!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 11553 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #435 on: September 11, 2018, 01:28:10 am »
Despite the attempt to buy only wagons that would have been running pre-WWII, there have been a few for which I could find no information. I bought Volumes 1-4 of Private Owner Wagons by Bill Hudson and the first two (two and four) were delivered, today. I've just looked at the pictures but didn't see too many that I've seen as models. Nevertheless, the books are a wealth of knowledge and should be helpful for identifying appropriate wagons in the future.

Leon

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #436 on: September 11, 2018, 06:59:21 am »
Looking good Leon.  :thankyousign:  :beers:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: September 12, 2018, 06:46:06 pm »
I had my first experience with Great Stuff (liquid foam) today. I'm not a DIY person, so don't read too much into what I'm about to say. I watched a video of George Fifer (?) demonstrating it and thought it looked easy enough to try. And, foolishly, I thought I could avoid some of the mess he made. Wrong! The only good thing about it is the quick setting, but for me, that was also a disadvantage. Cleaning up was an unpleasant experience, too, but isn't that always the worst part of most tasks? I started with the intent of just practicing and observing the outcome before continuing. I ended up doing most, if not all, of my gaps and cracks. It's just such a mess I don't want to do it again if that is even possible. As many will know, Great Stuff is an adhesive and once it's on something it's not coming off completely. I can't see how the plastic applicator will not be irreparably clogged.

When the Great Stuff cures (8 hours, I believe), I'll have a job removing a huge amount of excess, but I'll be ready to glue my inclines - which have been prepared. I'll then paint everything with my GWR chocolate and begin relaying my track and dropping wires. I'm planning a week for that after which I'll post a photo! There's still a huge amount of work on the topography remaining after the track is laid. I had thought Great Stuff could be used to blend the changes in elevation, but I'm not likely to try it after today's experience! I'll be using Foam Putty and Plaster Cloth for that. The tunnel is the largest part of the topographical base remaining to be built. That should not be too challenging (have I said that before?), but I've got a few alternative ideas to resolve before starting.

Happy modelling! :)

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: September 12, 2018, 06:52:36 pm »
Itís good to experiment  and learn Leon.
I know nothing about Great Stuff but judging from your experiences it perhaps isnít so great!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #439 on: September 12, 2018, 08:29:41 pm »
i don't know if this is any good to you but these are methods I use.
To glue polystyrene together use ordinary white glue with tooth-picks or kebab sticks pushed through for support and strength.
For contours, aluminum mosquito mesh. It can be cut with scissors. Don't use the plastic variety, it's too inflexible. It is easily folded into any shape you want and is self supporting over short spans. For longer spans, newspaper crumpled up to help support the contours. Cover it with a cellulose filler or plaster. At the end it's like re-enforced concrete and is strong and rigid. It takes acrylic paints well.
There are many other methods but this works for me.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: September 13, 2018, 08:04:20 pm »
i don't know if this is any good to you but these are methods I use.
There are many other methods but this works for me.

Mito, thanks for taking the time to provide some construction tips. The toothpick suggestion is a good one. I've been using foam pins but didn't want to leave them in place when I cover the foam inclines (Woodland Scenics) with plaster cloth. My layout will not have rocks or peaks, but mainly flat sections at varying elevations with rolling hills over and behind the tunnel, so I doubt the aluminum mosquito mesh will be needed, but it does sound like a very good idea. I have a good supply of Woodland Scenic materials - Lightweight Hydrocal, Scenic Cement, Plaster Cloth, and Foam Putty. Also, an abundance of Liquid Nails and Elmer's Glue (PVA adhesive).

I'm ready to start removing the Great Stuff foam. That job will take a lot longer than the application! Maybe I'll feel differently after I'm finished, but right now Great Stuff doesn't seem so great to me - for modeling.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:57 pm »
Hi Leon.
If you are only making slight undulations why not use polystyrene packing material roughly cut to shape then covered with grout or plaster?
Itís what I do and it works for me.
Regards
Martin

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: September 13, 2018, 09:38:41 pm »
Hi Leon.
If you are only making slight undulations why not use polystyrene packing material roughly cut to shape then covered with grout or plaster?
Itís what I do and it works for me.
Regards
Martin

Martin, thanks for the suggestion. I have tons of 1/4" and 3/4" polystyrene sheets. I've used some already topping the more dense foam board. My plan is to build the tunnel using the dense board and layer it with the white, lighter weight polystyrene to create the undulations. I'll still use the plaster cloth as a topping and the Hydrocal lightweight plaster for smoothing between the undulations. (There will also be a few modest elevation changes in the middle and right side of the layout.) I think that's basically what you've suggested. If there are other tips for clarifying or extending your methodology, please let me know. I'll look back to your thread and view your photos, again, focusing on the elevations of your layout.

The excess Great Stuff wasn't as difficult to remove as I'd feared. If my applicator isn't clogged beyond redemption I'll maybe even try it again for some areas that will require a lot of fill. Great Stuff cures to a rubbery consistency, so much of it can be cut horizontally and peeled off. It can be scraped or sanded where necessary. I'll make that decision at another stage.

I had some glued foamboard lift after more than enough time to cure. Maybe I wasn't generous enough with the Liquid Nails, though I thought I was using too much. I used books for weights as I don't have clamps. I'm not a handyman (as I keep saying) so I don't have the tools many of you take for granted, and I'm determined to not spend money on things that will never again be used!

Leon
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:40:03 pm by Leon »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #443 on: September 13, 2018, 09:47:05 pm »
Hi Leon
If you look at the early threads for Tregonning it should give an idea as to how I made my hills etc.
Martin

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #444 on: September 13, 2018, 09:58:33 pm »
Another idea which has just crossed my limited mind is polyurathane foam. Cheap, very messy when first sprayed but very light and workable. Put some newspaper on the ground and simply spray the foam into an oval mess. It will expand considerably and a light spray of water while it's still in liquid form will help it cure. When it has hardened it can be cut with a bread knife, but don't let your wife catch you raiding the kitchen :no:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2018, 10:03:50 pm »
Another idea which has just crossed my limited mind is polyurathane foam. Cheap, very messy when first sprayed but very light and workable. Put some newspaper on the ground and simply spray the foam into an oval mess. It will expand considerably and a light spray of water while it's still in liquid form will help it cure. When it has hardened it can be cut with a bread knife, but don't let your wife catch you raiding the kitchen :no:

Mito, I think your liquid polyurathane foam must be the same as Great Stuff! See my previous posts. I can see how that would work, and never gave a thought to using it that way. Thanks for the suggestion!

Leon

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #446 on: September 13, 2018, 10:22:09 pm »
I don't think it's the same stuff. It cures rigid and if crushed has a crumbly texture. I buy mine from a builders merchant for about 5Ä, what ever that is in funny money :)  It expands to about 70 litres. I haven't got any at the moment so I can't send you a photo of the can but I'll send a photo tomorrow of the results.
It's better than expanded polystyrene as there are no little beads of foam that get everywhere when it's cut.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #447 on: September 14, 2018, 09:05:19 am »
That's a LOT of progress, Leon.  :claphappy:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: September 14, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »
That's a LOT of progress, Leon.  :claphappy:

Thanks, Chris! I'm not sure about progress, but it's a lot of work for an old guy.

I guess you're home from your holidays. Hope it was relaxing and/or exciting - or, preferably, both!

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #449 on: September 14, 2018, 08:14:11 pm »

I guess you're home from your holidays. Hope it was relaxing and/or exciting - or, preferably, both!

Leon

It was very pleasant thanks. Got to ride my new mountain bike along an old railway line, went sea fishing with a friend in his boat and nearly got dashed on The Manacles, bought a new mobile phone and sorted out a mortgage. All good and productive fun!  :laugh3:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything