!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Growling Duchess  (Read 599 times)

Online Bramshot

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Growling Duchess
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
Those screwdriver sets are essential, but you need the tiniest of Phillips head or cross head. I have bought several sets but only one had a small enough one. You wonít need the others! Itís a good idea to magnetise it so the screws hold in place on the driver when replacing them.
A multimeter is also a good buy, also can be very cheap, youíll find one in any of the diy stores or Maplins ((if still open), or local electronics type shop, or of course the internet.  You want one which as a minimum has continuity test, ac and dc bolts up to about 20V. Most, even the cheapest will have these and more.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 05:52:05 pm »
Take a look at this thread, it may help

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27538.msg300837#msg300837

Regards,

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I've read the above and think it's probably the most likely explanation. 

However, on close examination, there is evidence of rubbing on the righthand side from the screw retaining the bogie, and at the other end the righthand screw to retain the body is missing!  Has a previous owner had a go at this before? 

As I have no means of removing the other screw, I don't know how long it is, can you remember please?  I am unable to say it was present all the time, but would like to reassure myself it's not so small I wouldn't notice it on the table. 

Do you think that the motor is only fully secure when the body is held firmly in place? 

Dick. 

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 06:25:37 pm »
It is now 3 years since I took mine apart, so I don't remember how long the 2 screws at the cab end are, but I am sure a call to Bachman will provide a spare, I did the same when taking the tender body off mine ended with the tender ladder departing into the stratosphere never to be found, and a call to them saw the replacement arrive in a couple of days.

Regards,

Alex

Online Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 07:55:05 pm »
I'm a complete newbie since November an all my locos are used. I have had some make horrible noises, jerk and yes, growl. I've found a good service does seem to cure this. Growling, in my opinion can come from the motor bearings and a tiny drop of oil on a pin can do a great deal to help. Also the commutator can be very dirty - I use IPA alcohol on a small still brush. Certainly has helped my noisy locos.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:20 am »
It is now 3 years since I took mine apart, so I don't remember how long the 2 screws at the cab end are, but I am sure a call to Bachman will provide a spare, I did the same when taking the tender body off mine ended with the tender ladder departing into the stratosphere never to be found, and a call to them saw the replacement arrive in a couple of days.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks Alex,

That's worth a try, once I have a screwdriver!  The rellies didn't have one small enough so I ordered a set yesterday which won't arrive until tomorrow, the last day of the  return period. 

Once I can remove her body, I'll have a clearer idea of the problem and decide accordingly. 

Dick. 

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:42 am »
Those screwdriver sets are essential, but you need the tiniest of Phillips head or cross head. I have bought several sets but only one had a small enough one. You wonít need the others! Itís a good idea to magnetise it so the screws hold in place on the driver when replacing them.
A multimeter is also a good buy, also can be very cheap, youíll find one in any of the diy stores or Maplins ((if still open), or local electronics type shop, or of course the internet.  You want one which as a minimum has continuity test, ac and dc bolts up to about 20V. Most, even the cheapest will have these and more.

A screwdriver set is on it's way.  I'm not sure I understand electrickery that well, but I'll add a multimeter to my list, thanks. 

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 12:55:41 pm »
Hi All,

Apologies for the delay in getting on with this due to more pressing issues. 

Well, the screwdriver set arrived and I was able to remove the body.  The size of the remaining footplate screw suggested that I would have noticed if it had dropped out during running, and indeed there was no sign of one in the vacuum cleaner contents. 

The tender body was removed and the position of the chip was adjusted as it was found to be askew.  Iíve never seen a chip in a Farish loco before, I assume this is for blanking purposes only. 

A borrowed multimeter showed no interruption of current between loco and tender no matter how much I moved the tender about. 

In reverse, there seems to be no problem.  In forward however, the worm seems to disengage.  It seems, and sounds, very similar to this description:

My motor seems to be lifting at the worm end, it digs down in reverse biting against the cogs, but in forward lifts off the cogs and makes a terrible din.

I will give the bracket a close inspection as Bramshot suggests, but it wonít be any time soon.  I will post again if anything significant comes to light. 

Thanks for helping, All. 

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 02:18:41 pm »
try placing a bit of insulating tape over the motor to hold it down

Regards,

Alex

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »
Glad itís not just me... Iíll try the tape, thanks for that.

Cheers, timmo
Thereís the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here