!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills update  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills update
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2018, 02:27:12 pm »
This livery will be difficult for Colin as he sprays his models and masking for painting is far more complicated and expensive.

My plan is to paint my own to my standards with nameplates and extra fittings etc.

Online ten0G

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2018, 02:50:25 pm »

My plan is to paint my own to my standards with nameplates and extra fittings etc.
Does Colin supply unpainted models? 

I think GWR green in the earlier part of the 20th Century was different from their later mid-chrome, and BR Brunswick, so I can see there could be extra issues. 

However, when she was restored in '57 to her original livery, that does cover two separate periods so I would have thought there is some potential there. 

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 08:37:39 pm »
What livery did it carry circa the 1904 speed record?

Was it this:
http://everythinggwr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/3717.jpg

Not sure about the shade of green but the Indian red frame seems to be correct for 1904. Black frame came afterwards.

See http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1900.html
and http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries.html for later liveries - the above Wikimedia photo (as no. 3717 at Didcot) is shown as an example for the 190634 loco livery.

I am also hoping for a CoT in "world record" colours! :heart2:

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
Does Colin supply unpainted models? 

I've certainly had unpainted ones from him, you just need to let him know early on so he can put one aside before they reach the paint shop.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 09:06:12 pm »
I agree with Snowwolflair - I don't see the 1904 livery (with all that complex lining,) matching the Union Mills zeitgeist, so unlikely as a 'factory' release.

Though I fancy testing myself on the renumbering/detailing of one. A project for the winter nights maybe.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2018, 11:21:09 pm »
Would it be possible to have the fancy striping etc done as a some sort of sticker we could apply ourselves? Perhaps the chap that does the ones for the sides of coaches/ dmu;s could do this ?

Craig

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2018, 10:21:09 am »
Would it be possible to have the fancy striping etc done as a some sort of sticker we could apply ourselves? Perhaps the chap that does the ones for the sides of coaches/ dmu;s could do this ?

All the elements needed are available from Fox Transfers.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 12:45:21 am »

All the elements needed are available from Fox Transfers.

This seems to be true only for the black framed version numbered 3717, the livery as returned to service in 1957 was the earlier green with Indian red frames GWR in scroll form and double lining numbered 3440. only the scroll is available as far as I can see on the Fox transfer website

Regards,

Alex

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:38 am »
This seems to be true only for the black framed version numbered 3717, the livery as returned to service in 1957 was the earlier green with Indian red frames GWR in scroll form and double lining numbered 3440. only the scroll is available as far as I can see on the Fox transfer website
Sometimes you need to think outside of the box. You can use the BR orange/black/orange lining:

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/general-orange-black-orange-lining-58203

There may be a incorrect black line in the middle but on a darkish green loco in N you really aren't going to notice.
IIRC Modelmaster also offered orange lining.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 10:36:08 am »
In other Union Mills news, there are no T9 4-4-0s to be ordered until next year. Colin isn't planning on making up a fresh batch until after Christmas.

So my K10 and L11 hacking projects have been delayed, not to mention the tender swap for my S15 and adding decent-sized bogie wheels to my 4P-to-2P Farish hacks. That'll teach me to leave it so long before trying to place an order!

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 01:15:58 pm »
T9 would not be much use for K10 nor L11, tender OK for the K10 but most if not all L11s had watercarts, both had 5'7" drivers T9 has 6'7"; K10 wheel spacing 9', L11, 10', T9 10'. For an L11 you could hack a T9 by cutting off everything above the footplate except the cab then making a boiler from brass tube , splashers from brass or plastic. This is mine, loco  body all brass, tender hacked from Langley S15 watercart with UM drive, (built before the UM T9 came out)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:17:55 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »
...K10... had 5'7" drivers T9 has 6'7"
...K10 wheel spacing 9', T9 10'....

But given how much of a compromise N gauge is anyway, are we really going to quibble about a scale two millimetres...?

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 03:42:48 pm »
...K10... had 5'7" drivers T9 has 6'7"
...K10 wheel spacing 9', T9 10'....

But given how much of a compromise N gauge is anyway, are we really going to quibble about a scale two millimetres...?
A lot depends where that 2mm is, I would suggest 2mm (1') difference in wheel diameter (5'7" v 6'7") does matter it's about 18% nearly 1/5th, whereas 2mm difference in wheel spacing 9' as against 10' is about 10%.

If that wheel spacing is on a 6 coupled loco then in most cases the spacing between front and centre and between centre and rear are often different in which case the difference between say 7'+7' and 7'+8' is glaringly obvious.

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here