!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 11250 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #615 on: November 03, 2018, 06:49:28 pm »
I guess I'm missing something! Why would people pay as much, and often more, for a GRAHAM FARISH KIT BUILT LANGLEY locomotive? The answer may be simple, but I've waited to ask it hoping to figure it out myself. I just don't get it! :)

Leon

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #616 on: November 03, 2018, 08:56:42 pm »
Sounds like Antique toys is at it again, avoid like the plague, he's reknowned for exorbitant prices for badly described rubbish.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #617 on: November 04, 2018, 02:58:55 pm »
Maybe the philosophy is that someone bought a kit then built and painted it by hand rather than the model coming out of a mould and factory painted. The view is the higher degree of hand-crafting and time is used to justify a higher price?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #618 on: November 06, 2018, 02:32:58 am »
Maybe the philosophy is that someone bought a kit then built and painted it by hand rather than the model coming out of a mould and factory painted. The view is the higher degree of hand-crafting and time is used to justify a higher price?

Chris, I've no doubt that's the view of the seller. What buyer would be willing to pay exorbitant prices for a kit built locomotive? I've looked at a lot of them and see nothing special. I can't judge the build of the chassis and motor, however. But, maybe there is more that I just don't understand. That's why I ask.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #619 on: November 06, 2018, 03:00:22 am »

With some reluctance, I've posted a revision of my track plan! While gluing and testing track, I realized the full implication of some tight curves. I re-visited AnyRail once again and spent a few more hours working out a way to eliminate some 45 degree compact track and tight points. Only the curve in the bottom left corner of the layout remains, and I'm confident there is no fix for that one. I also decided to change the main station platforms, again. Doing so will result in a less prototypical station but a more functional one (I hope). It IS Wiltsbury and Biss River (look for those on your map!), so I can do as I like. :) I'm making deliberate progress with the landscape and one of these days the grass will start growing!

Some have suggested, politely, that I might consider a simpler plan with less track. I've decided that would be too simple and practical, so I proceed with the original inspiration. I've no doubt there will still be changes since with every iteration I think there has been an improvement. This time around I was able to reduce the number of points from 21 to 18! I'll have a lot of switches, however, for isolating track and changing polarity. But, I'm still confident I can make it work!

Leon
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:56:29 pm by Leon »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #620 on: November 06, 2018, 04:42:15 am »

Chris, I've no doubt that's the view of the seller. What buyer would be willing to pay exorbitant prices for a kit built locomotive? I've looked at a lot of them and see nothing special. I can't judge the build of the chassis and motor, however. But, maybe there is more that I just don't understand. That's why I ask.

Leon, I agree completely. The philosophy I stated is, I feel, the philosophy used by the seller. However, we are rarely looking at a superbly crafted 2mm scale rendering of the prototype. Really these models are just whitemetal bodies stuck on the closest match chassis and, while good for expanding the range of possible locos, just don't equal the output of today's RTR manufacturers. However, that said, an opportunity to try to flog something at a higher price is, well, business. Maybe, we will see the seller face reality and see him selling it for 50p in time!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:44:01 am by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #621 on: November 06, 2018, 04:58:56 pm »
Maybe, we will see the seller face reality and see him selling it for 50p in time!

Chris, I doubt I'll live to see the day when kit built locomotives sell for 50 pounds and if I do, I'll not be buying, even at that price. It seems to me that sellers are asking us to pay for the pleasure they derived from the building of the model!

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #622 on: November 06, 2018, 08:19:00 pm »
Maybe, we will see the seller face reality and see him selling it for 50p in time!

Chris, I doubt I'll live to see the day when kit built locomotives sell for 50 pounds and if I do, I'll not be buying, even at that price. It seems to me that sellers are asking us to pay for the pleasure they derived from the building of the model!

Leon

LOL!! Sorry, Leon, 50p in blighty money is 50 pence. I certainly did not mean £50.00!  :D

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #623 on: November 07, 2018, 12:28:53 am »
Leon
LOL!! Sorry, Leon, 50p in blighty money is 50 pence. I certainly did not mean £50.00!  :D

Chris, I knew what you meant, but wanted to make it clear that even if the price is dropped to just 50 pounds in my lifetime, I'll not be buying one. I guess I should have said I'd not pay 50 pence, but I might want to give that kind of offer some consideration. :) I might even consider bidding up to 5 pounds!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #624 on: November 07, 2018, 07:59:39 pm »
I would be grateful for comments about the static grass applicator at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GJ05-Mini-Flocking-Static-Grass-Applicator-SCENIC-MODELLING-NEW-/352444365169?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I'm most impressed with the landscaping I've seen using this device, and comments I've read on the Forum from those who are using the process.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #625 on: November 07, 2018, 08:10:06 pm »
Iís not the same model as mine Leon but looks very similar so Iím sure itís ok.
Mine is the  WWS model Which comes with a complete kit of the stuff youíll need.
https://www.war-world.co.uk/product.php/the_new_pro_grass_micro_static_grass_applicator_with_embankment_kit/?k=:::6702447:0
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: November 07, 2018, 08:21:52 pm »
Mine is the  WWS model Which comes with a complete kit of the stuff youíll need.
https://www.war-world.co.uk/product.php/the_new_pro_grass_micro_static_grass_applicator_with_embankment_kit/?k=:::6702447:0

Martin, thanks for the link I didn't know about that site, so I've added it to my bookmarks. Other than the duplication of time and effort, is there a downside to using the "old-fashioned" grass and resowing with static grass later?

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #627 on: November 07, 2018, 08:28:17 pm »

Martin, thanks for the link I didn't know about that site, so I've added it to my bookmarks. Other than the duplication of time and effort, is there a downside to using the "old-fashioned" grass and resowing with static grass later?

Leon
Not really.
Depending on how I want it to look I either simply paint the surface green then apply static grass direct or I put down a layer of green scatter (I think thatís the old fashioned stuff you mention) then apply static grass.
So....yes you can apply static grass retrospectively to the old fashioned stuff.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything