!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A japanese exhibition layout ( Climb to KURAMA )  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Bubule

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
A japanese exhibition layout ( Climb to KURAMA )
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:56:56 pm »
 Hello all !

I start there a topic to show you my new project to build a mini layout oriented to fun with japanese short line theme near Kyoto.

The inspiration come from this FANTASTIC video 😍 of the Eizan line :  I love the end, with the travel betwin the two last stations. The nature is awesome, and the arrival at kurama temples station is very exiting !  WOW

It wil not be a strict prototypical build, but a freelanced inspiration of the atmosphere of the line. The rolling stock will be from Kato of course, with Kirara 900 serie.

I will also use the mobo 101 and 631 from Modemo, because i love these cute cars. 🤗 They are running on Keifuku city railway :

The power will come from a tomytec TCS J.N.R. Series 101 for the best driving experience : I enjoy so much driving models with this amazing power supply ! This item will maximise the contact with the public in exibition because in europe this kind of features are very rare.

So let's go with the plan and the concept :  The aim is to have a small exibition layout (fit in my car), dedicated to the driving experience.

The size is 130cm large and 75 cm deep.  The track is Peco code 55 with mix of Wood ant concreate ties sections like the real line.

In the front at the lower level i have placed a two track station. The first track is connected on both ends to an oval (almost hidden). It's allow me to do continuous run when discussing with public or having a drink without the fear of an accident ( never happened ?😁).

At the end of the station take place a beautifull peco Cisor crossing from Peco track system. It the same switch that the one witch take place at the outside of the Demachiyanagi station.The station will be urban tram station from greenmax. After that there is a grade crossing and just behind the small city. It will be composed with Sankei paper kits : three houses and two restorants.

The second track of the lower station is connected to the line that climbe to Kurama sation on top of the layout 12 cm above the lower level. This line is 5 meter long and the slpoe is betwin 2 and 2.5 % grade. Curves are sharp to respect the Kurama line atmosphere : 20cm radius. It is not a problem because rolling stock admit a 15 cm radius.This part of the layout is used in point to point mode.

At the top the the temple station will be a rural platform from green max and a sankei kit :

On the top of the layout the temple will be the fujimi  Byodoin  with some sankei and tomytec accessories :

So now you know all the project, see you soon for the next chapiter witch will be the bench work.

Best regards.

Jef
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:35:03 am by Bubule »
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Re: A japanese exibition layout ( Climb to KURAMA )
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:13 pm »
Absolutely loving the Temple building! And watching with great interest! Thanks.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:14:03 pm »
The power will come from a tomytec TCS J.N.R. Series 101 for the best driving experience : I enjoy so much driving models with this amazing power supply ! This item will maximise the contact with the public in exibition because in europe this kind of features are very rare.

:laugh3: Me want! :drool:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:24:45 pm »
Wow! And wow again. That is one smashing controller :goggleeyes:
Your layout sounds great and I look forward to seeing it develop.

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:51:36 pm »
 Thanks guys,

The temple is really a great kit, Fujimi makes great quality kit of japanese trditionnal buildings.

The controler is simply ... an amazing thingy. It is working so nice and it's a great fun to drive model train with this. When i first search for this device in 2011 it was a legendary sold out item. So when Tomytec annouced a rerun in 2013 i have imediatly reserve mine and bougth one. The seller in japan have been sold out again ... in one week. :o  Now it is very dificult to find one. It is a collector. :-[

A modeler in france prospose to buy mine 400€ (it was costing 200€).

The pressure gauge is working, with the brake, and the speed indicator is also working with the trottle. It make sound also. A great pleasure to use.

Here is a video to show you how it work :

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:52:55 pm by Bubule »
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:09:27 pm »
Don't forget to get some white gloves, Jef!

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »
Don't forget to get some white gloves, Jef!

:smiley-laughing:
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:56:49 pm »
That is very cool!

Allegedly in stock here, although it appears to be some Japanese marketplace, so possibly not.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 11:58:40 pm »
Having just returned from three weeks in Japan, I'm following this with great interest.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 04:29:03 am »
Great to see your return, Jef - and with a new layout about to be built.

For those who are not familiar with Jef's work, this new layout will be built to a very high standard and a real treat to watch develop.

Webbo

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:38 am »
Couple of questions about the railway video:
1.  What are the small brownish things in the middle of the rails? Seem to be associated with some curves and appear in groups.
2.  What are the two small "pads" next to the left rail of each track?  Detectors?
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:51 am »
Thank's a lot guys !  :-[

Nice for mee to be back to hobby webbo ! :beers:

This new layout is quite challenging, i am a newbie in japanese model railroad ;). But it is a very interrsting place for railroading, and quite nice architechture and scenery to discover.

Nimoz i dont know exactly what are the pads you describe. But in france we had similar pads on some lines, it is use to control the train speeds are ok and it can stop the train in case the engineer drive to fast for limitation of line. Named KVB in france. I supose the pads are also for safety and train detection in japan but not certain about this pupose.

So let's go and start the framework !

For this new layout i wanted to test new technics of building. So i decided to build the bench with a mix of the modular and the L grider ways to build.
The exterior of the frame is made with 21mm pine jointed wood panels. the panels are screwed and glued togever. In the center i have use a grid built like the L-girder frames but ligther because the rigidity is almost given by the exterior frame. All part are cutted with circular saw to have precise dimentions.

This grid gaves me the possibilty to use 10mm plywood risers to trig easily the higth of the subroadbed.

Subroadbed is made with 5mm thick plywood witch is very bendable to fit the slopes of the track. They are cuted with an alternative saw in three pannels at the size of the layout (130cm X 75cm).

Here is the frame :

Here the first Stage, directly screwed in the frame. It will be conciderated by the Zero level :

Here is the second stage. Witch is the intermediate way to clim enough hight to have the first track to track ovepass at the left :

Here is details under the frame :

And the last third stage have been cutted and placed for test. It is not at the correct higth yet, because i need to trig precise higth of lower stage to fit to the bidge and the tunnels portals :

To be continued !

See you soon, best regards.

Jef
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:03:22 am »
Cool construction work  :thumbsup:

I'm loving this already!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:22 am »
Looks great so far. I love Japanese stuff :thumbsup:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:06:18 am »
Bonjour Jef,

Lovely, neat woodworking skills. Very much looking forward to more of your build.

Santé weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here