!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oakford Hills  (Read 2071 times)

Offline oncomin5torm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Oakford Hills
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:57 pm »
Hi all

I have finally settled on a layout design, location for the layout, a name (as above) and today I got all the track and point motors.

Layout design:

The location will be within my bedroom, as space is perfect for it.
1200mm x 850mm

The name came to me randomly, I liked the idea of playing on another word with putting a prominent N in it to denote it being an N gauge layout.
I liked for some reason Odin as in farther of Thor, so I played around with it originally I was going for Nodin and then I thought Nodinson and since its going to have 1 big hill and a smaller one elsewhere, Nodinson Hills was born.

I am modelling late crest BR era 1957-1966 so I have a broad range to choose from, I just find the livery and crest of this era what I like.
Might throw a special train on occasionally for race days in preservation livery, probably one of the big 4.

It will be a DCC layout, once I have my DCC controller, I have decided to go with the NCE Power Cab.

I was intending to intially lay only one loop to keep costs down and then expand when the funds became available. With that I was going to manually switch frog polarity, but I decided to just buy it all in one go and get the point motors at the same time.
This will take longer to lay the initial track but it will be worth it in the end for a better result.

All my track, points, point motors, fish plates and 2 of 3 tracksetta (one is in the post from a facebook seller for the 12" one)

There is only 8 point for motors for 9 points, as 1 point wont be motorised and it wont actually be used its there for an abandoned siding, the top one on the inside loop, it will be well weathered, grasses and such sticking out.

Everything is Code 55 and electrofrog/unifrog.
I am using the new unifrog points for the left and right hand medium radius points, all except one which is classic electrofrog, this is currently on my testing loop which I will swap back in for a straight section of track as I intend to keep it as a running in loop.
These new unifrog points will be fun to use I think, I have never done DCC before and never soldered N gauge track so lots of fun and learning ahead.

Monday Is the day I buy and start construction on the baseboard.
I know a bit backwards getting the track first but a little trip to Hattons shop is easier in my car as its small (Citroen C1), I need to borrow a family members car to get the wood.

I cannot wait to get started and show you guys the progress going forward.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:04:30 pm by oncomin5torm »
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
Let history make it's own judgments.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Nodinson Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:28:12 pm »
Don't rush things. Measure twice, cut once. Ask questions where required and, most of all, good luck and enjoy it!

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:36:57 am »
Don't rush things. Measure twice, cut once. Ask questions where required and, most of all, good luck and enjoy it!
Seconded!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 06:55:34 am »
Thirded! I too went for NCE Power Cab ... though not used it much as track laying has taken some time  :doh:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:45:32 am »
Looking forward to developments.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:06:17 am »
Thirded! I too went for NCE Power Cab ... though not used it much as track laying has taken some time  :doh:

Cheers  :beers:

That's why I've not bought it yet, it'll take me a while to get the track layed and until I get the power cab I'll just go dc with my gaugemaster combi.

Thanks for the interest guys.
I can't wait to get cracking.
It'll take me a long time and that's what I am looking forward to most.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:13:59 am »
Morning,

Glad your excited to get going and looking forward to your build.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS. Thought your layout name was relating to the up and coming Football World Cup although you'd need 'it  :censored:' after Nod  :D. Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 05:22:14 pm »

I'm always excited at a new project

PS. Thought your layout name was relating to the up and coming Football World Cup although you'd need 'it  :censored:' after Nod  :D. Sorry, I'll get me coat.

What is this 'football' you talk of? is it some kind of new locomotive that travels the world?
Not a fan i'm afraid, far from it, sweepstake in work i'll do as I've got a chance of winning some money  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 09:00:49 pm »

What is this 'football' you talk of?

'Tis a game played by 11 people pretending it hurts, as opposed to rugby which is played by 15 people pretending it doesn't hurt (many thanks to Etched Pixels for that one)

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 09:25:58 pm »
Sorry for a further thread hijack here but having played both in my youth I can certainly say that football injuries are far worse than rugby ones.

I know that 'soccer' professionals feign injury which is wrong but just to say that I'd rather have 6 blokes tackling me with their hands than one swinging his leg at mine in the heat of battle.

Yes a lot are overpaid prima donnas but not always.

Sorry, been there, seen it, no T shirt.

Thanks weave.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:30:33 pm by weave »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:11:28 pm »

I'm always excited at a new project

What is this 'football' you talk of? is it some kind of new locomotive that travels the world?
Not a fan i'm afraid, far from it, sweepstake in work i'll do as I've got a chance of winning some money  :smiley-laughing:
Not a new locomotive, an old one, the LNER B17 CLASS,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_B17

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 03:34:32 pm »
The timber and ply has been purchased.

Due to an impromtue visit to the moving picture house to see some Jurassic creatures no construction has taken place.
I did manage to buy some copydex to stick the track down when I come to lay it.

Plus my dropper and bus wire has arrived, along with the Scot blocks for easy droppers.

I'll probably in the interim hour I have free before work most mornings solder some wires onto my point motors.
I'm going to follow the same idea I did last time which was to do short wires to a terminal block and then I only need to screw the actual wires from the switch and point into the terminal block
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 03:41:18 pm by oncomin5torm »

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 06:05:43 pm »
Update time.
Last week was track buying and discovering how to use these new unifrog points (simpler than I thought apparently)

The baseboard has been built, it is just requiring legs, ran out of time and energy for that today.

The baseboard is made from 9mm ply on a softwood frame of 20.5mm by 44mm. (1 by 2 in old money close enough anyway)
The legs will be made from 38mm by 63mm timber, a job for another day though.

The last photo shows the drilled out holes ready for the bus wires to go through, well big enough for more than a few 32/0.2mm gauge wire to go though.

Where the board is propped up against is where it will be living.

I am eventually going to go DCC with this layout, for now it will be wired for DCC but only using DC controller. This is mainly because I only own 1 loco currently, it will be a toss up between a new loco and getting the DCC controller when I am ready to do that.
I'll be weeks away from running trains tbh anyway.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:07:45 pm by oncomin5torm »

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:23:31 pm »
The Legs are on, it is also in its position

It can be moved out when needed to get to wiring at the back, when it comes time to do that.

I'm going to use it as a work bench for soldering droppers to track before I actually lay any track on it.
 :NGaugersRule:

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 09:59:35 pm »
Spent some quality time today with my railway.
Drilling holes for droppers, point motor rods and actually laying a bit of track, not glued down just yet but in place enough to run a test loco across what is down.

Bus wires installed, I have left enough slack for attaching droppers and put the ends into 2 separate terminal blocks for now until I get my DCC controller and know where I am connecting up to.

Droppers atatched to the unifrog point, had to strip back a couple of sleepers but not much of an issue, can still connect up with rail joiners no problem, i'll find a way to blend them in with spare sleepers when I get to gluing track.

I have 3 points installed, but not permanently fixed down, and one straight of track for a siding.
Due to how close the sidings turned out to be next to the outer loop I am going to adjust where the curve starts so I can make sure the engine shed isnt in the way of coaches turning on the bend.
If i start it 1 or 2cm further in I should not have any issues, that or i'll curve the siding slightly and then straighten up enough to allow for the two road engine shed.

I did a patch job to test the track I have laid and it works beautifully, my loco had no issue with the points and no loss of power over the unifrog points at all.
Once I have the track all down I will see how I do with the frog polarity switching from the PM-1 motors.

Until the next update, keep watching the railways.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything