!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: BachFar 61xx gears  (Read 105 times)

Offline Sammmm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
BachFar 61xx gears
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:51:02 pm »
Hi guys,

Iíve got a later China built 61xx, it locks up and from the looks of things the gear on the centre axle has excessive wear on it.

How do I go about replacing it? Am I best of trying to find a new complete set of wheel sets or is it straight forward to get the centre set of ge coupling rods and replace the gear?

Also does anyone have said spares in their boxes that they would be happy to part with for a price?

Kind Regards

Sam

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: BachFar 61xx gears
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:02:18 pm »
Iíve got a later China built 61xx, it locks up and from the looks of things the gear on the centre axle has excessive wear on it.

How do I go about replacing it? Am I best of trying to find a new complete set of wheel sets or is it straight forward to get the centre set of ge coupling rods and replace the gear?

This isn't uncommon.

You don't need to remove the valve gear to replace the drive gear - the wheel can be removed with a worm puller to access the gear (all the wheelsets should be removed form the chassis and the central wheelset with gear and rods removed to be worked on on its own) without taking anything off those wheels. BR Lines sell suitable replacement 25 tooth Farish gears.

You do need to be careful that the wheel then goes back on properly quartered, otherwise you may run into bad running problems, or lock ups, or wearing again of that gear.

I've done plenty of these, so if you need assistance feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Sammmm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: BachFar 61xx gears
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »

This isn't uncommon.

You don't need to remove the valve gear to replace the drive gear - the wheel can be removed with a worm puller to access the gear (all the wheelsets should be removed form the chassis and the central wheelset with gear and rods removed to be worked on on its own) without taking anything off those wheels. BR Lines sell suitable replacement 25 tooth Farish gears.

You do need to be careful that the wheel then goes back on properly quartered, otherwise you may run into bad running problems, or lock ups, or wearing again of that gear.

I've done plenty of these, so if you need assistance feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the advice!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations