!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 2803 times)

Online Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2018, 04:04:04 pm »
Union Mills are a one man band manufacturer on the Isle of Man. Locos are made in small batches and not everything is available all the time. The only place to get a new Union Mills loco is direct from the manufacturer. Hattons, ebay etc will only be selling second hand models. I have noticed that sometimes second hand prices are more than buying a new model direct so be careful.

GWR locos available are (were) Dean Goods, Dukedog and Collet 2251.

Contact details:

Union Mills Models Ltd
Unit 5
Union Mills Trading
Isle of Man
IM4 4AB
Tel: 01624 852896
There isn't a website

The proprietor Colin Heard is a true gentleman - give him a ring to order a loco

Thanks for this good information. Colin Heard has been mentioned before, but I'm suffering from information overload, having just re-ignited my interest in railroading three months ago. Much to learn, and not much time to do it.  :) I'll give Colin a ring one day soon, but please answer one question. Are the Union Mills products equal to Dapol and Graham Farish in quality of design and production?

Leon

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
GWR locos available are (were) Dean Goods, Dukedog and Collet 2251.

Leon,

I have no experience of them, but will be hoping to order a Dukedog and pair of Colletts once I have started a layout. 

These are all tender-driven models but unlike Dapol locos, there is no drive-shaft between the tender and loco (through the firebox).  Quite apart from the safety hazards this must present to the footplate crew(!), I understand it can be quite hard to re-engage the drive-shaft with the loco if it becomes detached.   

If you ever get bitten by the desire to embellish them they are a perfect starting point.

Alternatively, I believe there is at least one Forum member who will super-detail them for you.  I haven't had time to investigate yet, but I may wish to have mine brought up to the current BachFar/Dapol standards we are now seeing. 

I don't have a need for super detail, just quality general design and production. The model in the image you provided looks great to me.

Leon

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
I have 6 Union Mills locos all great runners, the only detailing on most of them is to fit vacuum brake pipes front and rear they are fairly obvious visible items, readily available from some of the small dealers and kit makers. Things like brake rods and similar fine detail - read fragile- I can do without.

The only one I've done anything "drastic" with is the SR T9 clas 4-4-0 in my sig below, the UM T9 is one of the later wide cab versions with 6 wheel tender which rarely ran in my area, so I milled a few thou off the cab and splashers, and replaced the tender with an 8 wheel "watercart" from a Langley S15 kit with a Fleischmann tender drive.

I've also used UM tender drives for a couple of scratch built locos and some kits.

Scatch built Adams A12 class 0-4-2

Scratch built Drummond K10 4-4-0

UM drive fitted in a BHE N15 kit tender with an extra pair of wheels
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:50:07 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2018, 05:09:20 pm »
Union Mills locos are simply engineered compared to Dapol & Farish. They are very reliable, good strong pullers and nearly indestructible. You don't get the detail on them that you now expect from Dapol & Farish. They are also much more reasonably priced - 75ish. Union Mills after sales service is top class. As in everything it's a matter of choice and what your priorities are.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2018, 03:37:10 pm »
Alternatively, I believe there is at least one Forum member who will super-detail them for you.  I haven't had time to investigate yet, but I may wish to have mine brought up to the current BachFar/Dapol standards we are now seeing.

Sorry Leon,

I didn't do the edit correctly, those were shots of a Dukedog that has been detailed by a Forum member. 

In her original condition she looks like this:

http://www.herbavache.free.fr/current/DSC_0277.JPG

http://www.herbavache.free.fr/latest/IMG_6054.JPG

Apologies for the confusion. 

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2018, 11:18:25 pm »

Welcome to Wiltsbury Junction! No, this won't be the final layout, but it DOES incorporate a good few changes/improvements resulting for the good input I've had on this Forum. I'm as close to historical accuracy as I can get, however. The station names have been changed to protect the innocent (me!). They are not depicted as accurate reditions of the original, but for what I believe is a reasonable representation within the space limitations. Thirty-two sq ft is a lot to cover, however, and even if I was inclined to extend the board the extra cost and time for construction would exceed my budget. I've rearranged my office/library to accommodate the layout (waiting for my carpenter to build the baseboard), and I'll post a photograph of the space later in the week - with the two knee-hole desks that will support the layout. I'm just marking time, now. Can't start building models for I've no place to put them!

I almost forgot! The 1 mm lines in the layout are approximate elevation contours. AnyRail doesn't provide for drawing free lines (so far as I know), but the contours will be rounded when I start the modeling.

Leon
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:20:57 pm by Leon, Reason: Addition of a comment. »

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2018, 12:27:47 am »
I bought the MAINLINE 37-058 OO GAUGE GWR 2251 CLASS COLLETT 0-6-0 before I decided to model N Gauge. Does anyone know if it's been done in N?

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2018, 12:48:47 am »
It looks now that I will need to settle for Dapol 2S-019-001 Class 68xx 4-6-0 6820 "Kingstone Grange" in GWR green with shirtbutton emblem for my mainline goods service. I'm not the most patient guy in the world, and this is the only thing I can see for sale at the moment in GWR livery for the grouping period.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2018, 01:03:49 am »
I just read about a 'fitted head'. Will someone please explain?

Leon

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2018, 09:19:34 am »
I just read about a 'fitted head'. Will someone please explain?

Leon

Hi Leon,

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115719-gwr-fitted-head-what-is-it/

Fitted wagons had screw-link couplings to keep the buffers together. 

Unfitted wagons had loose three-link couplings so care had to be taken when the train slowed down and stopped, the brake van would be deployed as the guard applied his brakes. 

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2018, 09:24:26 am »
I bought the MAINLINE 37-058 OO GAUGE GWR 2251 CLASS COLLETT 0-6-0 before I decided to model N Gauge. Does anyone know if it's been done in N?

Leon

Apart from the Union Mills model, there was one by Peco which occasionally appears on eBay. 

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2018, 11:49:55 pm »
There's not likely to be much interest until I start laying track, but I did promise an image of the layout site. The image below shows the two desks that will provide a base for the layout frame (my carpenter has agreed to complete it "sooner than later"). I've decided to top the frame with a 2" x 4' x 8' sheet of Dow Corning Extruded Foam. After a lot of research, I decided that a sheet of plywood would not be necessary, as others have reported the successful use of this board for layouts. I hope to have the first phase of track laying completed by the end of the summer and the topography finished over the winter. Hopefully, some of the buildings will be completed, also. The second stage of track laying (the north/south line from Biss River Station to Marsh View Halt) will probably be delayed until Spring. Finally, the sidings, associated buildings, and scenic landscaping will be undertaken during the second year of the project. My wiring will be left to the end, but should be relatively simple - just a tad expensive (all Kato except for one controller).

Leon

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:51:56 pm by Leon »

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:18 pm »
If that is to be your "Railway room" you need a Terence Cuneo print in that big frame! :whistle:    :-[

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=terence+cuneo+railway+prints&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwik14L6s5LcAhXOa8AKHea5CmsQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1401&bih=613#imgrc=dDmhqv3HTX1kKM:

You're right, Mike, but I don't buy prints and can't afford an original Cuneo! *sigh* There's nothing wrong with a quality print, btw. I have bought them in the past, but  it's hard enough to get some of the investment back from the originals. Mind you, I'm out of touch. Cuneo may command the kinds of prices as a Russell Flint. I sold one of Flint's  signed prints for enough to cover the cost of delivering it to the buyer in Toronto, plus dinner and a night in a nice hotel.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:03 pm »
Some people may be interested in the extruded polystyrene. I'm adding an image below and will be happy to provide others upon request. They don't show a lot, but I had little idea what to expect before I picked up the board this afternoon. I was able to carry it with one hand! And, it's 8' x 4' x 2". Much lighter than I expected, but it seems very solid and strong. I'll give the top a couple coats of brown latex paint (emulsion) and the 2" thick perimeter a couple coats of green.

The wood shop sent me an estimate, today, for the frame - $450.  That's a bit more than I anticipated, but I'll probably accept the price if it's firm and will be completed promptly. The quote is for a poplar frame 1" x 4" with good vertical and horizontal bracing. I had asked for 1" x 3", but I guess the carpenter thinks the extra inch is justified, and I can't question his judgement.

Leon

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything