!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Airbrush for beginner?  (Read 618 times)

Offline saddler

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Airbrush for beginner?
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:19:27 pm »
Time has come to add an airbrush to the armoury, any ideas to something half decent that wont break the bank? Cheers

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Airbrush for beginner?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:56 pm »
Iwata neo.
https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/AA/airbrushes/neo-for-iwata-cn-gravity-feed-airbrush?d=22&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7aaz1PfT2wIV1IXVCh3OKQh3EAQYASABEgI1F_D_BwE

I wouldn’t go cheaper especially in N gauge as the results will be disappointing all of course IMHO.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:45:23 pm »
I too am interested in which one, I have read through many threads and end up more confused than anything, these Iwata brushes seem to get good reviews, however I see the paint cup can be in various places depending on the model, which is preferable for our applications? Ease of use and placement of cup obstructing the object being sprayed?
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:27:11 pm »
I was in Aldi, (in Ireland), today and saw that they had one for something like €69, (about £60). I quite like the tools made for Aldi and was tempted. However, it was syphon fed, (if I read it right - the paint bottle was under the airbrush), and from having read reviews on the forum and elsewhere, a gravity fed airbrush seems to be the way to go - I am right thinking that?

Addit: Should have said the set up was complete in that it also had the compressor.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:32:07 pm by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit! »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:31:04 pm »
@dannyboy If that price includes the compressor, its a cheap airbrush. I have four or five airbrushes and I favour side or bottom fed airbrushes. The reason being that the cup can get in your line of sight if you are doing close-up work. Obviously for longer strokes it wont matter as the object will be further away. Incidently the airbrush I recommended does have a top feed cup. In my opinion that is the neo's one disadvantage. However, a bottom or side feed probably costs twice as much.
I think for people wanting to learn airbrushing you have a couple of options; get someone to teach you, or do as I have done and watch endless videos on youtube and have a go, buy several airbrushes and make your own decision. Actually having more than one one airbrush can be a benefit if you need a couple of colours at the same time.
Hope this helps.
Kirky

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:26:19 am »
I used https://www.everythingairbrush.com/ and they were very helpful in answering questions, I was actually buying one to use on my Graphic Design degree, (was a Badger 155 Anthem and mini compressor kit) once I get moved and have a railway room... I will be revisiting this on the basis of a upgrading to a good modelling airbrush along with the badger which is great for what I needed it for.

Online NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:48:46 am »
I think for people wanting to learn airbrushing you have a couple of options; get someone to teach you, or do as I have done and watch endless videos on youtube and have a go, buy several airbrushes and make your own decision. Actually having more than one one airbrush can be a benefit if you need a couple of colours at the same time.

This is good advice.

I know it's an unpopular opinion here, but a cheap -- if decent -- airbrush is better than no airbrush. I was on a budget, bought an all-in-one kit from Amazon with a generic airbrush and compressor for around £60. Gravity fed paint holder, double action design. The standard Chinese knock-off one. Honestly, it's fine for basic work. Resprays are easily doable with some practise, and weathering is a doddle.

I'm sure the better brushes are smoother and offer more features. But a generic Chinese airbrush does a lot more than paint brushes, so worth the modest investment.

It's the practise and acquisition of skills that makes the biggest different, IMHO.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline jrb

• Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:10 am »
I was in the same position a couple of years ago, and bought a cheap compressor off eBay that came with 2 even cheaper airbrushes - got the lot for about £65, though I've just had a look now and the prices seem to have jumped up, and similar now is around £100 (though the compressor on it's own is around £80).

The compressor is absolutely fantastic - it's got the 3 litre tank so you don't have it chugging away constantly (though it is surprisingly very quiet) and you don't get any pulsing, either. I'd say it was well worth the cost all on it's own, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Neither of the airbrushes that came with it I've ever used more than once (one bottom feed, one side feed). I bought 2 more - a top feed one from China for about £20, and a slightly better quality 'Spraycraft' SP50K which is bottom feed.

I've used both of those quite a bit, but personally I much prefer the top-feed arrangement. I've been using it a lot more recently, and it's shortcomings are just begining to show. I'm now thinking of replacing it with an Iwata Neo.

My advice to the OP would be 3-fold:

1. Buy a cheap compressor, with a tank, off eBay/Amazon. They are well worth the money.

2. Buy a cheap dual-action airbrush from same. Maybe even 2 different style ones. Pay about £20 for it; use it, learn how it works, learn how to strip it down, clean it, and put it back together. And I mean learn how to clean it PROPERLY - it's amazing how much crap there can still be inside an airbrush that looks spotless, and it DOES affect your finish. Try different techniques, there are loads of videos on YouTube (I've recently been watching lots of tutorials about spraying 1/35th scale WWII tanks; not directly relevant to 1/148th scale UK railways, but some of the tricks & techniques are very useful!).

3. Once you've really learnt all the above, and you start to become limited by the airbrush itself rather than your lack of skill with it, THEN spend the money on a better quality one.

Don't be tempted to buy an expensive airbrush straight away; make your mistakes on a cheap on first!

JRB

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 09:58:49 am »
Totally echo Nemo's post, I also bought an all in one kit with two Chinese airbrushes and a compressor. It's been very useful to get some practice. I keep thinking I should get a better one, but it does what I want.

IMO the biggest factor in a good paintjob is the preparation - particularly masking. The best airbrush in the world won't help if your paint's bled between colours. An airbrush will certainly make for far more professional looking finishes though.

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 11:08:48 pm »
I have been into Aldi a couple of times since the reply #3 and been tempted. I called in tonight on my way to work and they still had two left - reduced by a tenner!  :). So I bought one thinking that it is not the end of the world if it and me do not get on.  :worried:. The topic in the Useful Gizmos thread about spray booths was also at the back of my mind, so, having some Amazon vouchers, I have gone and ordered the spray booth and, by using my vouchers, only had to pay just over £7 - well pleased.  :thumbsup:. The point of this post is to ask if any one can recommend a good book on airbrushing for a complete novice. I have had a bit of a search on t'interweb and there are loads  :goggleeyes:. (I will have a look at YouTube later).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:10:06 pm by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline LeftToMyOwnDevices

• N Gauge Society Number: 25806
  • …and left to my own devices... I probably would...
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 12:01:45 am »
The point of this post is to ask if any one can recommend a good book on airbrushing for a complete novice. I have had a bit of a search on t'interweb and there are loads  :goggleeyes:. (I will have a look at YouTube later).

The only book I've bought, so far, is this:
http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781847972651

I must admit that I'm very much a beginner myself...
...however, it has got me started - sort of...

Glad you are getting a Spray Booth. I haven't, but then I only use my airbrush outside, under an open-sided veranda. My first effort was without a suitable or appropriate face mask. Afterwards, I felt as if I had ever-so-slightly 'enamelled my lungs'...  :worried:

I now have what feels like a 'military' style gas mask, with filters on either side. When I used that, I felt much better afterwards - and so did my lungs...! It's what I should have used in the first place. ::)

Good luck with your efforts. :thumbsup:
It has reminded me to get out again; over the past few months, each time it's been too cold, too windy, too hot, etc. :(

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Offline Joker56

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 06:19:38 am »
I've got Neo by Iwata , plus proper Iwata air brushes , Neo works fine but a lot of people have had problems with nozzle either breaking or cross treading whilst being cleaned after use , you will need to take into account how much you will be using the airbrush , if it's going to be a lot of use I suggest that you purchase the best you can afford , one of mine is ten years old but if looked after properly
Can last many years with just some o ring seals needing replacement following normal wear & tear . If I was to recommend an all round sturdy workhorse it would be Iwata HP C plus . I build scale model armour 1/16th & 1/35th scale Hope this helps folks

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 07:30:32 am »
@dannyboy
Im not sure an airbrush book is of much use at all. I have one - acnt re,member what its called but its a general modelling thing and its useless. Much better to watch someone using one. There are a lot of air brush tutorials on Youtube but in terms of airbrushing/weathering for model railways you would do well to beat the Right Track DVD - Weathering Techniques by Tim Shackleton. Unfortunately I think its out of production. You might get a copy at an exhibition. There are others but Tim goes into the airbrush a lot.
cheers
Kirky

Offline Garyf

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 08:06:19 am »
I too recently bought an Aldi airbrush, only had a couple of plays with it on paper to get a feel for it. Get some ready mixed water based acrylic paint to try it out that way you don't have the viscosity to deal with and it is supposedly easier to clean and less fumes. There's a lot of tutorial vids on YouTube, I've been watching some by airbrush asylum which seem pretty good.

Gary

Online NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 09:20:38 am »
@dannyboy
Im not sure an airbrush book is of much use at all. I have one - acnt re,member what its called but its a general modelling thing and its useless. Much better to watch someone using one.

Definitely agree with this, and I'd personally spend the money on extra paint so you can just have a play. Books and videos are all very well, but ultimately you've got to get the feel of your particular airbrush. It's all about how much do you press the button down, how much do you pull it back, and how far forwards or backwards do you position the model to get the paint effect you're after. The size of the needle makes a huge difference, but there's also the optimal position to have the needle in the nozzle once you've cleaned and reassembled the airbrush after use. And all of this is before you've determined the best way to thin paints to get the consistency that works best for your brush and expectations.

Books and videos will all give tips, but at the end of the day every brush is different, so you have to try out different configurations and figure out what's best for you! Definitely worth experimenting with both acrylics and enamels to find out which you prefer and on which materials (plastic, metal and card, for example). Personally, I find enamels easier to use, though lots of people prefer acrylics. Try them both!

Cheers, NeMo

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything