!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 9666 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2018, 07:46:38 pm »
Nice set of photos showing good progress, Leon.

When you do get around to producing a backscene - sky and clouds can look great - see if you can make the rear section curve around the sides rather than a 90 degree join. That can make a big difference as you may have seen here. To my chagrin, I failed to do that and it still nags at me!

Dave G

Thanks, Dave. You and others have made the same suggestion. I've looked at some beautiful back scene work and will do my best to emulate  it - when the time comes.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: October 07, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »
Oops, Bletchford.  :D

Bealman, Bletchford is an excellent example, though perhaps more than I'm capable of achieving. I WILL try!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: October 07, 2018, 07:51:39 pm »
@Leon
I have curved corners on my backscene - here is one picture to, hopefully, show the effect. (Ignore the factory and fallen chimney, they are there as an experiment). The actual length of the curve visible in the picture is about 30 inches.

Danny, now tell me how you did it? Looks great!

Leon

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #543 on: October 07, 2018, 08:47:55 pm »
tell me how you did it? Looks great!

Thank you for that.  :)

The backboard is ¼ inch plywood, 9 inch high. As the total length is in the region of 19 feet, I made it from 4 pieces, butt jointed with a small strip glued behind the joints as ‘braces’. The bends were formed before joining the four pieces together. To make the ply bend, I wet it and held it, using my workbench and other implements, into the rough shape. The outer veneer of the ply did splinter in a couple of places on the bends, but as it was behind, that did not matter. The ‘scenic’ bit was shop bought and I just had to, carefully, butt join it all together and I stuck it down with ordinary wallpaper paste. If I remember correctly, the back scene came in two pieces to make a length of 10 feet, so I bought two of them and trimmed to fit. As I started sticking the scenic paper from the middle, both corners are near enough identical, but because of the length, it is not so obvious!  :hmmm:. I thought I had glued the back board to the wall, but having just checked, it appears to be free standing, just held in place by the embankment and long tunnel.  Thinking about it, I think I made the back scene just the right length to start at the left hand end, go round the corner, along the back, then round the right hand corner and the end of the back scene was forced into the corner of the wall opposite the back wall, (the 'train room' is just 4 feet deep), so it was, in effect, wedged in place. Because of its length, I am glad I made the back scene from the plywood, although, on a smaller layout, I think it would be much easier to use stiff card!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:59:45 pm by dannyboy, Reason: removed superfluous word »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: October 10, 2018, 09:33:39 pm »
My Dapol 2S-019-001 N gauge Kinsgstone Grange was returned to Hatton's yesterday. It is a really good looking model, but noisy and a very sluggish runner. Mechanically, there was little to like about this product. Perhaps that's why it's on sale by Dapol (and some suppliers) for 50% off. I think I'll use my credit to buy some coaches for my Southern "MALVERN" 4-4-0 schools class loco (another noisy Dapol, but it runs) and use my Graham Farish 371-981 61XX Prairie Tank Engine 6110 GWR Green until I can find something with the Shirtbutton crest.

Leon

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #545 on: October 11, 2018, 07:25:31 am »
Sorry to learn you had a bad Grange. An extra nuisance you being the other side of the pond, too.

I rejected a Grange last year (I think) as it ran so badly. Taking it back to the local to me UK nominated repairers who also stock Dapol, tested another from their stock and it was just as bad.

I'm sure there must be some good ones out there but I decided not to get a replacement.

Dave G

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: October 12, 2018, 07:26:55 pm »
I need a little help, again, from my "friends"! I have the Peco NB-34 double Track Bridge side and Retaining Walls. There are no instructions or suggestions for building the road bed. This model will span the two tracks leading to my goods station in the lower right corner of the layout and the road over the bridge will extend across to a girder bridge spanning the three mainline rails. I'll be able to overlap the two bridges enough to fit my space, but short of cutting a block of foam for the base of the Peco bridge and notching one end to support the girder bridge, I have no inspiration! I'm modeling this to match the basic rail configuration at the NE end of Westbury Station. The photo I'm using doesn't show the connection between the two bridges and I suspect there was more room than I have to work with. In case you're wondering, the stone bridge and the siding were removed at some point (60s probably) and today there is just a long road incline to the girder bridge. Thanks in advance for any hints, suggestions, or photos that might bridge (no pun intended) my imagination.

Leon

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #547 on: October 12, 2018, 08:47:01 pm »
For the road bed use styrene sheet or cardboard. To join the two bridges convincingly is a little more difficult. :hmmm: A block of foam is a good idea with brick or stone paper or styrene stuck to it. Are you going to use the bridge abutments? I would imaging that the two bridges didn't touch but if you've no room then you have no option but to join them together. Possibly you could use both pairs of abutments back to back between the bridges and the other side of the stone bridge make your own abutments or make all the abutments to match!
I hope you can understand all this waffle. ???
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: October 13, 2018, 03:57:20 am »
For the road bed use styrene sheet or cardboard. To join the two bridges convincingly is a little more difficult. :hmmm: A block of foam is a good idea with brick or stone paper or styrene stuck to it. Are you going to use the bridge abutments? I would imaging that the two bridges didn't touch but if you've no room then you have no option but to join them together. Possibly you could use both pairs of abutments back to back between the bridges and the other side of the stone bridge make your own abutments or make all the abutments to match!
I hope you can understand all this waffle. ???

Mito, the model bridge-ends incorporate abutments. The idea I communicated before was to rest the girder bridge on the adjoining abutment. There must have been 100 feet between the two bridges and separate abutments, of course. I just don't have room for that between my rails. After further study, the model I have seems to be a rail bridge and not a road bridge! Looks like I'll need to buy a new kit. I think I can use tunnel portals and model the road between the portals with foam. The portals I have don't include abutments, but I think I can find a pair on eBay. I was hoping someone would point me to a ready-made stone bridge over double rails!  :D

Leon

Leon

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: October 13, 2018, 07:36:46 am »
Not sure I follow exactly what you want but does this give you an idea for the portals?

https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Peco-Lineside-NB-34-N-Scale-Road-Bridge-Sides-and-Retaining-Walls-Kit-Stone-type-Double-track-Peco-Lineside-NB-34.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h9C7LTHIJzzY2AGZDpEk68DDlGk8m8hSxxKPzWtEvaBKJAlS4CM06xoCCS0QAvD_BwE

Foam or suitable card for the road bed would be my suggestions.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:51 am »
Just as an aside to this I generally find the Peco tunnel mouths/bridges provide a larger bore than usually found so I lop up to 5mm off the base of them. Measure up first, though!

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: October 13, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
Just as an aside to this I generally find the Peco tunnel mouths/bridges provide a larger bore than usually found so I lop up to 5mm off the base of them. Measure up first, though!
Good point! I think the card model at https://scalescenes.com/product/r011-arched-bridge/ is maybe my best bet - without the wing walls. The only negative is that the actual bridge was stone. As usual, however, compromise is the name of the game!

Leon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #552 on: October 13, 2018, 03:18:12 pm »
Good point! I think the card model at https://scalescenes.com/product/r011-arched-bridge/ is maybe my best bet - without the wing walls. The only negative is that the actual bridge was stone. As usual, however, compromise is the name of the game!

Leon

That is available in 7 types, Leon. Maybe one of the Ashlars might suit e.g. the TX46

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: October 13, 2018, 05:11:11 pm »

Leon

That is available in 7 types, Leon. Maybe one of the Ashlars might suit e.g. the TX46

Mick, I think you're right. Compromises come in many shapes and sizes!  :) I've still to build my first card model, but I can't put it off much longer. Believe it or not, I'm still working to smooth out my inclines. I've used Woodland Scenics inclines and have just finished covering them with plaster cloth, but I'm still not happy with a few uneven sections. Maybe I'm being too hypersensitive, but I don't want to get it all laid "permanently" only to find that the trains won't run without derailing or wagons/coaches uncoupling. I've had a lot of trouble with the latter while testing the track but couldn't determine if the problem was unevenness or the mixture of old rolling stock I was using. Some of the couplers seem suspect. I'll know when the new wagons are running, and I don't want any surprises.

Leon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #554 on: October 13, 2018, 08:45:49 pm »
To an extent railway embankments/cuttings were quite uniform in appearance but if your 'uneven sections' are purely on the scenics then just infill 'dents' with foliage to create bushes. Shrubbery can hide an awful lot ;)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here