!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 11262 times)

Offline ten0G

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2018, 06:37:35 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Union Mills Collett for goods

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38775.0

I think UM also do a Dean 0-6-0 as well. 

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2018, 06:54:14 pm »

It was on their list last September, List No.103, "Dean Goods various liveries."

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:49 pm »
One question Leon. Your plan shows a blue branch ending in the bottom left corner. I am a bit baffled as to how this crosses the main line. Is it on a bridge? If so it seems a very short distance from the point which gives access to the loco yard. Is there enough room for an incline?  :hmmm:

Also I wonder if you see any merit in reducing the angle between the loco shed sidings and the adjacent sidings. This will enable you to make the loco sidings longer and give more storage room.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2018, 09:12:07 pm »
Here's a list of locos allocated to 82D Westbury shed...........

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=593

You can see panniers and all sorts. Halls and Granges were typical mixed traffic locos for the GWR and the 28xx was used mainly on heavy freight. Shame no one makes the 43xx Mogul. There was talk of DJ Models doing one but I think that could be light years away.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »
PD Marsh do a 43xx kit to fit Farish praire chassis

http://www.pdmarshmodels.com/show_product.php?pid=2

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2018, 01:00:32 am »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Union Mills Collett for goods

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38775.0

Mike, I like it, but can't find one for sale. Maybe I'm just too tired, but I'm really frustrated with the dealers' search engines. *sigh*

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2018, 01:20:48 am »
One question Leon. Your plan shows a blue branch ending in the bottom left corner. I am a bit baffled as to how this crosses the main line. Is it on a bridge? If so it seems a very short distance from the point which gives access to the loco yard. Is there enough room for an incline?  :hmmm:

Also I wonder if you see any merit in reducing the angle between the loco shed sidings and the adjacent sidings. This will enable you to make the loco sidings longer and give more storage room.

Chris, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look (but have spent the last two hours re-working the shed and goods sidings). As a result of research and the help of people like you, I've rearranged a few things. I don't think the Salisbury line can be altered significantly, however. I've had lots of comments about it, but I don't see a problem. Westbury Station tracks are eight or ten feet above the station (and the main, "avoiding line", and I'll be modeling it that way. The Salisbury line will cross above the "avoiding line" which will have dropped slightly after the rail bridge crossing the main road on the lower right side. The elevation there isn't what it seems, as the road dips under the bridge. It's all about getting the elevation contours right. With the best part of 24 linear feet main line running, there's loads of space to adjust the elevations.

For you, and to remind others, my idea from the outset was to run an autocoach on the Salisbury up line through Westbury to Trowbridge. I've no idea if that service ever operated through Westbury, but I've bought the locomotive and autocoach (appropriate for the period I'm modeling), so I guess if it didn't run I'll inaugurate a new service!   :D

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2018, 01:43:01 am »
Here's a list of locos allocated to 82D Westbury shed...........

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=593

You can see panniers and all sorts. Halls and Granges were typical mixed traffic locos for the GWR and the 28xx was used mainly on heavy freight. Shame no one makes the 43xx Mogul. There was talk of DJ Models doing one but I think that could be light years away.

Thanks Mick! If I'm reading the table correctly, prior to 1946 there were few locos allocated to Westbury, which isn't surprising to me. The Ordnance Survey map I've been studying, and referrring to here (drawn after 1942) shows relatively small sidings compared to the late 50s and 60s. There were ten 43xx Mogul 2-6-0 locomotives allocated on 1-1-1934, four of which had been sent to another shed by 1940. Presumably, there were locos allocated to Westbury before 1930. There must have been some shunting engines. If not, mine are going to look a bit goofy on the layout. :)

Thanks for remembering me!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2018, 01:47:31 am »

It was on their list last September, List No.103, "Dean Goods various liveries."

Where do I find Union Mills?

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2018, 01:49:05 am »
PD Marsh do a 43xx kit to fit Farish praire chassis

http://www.pdmarshmodels.com/show_product.php?pid=2

Thanks, Mike, but I'm not up to building a loco from a kit. I'm trying to keep things simple!   :D

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2018, 07:24:10 am »

Where do I find Union Mills?

Leon

Union Mills locos can be found at shops like Hattons.

www.hattons.co.uk
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2018, 07:44:43 am »
Hi Leon, you have previously mentioned that you do not feel comfortable building complex kits. Consider using kits from Tomytec or Kato, they are well made and donít require much assembly. Iíve just bought a couple of boats from Tomytec which were good quality and had only a few parts.
Whatever you choose to do, enjoy!

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2018, 07:47:02 am »
Union Mills are a one man band manufacturer on the Isle of Man. Locos are made in small batches and not everything is available all the time. The only place to get a new Union Mills loco is direct from the manufacturer. Hattons, ebay etc will only be selling second hand models. I have noticed that sometimes second hand prices are more than buying a new model direct so be careful.

GWR locos available are (were) Dean Goods, Dukedog and Collet 2251.

Contact details:

Union Mills Models Ltd
Unit 5
Union Mills Trading
Isle of Man
IM4 4AB
Tel: 01624 852896
There isn't a website

The proprietor Colin Heard is a true gentleman - give him a ring to order a loco

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2018, 10:37:24 am »
Aha! tunneroner61 is right. Sorry I didn't know Hattons sold 2nd hand UM. I thought they acted as a distributor. Take the man's sage advice Leon and go direct to UM. UM's locos are robust albeit not superdetailed. However, I have a couple of examples and they were grand. If you ever get bitten by the desire to embellish them they are a perfect starting point.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2018, 03:48:30 pm »
GWR locos available are (were) Dean Goods, Dukedog and Collet 2251.

Leon,

I have no experience of them, but will be hoping to order a Dukedog and pair of Colletts once I have started a layout. 

These are all tender-driven models but unlike Dapol locos, there is no drive-shaft between the tender and loco (through the firebox).  Quite apart from the safety hazards this must present to the footplate crew(!), I understand it can be quite hard to re-engage the drive-shaft with the loco if it becomes detached.   

If you ever get bitten by the desire to embellish them they are a perfect starting point.

Alternatively, I believe there is at least one Forum member who will super-detail them for you.  I haven't had time to investigate yet, but I may wish to have mine brought up to the current BachFar/Dapol standards we are now seeing. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:58:25 pm by ten0G, Reason: Photos added »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything