!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:11:54 pm »
Here it is! For better or for worse, the planning is finished. Of course, there will be more changes, but this is as close as I can get to the image in my mind of what I want it to be. Please don't tell me it won't work!  :D If it won't, I'll know that soon enough and will make whatever adjustments are necessary to get the trains running.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:48:56 pm »
Father's Day brought me an Amazon Gift Certificate. I'd like to buy a good history of the GWR. Any suggestions?

Leon

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:51:47 pm »
A look at Amazon UK shows quite a few, for your period I would suggest David Wragg's "GWR Handbook" covering 1923 to 1947, don't know if it is also available in USA.

I have his Southern Handbook, it covers most of the relevant topics, history, routes, locos coaches, some stations., mainly text with some pictures

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GWR-Handbook-Western-Railway-1923-47-ebook/dp/B071HHCBP5/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529271295&sr=1-11&keywords=gwr+railway+book
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:42:01 am »
Hi Leon,

Am no good at track planning and know nothing about GWR books but just to say hi and looking forward to your build.

Looks like an interesting one.

From what you've said on other posts, you take care now.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:37:31 am »
Hi Leon
That looks really interesting. Quite an unusual track plan, which is quite an achievement in itself. Its not my era or area but interesting all the same.

Just a couple of questions; where does the yellow line go to? Is there another space that you havent drawn?
And I have to ask about a fiddle yard. You dont have one, and that is great if it works for you - its your railway. But if you are like the rest of us, you will have far more stock than will fit on your railway. Just wondering where it will get stored?

Anyway thanks for posting such an interesting concept. Ive often fantacised about Westbury as a possiblity for modelling in modern image.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:24 pm »
A look at Amazon UK shows quite a few, for your period I would suggest David Wragg's "GWR Handbook" covering 1923 to 1947, don't know if it is also available in USA.

I have his Southern Handbook, it covers most of the relevant topics, history, routes, locos coaches, some stations., mainly text with some pictures

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GWR-Handbook-Western-Railway-1923-47-ebook/dp/B071HHCBP5/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529271295&sr=1-11&keywords=gwr+railway+book

Thanks so much for your reponse. It vendicates an action I've already taken. I've ordered all for of the regional handbooks by David Wragg. Two were available at Amazon and two are being shipped from the UK. I'm still trying to decide between several GWR specific histories.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:55:27 pm »
From what you've said on other posts, you take care now.

Weave, I guess you're referring to my health. Like all of us post 70 guys, I've my share of ailments, but none that I consider merits complaining! I DO take care, and my decision to build a train layout is part of it. Happiness fuels both our mental and physical health, and you guys (and gals?) seem to be very happy people.  :)  Thanks for your post and please watch out for what this octogenarian (almost) accoomplishes in the weeks and months ahead - if anything! I'll never come close to the quality that I'm seeing produced by so many in this Forum, but I'll have just as much fun.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:06:44 pm »
It is all about enjoyment.
Have fun with your layout Leon.
I知 really looking forward to this as I grew up in Trowbridge and spent many hours at Westbury (and bunking the shed).
I知 not as old as you but old enough to remember everyday steam and the huge variety of locomotives to be seen at Westbury.
Enjoy.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:17:14 pm »
Just a couple of questions; where does the yellow line go to? Is there another space that you havent drawn?
And I have to ask about a fiddle yard. You dont have one, and that is great if it works for you - its your railway. But if you are like the rest of us, you will have far more stock than will fit on your railway. Just wondering where it will get stored?

Kirky, I really don't like fiddle yards, and I'll not be adding too much rolling stock to the inventory I have already. Everything I have will fit nicely on the layout. If I live long enough, I may complete this layout, but it is planned to occupy me for two years - after which I can reconsider. If my circumstances don't change too much, I've plenty of room to join another board of equal size.

The yellow line is the Bristol to Salisbury line (and on to Southampton, I guess). I'll be running a tank loco and autocoach between Dilton Marsh and Trowbridge. The limitations of my board require distortion of direction, but I'm only trying to "suggest" the destinations. I am attempting to replicate two or three features on the Trowbridge end - the curve after the station and the road crossing before, plus probably a couple of buildings (at some point). Dilton Marsh was just a halt during the time frame I'm modeling, but it will be as realistic as I can make it in the space available.

My intention is to run a Castle Class 5044 Earl of Dunraven pulling four coaches on the up express line, and a goods train on the down line (London via Pewsey to Taunton and Weymouth).

Thanks for your reponse and questions.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »
I知 not as old as you but old enough to remember everyday steam and the huge variety of locomotives to be seen at Westbury.

As time permits, I'd really enjoying hearing more about your time in Trowbridge and Westbury, and details about the rolling stock that you observed passing through. The most vivid memory I have of the steam era is the sight of a line of multi liveried locos in Caledonian Station, Edinburgh. I walked through the station two or three times a week in the early '60s.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 06:30:46 pm »
Leon

Many thanks. I think that I値l drop you a Personal Message if that痴 ok re locomotives and stock around Westbury.
I think it might be a bit detailed for the forum.
I値l send it in the next day or so.

Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »
The most vivid memory I have of the steam era is the sight of a line of multi liveried locos in Caledonian Station, Edinburgh.

It was even better before nationalisation in 1948, each of the 4 companies had their own livery, admittedly 3 of them were green but different shades of green, freight locos were all black. Coaches were also in distinct liveries, LMS red, LNER teak, SR green, GWR chocolate and cream.

I saw my first diesel about 1960, 3 car DMUs running between Wellington and Lapworth, but still plenty of steam about. My main interest however is 1930s Southern Railway steam although I didn't take much notice until about 1940.

In my school days  (1940s) the Southern line from  Waterloo to Weymouth ran past the school sports field, but close enough to the class rooms for us to just about make out the numbers - those of us interested had our Ian Allan ABC books in our desks so we could mark off the numbers. I've still got a copy of the 1943 edition, getting a bit tattered though! Quite a few on Ebay, prices a bit more than the 1/- when new!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Allan_(publisher)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:35:59 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:36 pm »
Mike, thanks for sharing your experiences and the wikipedia article about Ian Allan.

Leon

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:38 pm »
No problem Leon, us old'uns gotta keep you young colonials educated  :whistle: ::) :hmmm: :whiteflag:
Cheers MIKE

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 07:32:39 am »

Kirky, I really don't like fiddle yards, and I'll not be adding too much rolling stock to the inventory I have already.
Thanks for your reponse and questions.

Leon
Hi Leon
Good for you! I t really is your railway and you should run it like you want.
I wish I had your self discipline. My stock box never stops growing - Im afraid I cant resist a bargain. Im looking forward to this develop.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here