections in the printing process of which I did my best with some sandpaper to smooth the sides out.

I did this a couple of times until I was happy with the finish and then set about applying the Tamiya TS-10 paint that I found was a good match after seeking some advice from a fellow modeller whoíd done their own kit a while back.

Once they had a couple of coats and dried I then glosscoated them and set about using photographs from Paul Bartlettís excellent site reference pics so I could do my best to recreate them.

First up was my first time at using the cantrail stripes and boy how fiddly they were for a first time user like me but not only that with the 3 tanks it was a bit of a challenge. I donít think I did a good job for my first go but after some weathering which I applied later on they werenít as bad as I first thought.

The easier transfers were the rest of them. I did however come across a slight issue with the fork lift transfers as they were in one piece and the way the kit was designed/printed made fitting a 1 piece transfer over two levels a bit of a nightmare so I contacted the company who did the kit the excellent Steve Bell and we had a chat to try and work out how to fix it. In the end we decided that doing the chevron markings in 3 pieces maybe the best way to go so Steve sent me out some modified bits and I fitted them to good effect.

The pictures really show how bad the cantrail stripes are but Iíll live with it.

Next up I dug out my micro drill bits to open up the areas for the etched hand rails to gobecause the paint had filled the areas they were to go.
I sprayed the handrails silver again using Tamiya silver finish spray after spraying etched primer onto the parts. The etched parts have notches in them so that bending them into shape was easy and the steps are a one piece part that sits in between spaces on the underside of the parts. So some glue was used to fit the etched steps and left to dry.

The body of the parts was then coated a few days later in satin finish coat to seal in the transfers and once dry the handrails were fitted to the pieces I also had painted the buffer parts that came with the kit and glued them to the ends of the FEA-B wagons to make them into the FEA-F versions.

I thought I wanted the wagons to be factory fresh but over time I dabbled with the idea of weathering the wagons using lifelike colour using my airbrush.
Here are the results after a few light coats

Now a few weeks have passed since I finished the kit but one thing bugged me about the kit. The Tie bar that holds the original FEA-B wagons together when fitted to the kit was a little on the short side to be able to properly run the wagons on the layout. Yes the kit came with the standard N gauge coupling but when I tried that coupling I wasnít happy with the gap that was between the wagons when connected so I thought Iíd try and design something to do the job.

I started off with the existing bar with the loops either end and cut it in half and then went down to my local model shop to purchase some tube that was big enough to fit the 2 parts of the original parts inside the tube. I couldnít really work out what measurement I needed and just went by eye.

I showed this to a friend who said he could make something 3D printed that might work. He designed basically the same as what Iíd made but in 1 piece. I tested it and it needed some more modification as it wasnít long enough (mainly down to my measuring skills and the analogue vernier I used to measure it)

We had a chat and he adjusted the length by 1.5mm and we decided that the loop system I wasnít happy with as it was too loose. How had previously talked about a claw type fitting he adjusted the thickness of the claw by 0.2mm to give a bit more rigidity to it and the modified bits arrived this morning and I tested them as soon as they arrived as well as a test to see if when connected the bar was strong enough to pull a dummy loco at one end whilst being hauled by a loco at the other end. I only have one dummy loco which is made up of an old Farish class 50 chassis that Iíve fitted a tpm class 60 body to. On the other end I connected 4 Farish Tea tanks to simulate the weight of a dummy loco.

The following video shows the results.
https://youtu.be/Xkif7xU4quI

Now since I finished the pre weathered kit Iíve has a few people asking me about me doing one for them. So Iíve sorted out some info for people. If you want to know more please donít hesitate to message me.

Thanks for looking

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: RHTT 3D print kit build.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:58:15 pm »
They look great.   :thumbsup:

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 04:04:41 pm »
Many thanks Chris.

And just to add as I forgot to add Iím now back at work and although the medication is taking itís toll Iím back to full health and back driving wagons again.

Online 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 05:05:17 pm »
Ello matey.

Great to have you on here Kain :thumbsup: and yes, the RHTT's are looking the business.

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

New project - Rugby North Yard http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41858.0

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:28:42 pm »
Thanks Anthony.

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 08:49:57 pm »
Weíve had a bit of an update on the tie bar front. Thereís been a black version made for me to test which looks a lot better than the white but it does come with a downside which is down to the different PLA used.

They are a little less sturdy than the white version and do bend but they can be bent back into shape quite easily but the gap is ok and the manoeuvrability isnít restricted.

The designed bar will be added to any kit done for anyone who sends me the kit to do. message me for details.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here