!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 5351 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:08 am »
Why can’t football be refereed like rugby?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2018, 07:54:49 am »
Because you'd be watching 10 minutes of video ref from every conceivable angle before the game restarts.

Well that's what happens here with rugby league  ;)

Anyway, well done the Poms!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:17 am »
Hi Keith,

Because there wouldn't be any players left. I do think a 10 minute sin bin would be a good idea maybe  :hmmm:.

Hi Martin,

Why can't you watch it if that's not too nosey? Poor chap. If it's a wedding I'm sure some of the lads have a cunning plan  ;)

Hi broadsword,

I used to be part scotch but can't drink spirits anymore :no:  :D

Loved the commentary team celebrations and Ian Wright's punditry basically saying I don't care we won!!!  :)

Roll on Saturday.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:10 am »
Hi Chris (Weave)
We’ll be at the Historic Vehicle Gathering at Powderham Castle near Exeter showing Bertie our Campervan.
It’s a huge show and we’ve been booked for months.
I’m sure my phone will come to out rescue.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2018, 08:49:03 am »
Point taken George. Although watching 10 mins of var might be more preferable to watching 5 minutes of players surrounding the ref arguing in his face  :hmmm:

Not necessarily advocating a sin bin Weave, but what’s the problem with sending players off if it’s the correct decision, (according to the laws of the game)? Behaviour will soon change if that happens. Apart from Neymar’s theatricals, multiple rolls after no contact occurs less frequently now, following a change in law “interpretation”?

However, maybe just one rule transfer from rugby (union) then, only the captain is allowed to speak to the referee, simples?

It’s all down to the cojones (ok mods?) of the governing body. There have been many var examples where the obvious decision has not been taken.

And yes, well done England and particularly Gareth Southgate.  :beers:

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2018, 09:27:38 am »
I believe it is only the captain that is supposed to speak to the Ref, unfortunately until a Ref dishes out some yellows for being surrounded it won't change.

I think a yellow should be a sin bin 7-10 mins as that would really impact the game so players might think twice about it, if there had been a sin bin (or two) regardless of the lack of red it would have changed the game.

A wins a win, pleased we got over the penalty curse and also the ITV curse  :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2018, 09:48:33 am »
To heck with a 'sin bin'. Considering where they are I think anyone sent off should qualify as a winner of a week's holiday in Siberia. Might make the riff raff (great description @broadsword )think twice.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:30 am »
I watch football a lot (having seen Bristol City play well over 1200 times) and have witnessed a general deterioration of player behaviour and respect commensurate with society in general.
It is high time that referees are given power to a) issue a yellow card for any player talking back b) immediately issue a red for continued argument c) an immediate red card for simulation d) sensible bans for red cards and,say, 3 yellow cards.
The football associations and managers must equally take this seriously. Fines and bans for players mustbe realistic.
OK there will be games spoiled by sendings off but players and clubs will very quickly get the message.
Football has be ome soft (Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris wouldn’t last two mins these days) and so have the authorities.
Now is the time to act.
Rant over .
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: July 04, 2018, 10:03:44 am »
Put that man in charge of the FA and FIFA!
 :thankyousign:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:55 am »
I watch football a lot (having seen Bristol City play well over 1200 times) and have witnessed a general deterioration of player behaviour and respect commensurate with society in general.
It is high time that referees are given power to a) issue a yellow card for any player talking back b) immediately issue a red for continued argument c) an immediate red card for simulation d) sensible bans for red cards and,say, 3 yellow cards.
The football associations and managers must equally take this seriously. Fines and bans for players mustbe realistic.
OK there will be games spoiled by sendings off but players and clubs will very quickly get the message.
Football has be ome soft (Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris wouldn’t last two mins these days) and so have the authorities.
Now is the time to act.
Rant over .

Well said, Sir.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2018, 11:12:51 am »
:NGF: I nearly broke the Thank You button there with so many fine posts to this thread since my last.

Now is the time to act.
Rant over .

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately though, football today is run by TV and media companies. And they want as few red cards as possible and as few interruptions as possible. IIRC one rule requires a minimum of seven team members on the field - drop to six players and your team forfeit the match. What would the TV companies have done if England had been awarded the match after 45 minutes? Advertisers demanding a refund because they'd paid high expecting their ad (scheduled for full time) to be seen by an audience of millions, but instead seen by a few thousand watching a repeat of Coronation Street!

Oh, and you might have guessed from my new avatar, my MoTM vote goes to Jordan Lee Pickford. :beers:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:15:56 am by RailGooner, Reason: ITALICS »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2018, 06:49:37 pm »
I used to play hockey and I've done a bit of umpiring in my time. The trouble with football is that there arent enough sanctions available to the ref. Certainly a time limited sending off - a sin bin- is worth a try. But I like the advance play ten metres rule. Awward free kick, issue card, dissent fromculprits - then advance play ten metres. If that results in a free kick in the box then that is a penalty kick. It stops dissent quickly and play usually resumes quickly which should keep the advertising and media people happy. Just my 2p.

Cheers
Kirky.
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2018, 07:25:06 pm »
I am really a fan of the penalty-box (sin-bin) idea. Playing down a man (or two) because your goofy player(s) can't behave will cause management and ownership to get involved. Kangaroo Court can come into play. Get put in the sin-bin for a stretch, you get fined.

Something has to happen. As an American who came to soccer late (2006) I must say one of the hardest sells to my contemporaries is all of the flopping/flailing/rolling. It makes for a bad visual.

ALSO - the South American and Euro basketballers have brought this nonsense to the NBA! Now massive humans like Lebron James (A player I otherwise love) have learned the power of flopping and go flying across the court like a rhino hit them. Grr!!  :veryangry:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2018, 02:25:05 am »
Seems to me that yellow cards are usually issued to the tackling player rather than the tackled player who takes a dive after his legs have been touched. Admittedly, South Americans have poorer balance and much more sensitive legs so it's understandable why they seem to be more affected by errant tackles. The theatrics of the likes of Neymar really do hold the game in disrepute and should be punished by yellow cards or sin bins.

Webbo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2018, 01:42:00 pm »
I see a certain non Columbian bloated has-been has gone on record as saying the ref was hopeless and that Columbia were robbed ::)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything