!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:40 am »
Here's a map from 1941 showing the station, shed and turntable.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101463356

Norman, this 1941 map revision is the proof I've been looking for!  Also, I have great respect for Martin's fund of knowledge about Westbury. My layout WILL include a turntable!

After 1941, the East Loop Junction was built, the Westbury Iron Works removed, and an Army Supply Depot was built in the vicinity of the Westbury Station. Lots of changes! My map has a lot of detail, so I hope you can understand why I'm a little incredulous that a cartographer would not have shown the turntable.

Thanks, once more, for devoting so much time to confirm the presence of the turntable within my modeling period. I can't be completely prototypical, but I can be historically correct. So, the alternate layout plan (which I've already done) will be the basis of further revision. I may need to eliminate Marsh View and have the rail line depart the board on the lower left side rather than the lower left bottom of the layout. It's much easier for me and the addition of a turntable will allow me to park my Southern locomotive. As of now, my plan will be modelled on the 1941 revised OS map. All's well that end's well! :) End of story - I hope.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:19 am »
Good news about the turntable Leon. Just makes me wonder how much easier it is to belong to a forum like this when planning a project. There are so many people who seem willing to dig around and help with research etc.

Out of interest, anyone, when did the chord to the north of Westbury which made a triangle (from the northward line to the westward line) get installed?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2018, 03:56:47 pm »
Good news about the turntable Leon. Just makes me wonder how much easier it is to belong to a forum like this when planning a project. There are so many people who seem willing to dig around and help with research etc.

Out of interest, anyone, when did the chord to the north of Westbury which made a triangle (from the northward line to the westward line) get installed?

Chris,

The "chord" was constructed in 1942. Documented in numerous places including - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_railway_station#/media/File:Westbury_routes.png

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2018, 04:44:36 pm »
Thanks Leon. I looked on Wikipedia and there is a small schematic map of the area. I have to say you have turned it into a continuous-run layout very ingeniously!  :claphappy:

I, like others, look forward to seeing this appear in 3D!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2018, 06:53:05 pm »
I've just completed the umpteenth iteration of my layout, but I dare not show it! I've incorporated every suggestion that's been made, I think. Wiser minds must be heeded! I hesitate, but I think I've done the best that I can do. I know, I've said that before and encouragement and further contributions take me back to the drawing board (AnyRail). I'm not confident there won't be more changes, thus my reticence to reveal where I am on the eve of laying track. I'll have to get it right at that point! I'm not happy with the space I have for the engine shed. I've discovered from photographs and historical sources that the Westbury shed was huge. Indeed, British History Online state that "In 1915 the G.W.R. opened their locomotive workshops there." So, the engine shed I will eventially add to the layout will be a sad representation of the actual shed. The entire left quandrant of the layout is too densely built up, but all the functions of the station are represented, I hope - though very much condensed and compact. My coal merchant is almost sitting on the makin avoiding line and there may be cows outside the passenger station! :) Oh, I almost forget. I was able to lengthen the platforms - a bit.

Leon
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:55:57 pm by Leon »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2018, 08:11:04 pm »
GO ON, GO ON, GO ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Show us your new plan!!!!!!!!!!!! I DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, I insist, and, as an Englishman, I expect to be obeyed!!!!!!!!!!!!  :veryangry:

No, seriously, I would love to see how you've adjusted things. Good news if you've managed to get some extra platform length in.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:49 pm »
Seconded......go on Leon.
Let’s see your latest plan. Please!!!!!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2018, 09:56:44 pm »
It didn't take much for me to relent! :)  Please note the colors - blue is the first section of track I'll be laying; light green is the second stage; and, the wine color will be the final phase of track. If AnyRail is anywhere near accurate, the first two phases should go smoothly. Note, also, that the ovals don't connect on the right side. I'll be using extendable track to close the gaps.

Please ask questions, state obvious faults, but PLEASE don't suggest any changes that isn't absolutely necessary. I'm expecting the baseboard foundation on the weekend and would like to start laying track next week.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2018, 12:20:15 am »
Dare I say it? I've made another adjustment! How many of you saw in the 1941 OS map that only one line ran between the Westbury platforms? Be honest! I've made an alteration that satisfies me, if it works when I run trains on the track. I'll share it when I know it works! Another thing I should have pointed out with the plan - beginning with the last foot and a half on either side of the layout, the track will be underground. The contour varies, though, so that only about six inches of the layout is elevated at the rear of the board. The height will be just enough for the trains to clear. I colored in one of my earlier printouts to show the contours, so I'll probably do this again. It helps me to invisage the rail inclines I'll have to build.

Leon
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:29:32 am by Leon »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2018, 07:53:41 am »
Thank you Leon for the updated plan. Looking good. You really are researching this.

Just a few thoughts, mostly about the new layout of the loco shed.

1) Where you have the entry point into the depot is awfully close to the left hand edge of the baseboard. I fear you may end up with no useful length of headshunt. You have included a short length of straight track between the loco depot access point and the goods depot entry point. If you remove this the points will be closer and you MAY manage to accommodate a tender loco in the extended headshunt. I appreciate that the western-most scissors crossover is the governing factor but perhaps if you revert to your original platform lengths and move that scissors a bit further east you can have a practical lead for the loco depot.

2) The loco shed tracks use a right hand point. As this point is preceded by a left hand curve this will be better if you use a left hand point instead of the curve which will look better and make your shed sidings a bit longer.

3) If you move the turntable a bit south so that the line feeding the turntable is closer to the loco coaling line, or even make the coaling line the turntable feed, you could add a further 1 or 2 sidings in the loco shed area which will make the depot look more like the prototype. You say in an earlier thread that you felt it would be a poor representation of the depot and this idea could rectify this for you.

4) With the shortness of the loco depot headshunt I think you'll have to accept that the coaling stage and coal merchant will be more scenic adjuncts rather than functional as you won't have the room in the headshunt to bring a tank loco and wagons in and out. A more daring but perfectly practical solution would be to swap the right hand point accessing the goods depot with a left hand point which would then cause the access point for the loco depot and the headshunt to angle up and left towards the baseboard edge. This will enable a longer headshunt and as you suggest the mainline will be underground won't interfere with the rest of your plan. Also you could then leave the western scissors where it is and keep your new longer platforms. You could even lead the headshunt right into he top left-hand corner if you wanted a longer headshunt and you could take coal wagons in and out of the yard.
I hope I have expressed those thoughts clearly. It is early!

A great plan! Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:56:35 am by chrispearce »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2018, 08:01:17 am »
Hi Leon
I concur with Chris’ points.
Also.....and this is just my thoughts and might prove impractical or not of i terest. If you shortened the siding above the pond just a bit, you could add a spur off the inner blue line and effectively re-create the East Chord triangle. However as that wasn’t added till 1942 is that out of your tome frame?
Other than that, it’s a cracking representation of the area in the space you have at your disposal.
Looking forward to track being laid.
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:52 am »
If you shortened the siding above the pond just a bit, you could add a spur off the inner blue line and effectively re-create the East Chord triangle.

An interesting idea Martin and one I looked at before but I couldn't see how Leon could incorporate the 180 degree curve. Do you think it could fit?

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:03 am »
If you shortened the siding above the pond just a bit, you could add a spur off the inner blue line and effectively re-create the East Chord triangle.

An interesting idea Martin and one I looked at before but I couldn't see how Leon could incorporate the 180 degree curve. Do you think it could fit?
Yes Chris, when I looked it seemed tight. Possibly with a curved point?
Interestingly Leon, as you know I used to fish the right hand pond a lot. One of my favourite locations (known as “the muddy corner”) was just where your 5th tree from the left is.
Martin
My Layouts -

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:24 am »

Yes Chris, when I looked it seemed tight. Possibly with a curved point?
Interestingly Leon, as you know I used to fish the right hand pond a lot. One of my favourite locations (known as “the muddy corner”) was just where your 5th tree from the left is.
Martin

Well it would be an interesting addition if the curvature will fit. All he would need is a couple of well placed signals and a DPDT. The new plan would allow Leon to run SR stock in headed by an SR loco then swap for a WR loco while the SR loco is turned ready for the return journey or vice versa. I believe that this kind of operation happened at Salisbury but a little modellers' licence is all that would be needed. Should make for an interesting layout with enjoyable operations.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2018, 11:47:25 am »
Sorry, Leon, but I agree with Chris in that, if the headshunt to loco and goods yards can't be extended, then everything in those yards is virtually relegated to being static exhibits. As it stands there's not room for a tender loco to exit the shed, let alone any trucks from the goods yard/coaling area :hmmm:
I have previously mentioned the use of a point instead of a curve to lengthen sidings and remove an unneeded 'S' from the track plan but in the case Chris mentions I would put a LH point in place of the LH curve to the loco shed and let that line join the turntable line. I like the idea of a piece of track where another loco can wait patiently to be turned without totally blocking access to the turntable. Just a thought, though.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything