!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 3105 times)

Leon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 07:34:22 am »
Leon

Many thanks. I think that Iíll drop you a Personal Message if thatís ok re locomotives and stock around Westbury.
I think it might be a bit detailed for the forum.
Iíll send it in the next day or so.

Martin

Aww, @port perran , some of us might well be interested. Go on, make it public...please.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.
And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 10:49:07 am »
Re the Wragg  handbook, I'm  just rerading my Southern edition and noticed a couple of errors, a photo caption showing an N class 2-6-0 but caption says King Arthur N15 class, although it does get the number correct 31816; the other error is in the text and claims Bulleid retired in anger at the rebuilding of his pacifics, yes he was angry but he retired  in 1949 yet rebuilding was not authorised until 1955 but did not start until 35018 returned to traffic Feb 1856.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 09:27:02 pm »
Re the Wragg  handbook ... noticed a couple of errors

Accuracy is always important, but I'll never recognize those kinds of errors. Still, I'm glad there are people who do!

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:43 pm »
I've created a photo album from the images I took when I visited Westbury. Some of you know the Junction better than I, but my guess is that most have never been through the station. I'm pasting a link to my Westbury album in Google Photos. Double click any image and then click the "info" logo in the upper right corner for information about that particular image.

I'm in the process of re-arranging my office/library to accommadate a layout, and I'm having the baseboard built by a real carpenter. In the meantime, I'm running trains in my mind, and imagining things like inclines that are an integral part of construction. I've lots of questions, and I'll be asking them here - one at a time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMDFfCezrKBXweg6A

Best regards,
Leon

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:58:24 pm by Leon, Reason: Change link »

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 10:29:40 pm »
I've created a photo album from the images I took when I visited Westbury.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMDFfCezrKBXweg6A
Best regards,
Leon

@Leon Lovely set of photographs that. Thank you for posting.
Ive only ever been through Westbury once and of course its a very interesting station/yard. When I've looked back at your plan, I think you've done really well to squeeze in all that track work. Really interested to watch this develop.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 12:10:16 am »
I'm considering 5mm Poplar Plywood for my baseboard, topped with either 1/4 inch cork or 1/2 inch foam board insulation. I have a couple of ponds on the lower side of the layout, so I'm leaning toward foam board. I have little elevation to deal with, but the typography in the middle of the layout does rise gradually, and my inclination is to use sheets of polystyrene. Comments?

Leon

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 07:45:47 am »
Persoanlly I would use open frame construction using timber frame work (poplar in North America is far more readily available than it is here in the UK but is a good stable product). I would top the frame work with cut out ply thus making the baseboard an open frame. This will allow you to drop your ponds into the spaces. Have a look here http://www.pls-layouts.co.uk/html/baseboards.htm
Im not a fan of soft material as a base for the track, I persoanally like something more solid, such as ply wood. 6mm ply is usually OK, if it is well supported. 9mm is absolutely fine. Anything thicker is too big, in my opinion.
Hope this helps.
cheers
Kirky
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:48:34 am by kirky »

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 05:36:18 pm »

Hi Leon
 stock box never stops growing - Im afraid I cant resist a bargain.

Cheers
Kirky

Kirky, the temptation to acquire is a universal trait to which I'm not immune. I've just ordered a couple wagons from Hatton's. But, my expenditures in the future will be for structures and scenery. I've been filling in my track plan with some representations of buildings, animals, and trees and have decided 32 sq ft is a lot of space to fill. I seriously am thinking now in terms of four years for completion rather than the two I had planned!

BTW, if anybody is reading this, I'm needing a GWR guard van (or two). I have two green BR coaches (probably Lima) I'm willing to trade.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 06:42:21 pm »
Hi Leon

I did say that I would give a few thoughts re my growing up in Trowbridge and frequent visits to Westbury.
Itís outside your chosen era Iím afraid. I was born in 1954 and my spotting memories are really from 62-67.
My early spotting was at Trowbridge where a group of us spent many Saturdays on Trowbridge station or afternoons and evenings at what we called Black Bridge at Ladydown on the Bradford side of Trowbridge.
Black Bridge provided (especially in the period 62-64) many steam locos. There was even a goods loop where 28xx and others were often held as passenger trains passed.
Starting with freight we saw plenty of South Wales to Westbury, Salisbury and the SR. The Dalisbury loco freight was usually in the hands of a 72xx 2-8-2T. Many other freights were hauled by 28xx, 22xx, Halls, Granges and both large and small praries. We still had daily pick up goods (usually pannier hauled). Passenger turns saw Halls, Counties, Manors and Castles on Trains to and from  Bristol. Cardiff and Fishguard from Portsmouth, Salisbury and Westbury as well as praries and panniers on local turns (including to Devizes and Swindon via Holt and Melksham). Wwe also witnessed the introduction of diesels (esp hydraulics) of hymek, warship (rare) and western classes as well as dmus.
Saturday mornings are well remembered on Trowbridge station (with the distinctive smells and sounds of Bowyers bacon factory nearby). We befriended a couple of porters who kept us informed of special trains and treated us to real railway tea!  We also met the 3 legged station cat who reportedly lost a leg in an altercation with a shunting engine.
Moving on to Westbury and what a mecca for trainspotters with the Bristo/S Wales to Salisbury and beyond trains and also to Weymouth. Plus, of course, the main London to Devon and Cornwall expresses. It seemed to be constant action involving virtually every class of WR locos. Including two 56xx 0-6-2tanks used for banking duties on Upton ascudamore bank.
We also saw SR and Standard classes of course particularly from Salisbury tnough 92xxx and WD freight locos were rarer. We saw some ex LMS locos fairly often, especially  lack 5s and 8Fs and on at least 2 occassions ex LNER BIs having worked down from Banbury on freights,
The shed was easy to bunk and always produced at least 40 numbers. In later days, we had the sad sight of withdrawn locos from WR and SR en route to the South Wales scrapyards. Very sad. We would often see trains of 4 or 5 withdrawn locos being hauled dead towards South Wales.
Finally, angling was another passtime. We spent many happy hours at Frogmore Lake. Thatsís not the one near the station but about 250yds further away. An ex mie hole (iron ore). The Westbury avoiding line ran right by the lake and we wouls see heavy London to South West expresses roar by with Castles and Kings (and others) in charge.
Great days.
Only a tiny insight but I hope it gives a flavour of the area in the early 60s. Maybe Iíve made scant mention of diesels but we saw many as the 60s progressed. I copped all the Hymeks, Warships and Westerns plus many early Brush Type 4s and Class 37s. As well as Class 33s from the SR.
Fabulous days and great fun.
Oh.....and I forgot about the pennies on the line. I had them for years but alas they are gone now.
Regards
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 10:16:20 pm »
Hi Leon
I did say that I would give a few thoughts re my growing up in Trowbridge and frequent visits to Westbury.
Regards
Martin

Martin, that was a treat! I'll have a few questions and requests for elaboration, later. One thing you might like to know - that small lake or pond features in my layout, so I asked the barman of The Railway Inn if it was still there. It's not; having been drained for a housing project. There was clearing and construction around the larger pond, but the barman said there was no plan to drain it - just the construction of a road along the southern shore to the area seen in the lower left of my layout. You guessed! It's for another housing development. I've no idea what the construction on the north shore was. Maybe the plan is to have the pond entirely circumnavigated by a road. That is my guess. I've no idea about the fishing, but there is still a sailing club for the local youth.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 08:17:21 am »
Leon

Glad that was useful. I have lots more memories if you need any more. Plus I have an Uncle, now aged 77, who worked in the rail traffic control office at Westbusy in the late 50s and early 60s. He has a wealth of knowledge re traffic movements.
As for the lakes. The one I used to fish is still very much there. Itís called Frogmore (lying alongside Slag Lane). It is bigger and deeper than the one by the station (Eden Vale Lake). In the early 20th century, the various tin mines (i think there were 9 in all) were connected by a narrow gauge rail system. On sunny days we could see the tracks in a shallower part of the lake with 3 old wagons still sitting there.
The lakes were flooded I think in the 1930s and have been fisheries since the 50s. A few of the smaller ones were indeed filled in revently.
By the way, during the war, there was a military installation about half a mile from the station at Westbury on the Trowbridge line which was rail served until the early 1950s.

Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 09:30:06 pm »
Persoanlly I would use open frame construction using timber frame work (poplar in North America is far more readily available than it is here in the UK but is a good stable product). I would top the frame work with cut out ply thus making the baseboard an open frame. This will allow you to drop your ponds into the spaces. Have a look here http://www.pls-layouts.co.uk/html/baseboards.htm
Im not a fan of soft material as a base for the track, I persoanally like something more solid, such as ply wood. 6mm ply is usually OK, if it is well supported. 9mm is absolutely fine. Anything thicker is too big, in my opinion.
Hope this helps.
cheers
Kirky

I know open frame construction is frequently recommended, but somehow I can't get my head around that. I will not be doing the open frame construction, so I still have to decide about the material to top the plywood (assuming there isn't a better suggestion). My entire 8' x 10' board will be topped with something for sound deafening purposes. Cork is rather expensive when the majority of the board will then be covered with something else - probably layers of foam board. Insulation foam board takes care of the sound issue and seems, to me, to be sufficiently firm. I've seen video of water features created by removing an area of insulation foam. I think that will work, but would welcome comments from anyone who has done it - with or without success. I appreciate Kirky's suggestion, but when the frame is finished I have to construct the contours and elevations and open frame isn't something I feel confident to handle. I need to make a decision on materials to schedule the carpenter, so all are invited to chip in their "two cents" worth of advice.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 09:41:59 pm »
Just received in the mail, today, The Great Western Railway - 150 Glorious Years, the official souvenir Authorized by the Bristish Rail Western Region published in 1984. That should be everything I need to know about GWR. In the meantime, I'm reading The Southern Handbook: The Southern Railway 1923-1947 by Wragg, David which came in yesterday's mail.

Leon
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:43:17 pm by Leon »

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 09:52:47 pm »
By the way, during the war, there was a military installation about half a mile from the station at Westbury on the Trowbridge line which was rail served until the early 1950s.
Martin

Martin, I went to Google maps and zoomed in on a sattelite view of the Westbury area. There is a faint outline of what could have been a siding approaching Hawkeridge Road at Yarnbrook. Also, there is what might be tarmac with paths to the road and another to the railroad (maybe the remains of a station/parking lot?).

I Do have other questions, but I'll hold them for later.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 04:57:10 pm »
I read a few recommendations for insulation board, including the following - I certainly would recommend insulation board. I still have 2-3 boards from circa 1980s that have never warped and will be used later this year, I hope. I personally would avoid plywood - it's hard as nails and reverberates like anything. Yes, I know there are dozens if not hundreds (or more) on the MRF who swear by it but it certainly is not for me.

My idea is to use insulation board as a topping for the plywood. Does anyone think that would be overkill? If I go that route, would the thinner plywood be adequate for my 4' by 8' board? I just like the idea of plywood under a softer surface. I was just reading about sundeala board (which is highly touted by Peco and the N Model Handbook that is my general reference), but when I Goggled to see if I could buy it, or a substitute, in the United States I discovered numerous horror stories about it. So,I guess it boils down to personal preference.

I really would like a round of opinons on my idea before I buy the materials (I've got to grab the carpenter when I can. This time of year it's really hard to find one who will do a small job.)

Leon
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:58:45 pm by Leon »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here