!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2018, 10:39:50 pm »
That is assuming France beat Belgium, not a pushover team!

I was only posing a hypothetical possibility not what I believe will actually happen. If I was that good I'd buy lottery tickets ;)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2018, 01:19:54 am »
 :claphappy:,

Watched it in the pub. So glad I did. Fantastic atmosphere.

It was packed but managed to get a stool on the corner of the dog leg bar which meant I could see both TVs.

A guy came up next to me to get a drink and while stooping over the bar said 'you've got the best place to sit and watch the game'.

I said 'not really, there's a tall bloke with a great big head standing right in front of the main telly. He's not there at the moment'.

You've probably guessed but he stood up tall, turned his back on me and said 'recognise this'.  :worried:. As I looked at his tattooed arms as big as my legs he laughed and said 'sorry mate I'll try and move slightly to the right'. Got chatting. Really nice fella. Phewey  :).

Good performance, Pickford fantastic and a great day.

After 1 am now so have just woken up from what I like to call a football siesta  :D.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS Martin (Port Perran), didn't want to kiss of death it but the Turkish guy in the kebab shop, I found out on Friday, also has a bet on an England v Belgium final so now there are more chances for free kebabs  :claphappy:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:21:07 am by weave »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2018, 01:32:36 am »
That's a good story! Could have had a sad ending!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2018, 09:32:40 am »
Yeah. You might have had to rename yourself 'Dodge & Weave' :worried:

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2018, 04:24:38 pm »
Well what a few games!

Personally yeah of course I want to see us in the final, but I won't be upset of we don't get there to say we were in the semi finals.
But I can see us beating Croatia, and from their point of view they had to go to penalties to get through while England won during normal time. My main concern is what tactics Croatia going to play they like to play rough at times especially when their back is against the wall.

But back to the Sweden game, Pickford just wow the saves he pulled of just amazing and fully deserving of the man of the match! I think Everton may struggle to keep hold of him after the World Cup he really has proven his quality and proven all the doubters totally wrong! I would say keeper of the tournament so far yes he has conceded but when it counted he made the saves!

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2018, 04:59:17 pm »
There was a lot of 'idiots' celebrating Englands win against Sweden. My opinion this is totally unacceptable

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44756829

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2018, 06:04:27 pm »
Sadly there are those who have no regard for others. I wonder how they'd feel if someone (Geoff Capes, for example) danced on top of their car, or someone died because an ambulance was out of action due to their stupidity. Being drunk (if that was the reason) is no excuse for criminal damage but no doubt no arrests were made ::)

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2018, 07:47:44 pm »
Hopefully in this digital age where so many post photos and videos online, it will be possible for the local Police to identify and punish those who damage so much in this way. The damage is not just physical, but does untold harm to the image of the Englishman abroad. Not that much assistance in that regard is required following similar displays by so-called fans over the years.
Whether it's booze, adrenalin, euphoria or just mindless stupidity that leads to these sorry scenes, it should be countered heavily and severely until the message becomes clear: "Unacceptable!"
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #263 on: July 08, 2018, 08:00:55 pm »
Idiots, as others have said. Have a laugh but don't go mental.

I think all is calm in Russia. Apparently, according to British radio, Putin said that if any Russian hooligan caused any trouble whatsoever 'they would never see their family again'.

Seems to have worked. Nanny state or dictatorship, you decide  ???

Can we go back to football?

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: July 08, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »
seems that, as usual, so called fans manage to spoil the general joy as usual.

hope the dorset dogs managed to deal with a few of these idiots.

as I was always told
'drunkenness is no excuse for offenses committed'

book 'em Dano, idiocy one  ;D 
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2018, 08:10:49 pm »
A bit of a first.
We were at a very large classic car show at Powderham on Fri/Sat/Sun showing our VW camper Bertie.
So....we listened to the football on the radio. Very strange at the show, really busy Sat morning and today but incredibly quiet on Sat afternoon. One wonders why??

Anyway, gals England won. Ready for the SF on Wednesday.
And Weave...lso...double kebabs all round then  :beers:
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: July 08, 2018, 08:21:37 pm »
Hi Martin,

Please don't blame my Brittany residents if France 'large chicken' up his Croatia to win it or England/Belgium in the final bets.

Now, do you want salad with it? I don't like cucumber but I do like all the other gubbins.

Can't wait for Wednesday. I'm so lost today I even did a bit of work on the layout although nothing worth reporting.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2018, 08:32:25 pm »
Whilst Gareth Southgate, his backroom squad and the players themselves have displayed dignity, respect and humility, unfortunately the EBC (formally the BBC), BBC & ITV commentators and pundits, and to an extent, the English public themselves have not, yet, seem surprised by the lack of support for a home nation by the rest of the UK  ::)

As a (Scottish) Anglo-Scot, with an English wife, we have visited Croatia several times, we love the people, the country, the food, the whole shabang. It's not going to be an easy semi final to watch, guaranteed one of us will be happier tho  ;)

Offline acook

• Awards
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »
Now, do you want salad with it? I don't like cucumber but I do like all the other gubbins.

The same here!
Mint sauce and chilli sauce.
Standard Friday night Tucker.

Alan

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:37 am »
Morning all,

Just seeing if anyone is feeling nervous like me.

I didn't get to watch the game last night but saw a few highlights. Lets hope Pickford can keep up being as good as LLoris and Courtois who made some fantastic saves.

We shall see. Hope you all get to watch and enjoy it.

Come on England!  :claphappy:

Thought talking about it might calm my nerves but no, still a nervous wreck and still got all day to get through  :doh:.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything