!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #375 on: August 16, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »
Ok, as promised here are the three platforms I mentioned earlier.

Bealman, thanks so much for going to the trouble! The photos were just what I needed and I'll be re-visiting them as I build my own platforms. Right now, the plan is to use a Metcalfe for the Wiltsbury platforms and Peco for the Biss River platforms since I have the kists already. I modified my track plan to give me a little more room for the platforms, so i think I'm fine now, in that regard.

Leon

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: August 17, 2018, 06:44:06 am »
No problems, mate.  :beers:

Sp1:

Pm sent. Didn't want to hijack Leon's thread!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: August 17, 2018, 07:35:48 pm »
My Testors liquid cement arrived today, so if we have a wind-less day I may be out on the deck this weekend attempting to model my first card kit. I bought a 1/2" Spade Bit to cut the holes for my point and power feed wire drops. It works perfectly for drilling the extruded foamboard. There seems to be no compromise in the solidity of the foamboard after drilling, but I'm considering inserting a rigid clear plactic tube in each hole. It's not costly, and would not require a lot of work.

I've ordered more track to accommodate revisions to my track plan. With a little luck I may manage to begin gluing foamboard next week. It's at least two weeks since I promised it was going to happen. Since then, multiple alterations in the layout! At the moment, I've limited the use of #4 Kato turnouts on my layout to just three as a result of those alterations, so the delay will hopefully prove fruitful in the long run and save me a few dollars (or at least help pay for some of the track).

Leon
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:10:56 pm by Leon, Reason: spelling correction »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #378 on: August 18, 2018, 02:03:50 pm »
Your progress sounds great Leon. Go for it. Hope you are enjoying the journey into art, creativity and FUN!.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2018, 07:10:19 pm »
Your progress sounds great Leon. Go for it. Hope you are enjoying the journey into art, creativity and FUN!.

Chris, the art journey I've enjoyed all my life, though not as a creator. Creativity, I doubt that I have. Fun, yeah - if addressing challenges counts as fun. Satisfying it certainly is!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: August 19, 2018, 01:13:54 am »
I've been reflecting on the money I've spent for this new hobby. For me, a lot! For the first time since I started the layout, my wife has inquired about how much longer I'm going to be buying. :) Good question. My answer? Railway modelling isn't an inexpensive hobby; that's why I waited until now to do it! I'd say that I've spent most of what I budgeted for the next two years, and have most of the things I'll need for a preliminary running layout. At $5 to $15 per pop for items like trees, however, I'll need another good budget for years 3+. For those young guys (and gals) who are able to enjoy this hobby, good for you! You've selected a really great pastime. One that combines a lot of skills and interests. And, to be fair, no more expensive than many other pursuits - including regular outings to the local. :)

Leon

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: August 19, 2018, 01:35:39 am »
@Leon
One way to make this hobby of ours a bit cheaper is to make your own stuff where possible. One tip I picked up from this forum was to use grapes for trees. Well, not the actual grapes, but the stalks that are left.  It is surprising how much like trees the bits of stalk can be once they have been put aside to dry. I am forever buying grapes, my excuse being that they count as one of your 'five a day', (fruit and veg'). I have quite a few bits of stalks at home waiting to be turned into trees. All it needs is a bit of dilute PVA glue and, (another tip I picked up somewhere), dried tea leaves that have been left to steep in some food colouring. (Or I suppose you could pay for some scatter  :)). Another thing I have done for trees, (and this is all my own idea - I think!),  is to get a piece of string about 2" in length and unravel about half of it and then leave to soak in some diluted acrylic green or brown paint.  I find that sisal string is a bit better, as it does not take the paint uniformly. It is surprising what you can see just looking round the house that can be used for something on the layout!  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: August 19, 2018, 06:44:50 am »
Thanks for some really good tips, Danny (presumably not PG Tips!).
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: August 19, 2018, 06:58:20 am »
Woodland Scenics produce white metal tree armatures, but the grape stalk idea is certainly cheaper!

I'm not sure about the tea leaves... I tried it once with not much success. A bag of Woodland Scenics foliage produces many trees. It would work very well with grape stalks.

Use PVA to secure the foliage, then cheap hairspray as a fixative - the cheaper the better! It's stickier!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: August 19, 2018, 08:40:27 am »
Oh, and I forgot to mention the added bonus that your trees will smell like cheap perfume.  ;D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: August 19, 2018, 10:06:57 am »
Here's an excellent, effective and cheap way to make a lot of trees, Leon............

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=15475.msg153508#msg153508

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #386 on: August 19, 2018, 05:14:42 pm »
Here's an excellent, effective and cheap way to make a lot of trees, Leon............

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=15475.msg153508#msg153508

Thanks for a great tip, nicely documented with photos!

Leon

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #387 on: August 19, 2018, 06:22:26 pm »
Hi Leon, if you use the search function or look through the "Tutorials" section there are loads of helpful articles in there, here's one I did a few years ago on making cheap hedges using green scouring pads.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=8837.msg94270#msg94270

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: August 19, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
When can we see some pics of your progress Leon?

:photospleasesign:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: August 19, 2018, 07:18:46 pm »
Hi Leon, if you use the search function or look through the "Tutorials" section there are loads of helpful articles in there, here's one I did a few years ago on making cheap hedges using green scouring pads.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=8837.msg94270#msg94270

Caz, excellent tutorial! I've been wondering about how I'll model hedgerows. I'd not seen that subject treated - and you did it very well! One of the most striking things about Somerset (where my son lives) is the hedge rows. I hate driving the lanes bounded by them, but they are a significant element in the countryside, defining the fields, and adding much scenic interest.

I'm assuming that the countryside around Wiltsbury should have hedge rows. Honestly, when I drove down to Westbury I avoided all the roads that might have had hedge rows - or failed to notice them while concentrating on my driving. I've driven from one end of the U. K. to the other - North to South and East to West, and the transition from left hand drive to right hand drive is no problem. Age is, however, so I don't enjoy views the way I once did.

Leon
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:46:52 pm by Leon, Reason: grammatical correction »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here