!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol class 86 problems.  (Read 213 times)

Offline jacowin80

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol class 86 problems.
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:32:43 pm »
I really don't seem to have much luck with dapol l locos with my 86 and voyager both currently been out of service. This evening I decided that I would have another look at the 86 so removed the body and removed the lights, one end seemed very badly melted in but I managed to remove them and tried the unit again.  It did run but very slowly and only in one direction. I then removed the blanking plate and tried one from a farish 60, it did run slightly better and now I'm both directions but the dapol blanking plate is fine in the 60. I'm not bothered by not having lights as I have a dummy to run double header with it. Anyone any ideas how I can fix this bearing in mind i have no skill when it comes to this kind of thing!  Thank you in advance.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Dapol class 86 problems.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 10:49:00 pm »
Hi
Some of the "fun" with Dapol  Jones era stock is that the PCB and electronic bits are down to a price and as such are near limits and sometimes unwanted voltage spikes kill and fry components. 

If the motor has run "slow" for any length of time it may well have overheated and beyond help - the brush mounts get hot and tips over in the nylon/plastic motor end piece and it will not run well ever again.  Check mounts for looking ok- melting is obvious.

The spike will  often fry diodes hence lack of lighting. Provided PCB can be cleaned up new diodes can be soldered in - fiddly but possible having done a few myself - even at the Dapol open day.

DCC supplies may well have replacements and do charge worth a call or email to discuss if you want an offical repair.
If happy to have a go PM me.
Robert   

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:04:42 am »
Donít forget there is supposedly new liveries coming soon, with a new run hopefully there will also ramp up spare parts too, I have a few 86s in need of help (PCBs, replacement buffers and OHLE roof equipment)
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:32 am »
There's a dual diode device fitted to the Dapol PCB (small black component with three legs) for the directional lighting. This was badly specified/chosen and is the main fault with the class 86 (together with HST & Class 26 in my experience).

Unplugging the lighting should solve the problem - my class 86 worked fine with the body removed but ran slowly when fitted.

Alternatively, remove or replace the three pin diode package or cut the lighting pins from the blanking plug.

Steven B

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:26:18 am »
It has to be said the latest PCBs are a step change. It has been suggested that PCBs could be upgraded but I guess money is at "root of all evil."

Offline jacowin80

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:32:00 pm »
Thank you for all the replys and help so far. The unit has been running slow but there doesn't seem to be any burn marks on the chassis just the light plugs and the pcb. I have considered buying a spare chassis and just swapping it over however it seems to me that the lights are the issue as things started moving slowly once they were unplugged. How do I go about disconnecting them from the pcb?  The blanking plug runs very hot when the logo is making its slow crawl around the track. Many thanks again for all the help so far. James.

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:26:35 pm »
Hi
Lights are on little plug and sockets - one on PCB and one on far end of PCB on mine - carefully hold socket - pcb end with pliers and use a small screwdriver to lever plug out - it comes out level with chassis rather than upwards.  These cables tether body to chassis. They are quite fragile and not good to pull on cables to yank plugout- all being black on some models does make re connection issue 

You should now have just the chassis to work on.  The fact that blank plug gets hot is worrying as it is carrying over current hence heat does suggest issue elsewhere.   

Robert

Offline jacowin80

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »
Hi
Lights are on little plug and sockets - one on PCB and one on far end of PCB on mine - carefully hold socket - pcb end with pliers and use a small screwdriver to lever plug out - it comes out level with chassis rather than upwards.  These cables tether body to chassis. They are quite fragile and not good to pull on cables to yank plugout- all being black on some models does make re connection issue 

You should now have just the chassis to work on.  The fact that blank plug gets hot is worrying as it is carrying over current hence heat does suggest issue elsewhere.   

Robert
It does get very hot and only runs at a slow rate. The lights seemed to be almost melted in on one end so it could have been the whole unit getting hot and not just a problem with the lights. It also seems to draw a lot of power from the track. If a place another loco on the track it hardly moves at all. For my limited skills I think a new chassis is the way to go. I shall have a look tomorrow and see if disconnecting the lights fully does the trick but I really don't fancy having to soilder the tiny diodes! 

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:51 pm »
If the unit is getting hot I wouldnít put power to it, it will end up completely burning the PCB and possibly melting the body, Iím not an expert by far but from what Iíve read it is drawing too much current, hopefully Dr Al can give some input, I believe he has seen these issues before, I know a multimeter is often recommended by people to see what is going on current wise.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything