!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2018, 05:08:44 am »
I like the look of the French team and their chances in the final, but I'm supporting Croatia (along with Scott) as they will be even greater underdogs for this game than they were against England.

You can call me Webbitch until after the game is played.

Webbic

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2018, 05:26:27 am »
Just watched the replay. Not that it's worth anything, but my assessment is that England had a great first half, but lost the plot in the second.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2018, 07:11:01 am »
Overall, “the lads done good”, a true credit.

I favour France in the final but Croatia will not go easily....

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:55 am »
 :'( Our eldest has both France and Croatia in her work's sweepstake, so every cloud etc.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:51:04 am by RailGooner »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2018, 08:05:03 am »
One of the ITV commentators in the second half kept saying there was nothing between the teams, and it was anyone's game. I'm sure he wasn't watching the same game as me!
Sadly England seemed to lose the plot in the second half, and Croatia were far more proactive and hungry for the ball. England were by far the cleaner team, and I often felt the Ref was wrong in his decisions. England did extremely well to reach the semis, and after the first half I thought they would win through.
A great team of young players, an inspiration for so many, and I look forward to their playoff game against Belgium.

Next time...........
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2018, 08:19:29 am »
Same here.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2018, 08:53:31 am »
I agree with Daffy ,I don’t know why but Croatia seemed to me to allways pass the ball and there was a team member there to take it England just didn’t seem to be able to do that ,they had some good chances once they did get possession of the ball but there was no team member there to support them.
And my observation is from someone who doesn’t follow football ,England were definitely the cleaner players with far less questionable tackles.
Just my penny worth .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2018, 08:59:00 am »
I have Croatia in the work sweepstake so £30 profit even if they lose to Les Francais!!....

The team looked average last night, Walker, Ali in over their heads, Kane was trying to be a midfielder and forgot he was the striker....shame Lalanna, Gomez, Oxlade Chamberlain, Clyne weren't fit enough to be in the squad, Walker at fault for the first goal and if Gomez had been fit Walker would have been a bench warmer... Almost like what happens to spurs most seasons near the end, they capitulate.....

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2018, 11:17:09 am »
Just watched the replay. Not that it's worth anything, but my assessment is that England had a great first half, but lost the plot in the second.

It hurts! it hurts! and that's just agreeing with Bealman  :-[  :sorrysign: George  :D
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2018, 01:19:28 pm »
I have Croatia in the work sweepstake so £30 profit even if they lose to Les Francais!!....

The team looked average last night, Walker, Ali in over their heads, Kane was trying to be a midfielder and forgot he was the striker....shame Lalanna, Gomez, Oxlade Chamberlain, Clyne weren't fit enough to be in the squad, Walker at fault for the first goal and if Gomez had been fit Walker would have been a bench warmer... Almost like what happens to spurs most seasons near the end, they capitulate.....

Yep!! You nailed it. Nothing to add.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: July 14, 2018, 05:27:37 pm »
A totally lacklustre and uninspired performance from England in the first half. Second half better but they were up against the better side who wanted the game more. I really think some lessons in ball control and how to make crosses that cause defences problems are in order.

On a secondary note, I'm pleased about the way the games have been split between BBC and ITV but am I alone in thinking it's not right both channels should be allowed to show the final tomorrow?
I feel sorry for non-footie viewers whose Sunday afternoon becomes "Which commentary do I prefer?" Even worse if they don't like tennis either!

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: July 14, 2018, 06:29:51 pm »
A totally lacklustre and uninspired performance from England in the first half. Second half better but they were up against the better side who wanted the game more. I really think some lessons in ball control and how to make crosses that cause defences problems are in order.

On a secondary note, I'm pleased about the way the games have been split between BBC and ITV but am I alone in thinking it's not right both channels should be allowed to show the final tomorrow?
I feel sorry for non-footie viewers whose Sunday afternoon becomes "Which commentary do I prefer?" Even worse if they don't like tennis either!

It was another average performance from England, but that is the level of the team.

Other channels exist? I get 70+ freeview channels. Plenty of choice for those non football fans.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: July 14, 2018, 06:32:32 pm »
What's this? There are channels other than Eurosport and ITV4(!)? :tv:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: July 14, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
Having had a premonition that Belgium would win today I spent a sunny day putting a new roof on one of my sheds. At rest points I kept on eye on the tennis and Tour de France.
Tomorrow, with a Teddy Parachute drop at my Grandkids local church - no, I have no idea what will be happening yet either, but have premonitions (I'm prone to them at the moment) of 5 year olds plummeting to the ground from atop a church tower as teddies gets launched into the wild blue yonder) - sport will once again take a back seat, but I hope to keep an eye on the Wimbledon Men's Final and Le Tour. The latter looks like a fun day as the stage is Arras Citadelle > Roubaix, 156,5 km, involving ascents and cobblestones.

As for the World Cup Final, as Lauren would say, I'm not really bovvered, but good luck to both teams.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: July 14, 2018, 07:44:47 pm »
A spirited 2nd half performance from England offers hope, I think for the future.
We are getting there. In my opinion, Sterling, Lingaard and Ali, although gifted, are a bit too lightweight at the moment and lacking that final pass.
As for Harry Kane, maybe he’s just carrying a knock - he’s not been at his sharpest since the group stages.
However, if this group can maintain their enthusiasm and are willing to learn and develop then who knows in 2 or 4 years what might happen.
Overall, I’d have taken 4th back in May but, of course, having got so near we will all think what might have been.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:51:57 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything