!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR Rail Junction - Converting to N Scale  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
GWR Rail Junction - Converting to N Scale
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:15:25 pm »
My layout plan is based on a real GWR rail junction. If users can identify the junction I've achieved at least 50% of my objective. It will require some tweating, and my mainline return loop must still be aligned to close a gap and more closely aligned with the outer loop. No doubt experienced modelers will see other errors, and I welcome comments.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: GWR Rail Junction - Converting to N Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 09:28:47 pm »
Leon - you have 3 sets of sidings with reverse 'S' curves owing to the arrangement of the points. May I suggest you alter them like these which will give better running and longer sidings. Ignore them being set track - they are for design only...........

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 10:54:00 pm »
Leon - you have 3 sets of sidings with reverse 'S' curves owing to the arrangement of the points. May I suggest you alter them like these which will give better running and longer sidings. Ignore them being set track - they are for design only...........

Thanks for the tip, and I think I can make that modification. It looks so simple, why did I not see it myself. I've made dozens of alterations since I started the plan, and I'm prepared to make any number more. So, I hope there will be more suggestions. You didn't identify the location of the junction? I've had no other responses, so I'm waiting another day to reveal the location and the considerations that brought me to this point.

Leon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 10:01:40 am »
You didn't identify the location of the junction? I've had no other responses, so I'm waiting another day to reveal the location and the considerations that brought me to this point.

Leon

Sorry, but I lived all my life in the Midlands and now up 'ere. My knowledge of the WR is limited to trainspotting trips to Oxford and DVDs. I don't recognise it at all but hope someone does.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:33:26 am »
It feels like it should be Par or possibly Lostwithiel, but I don't think it is. If its in Wales, I dont have a clue.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:39 am »
I'm still experiencing difficulty using the Forum. I'm a longtime computer user, but age has slowed down the cognitive function, somewhat - one of my reasons for undertaking a new project. I tried to add a new image of my layout (with identification) to My Gallery, but it's not there!

I have adjusted my sidings per the suggestion of Newportnobby, but am not altogether happy with the result. The track spacing doesn't seem right. I'm at a disadvantage, having not even seen a real layout for many years, and I've never seen an N layout. Until I've actually set up some track and placed some locomotives and rolling stock on them, I don't think I can do much more in the way of planning. Mathematics isn't my strong suit and I don't find it easy to comprehend track geometry. In any event, when attempting to re-recreate an actual rail system, in a very limited space, one has to make compromises that sometimes don't provide for optimum configurations.

My fascination with steam locomotion began in 1962 when I was posted with the US Air Force to an RAF station outside Edinburgh. I was fortunate to make a few rail trips on trains pulled by steam locomotives, and experienced a pullman on the London-Edinburgh route and the busy Swindon rail centre. I've also visited York and Swindon Rail museums. After a recent conversation with my son, who lives in Bath, I decided to undertake my N Scale project.

I used Google Maps and zoomed down to identify railways in the Great Western region. Finding a junction that provided a mainline that bypassed the station and local goods and passenger services, I began studying the history of the station and the town. I've viewed many photographs of the station past and present, and watched several YouTube videos of present day activity around the station. After buying AnyRail, I began experimenting to see if an 8' x 4' board could accommodate an interpretation of such an extensive operation. At this point, I believe I've achieved a reasonably  acceptable representation of the junction. A rectangular plan can't capture an multi-station connection, but I'm attempting to provide that impression in my plan.

I may not live to see the completion of my layout, but in my mind I've already seen the trains running! While there may be technical issues that should be addressed (and I'm willing to make changes), it does work. The trains go where they need to go, and there is appropriate access to the main station from every direction. My only concern is with the multiple sections and the large number of points required to make it all work. I'll never do DCC, so it's a challenge for DC, but will satisfy my needs and keep me busy for as long as my health permits. Like most people, I do have another life! :) I've been an art collector/dealer for most of my life and am extensively engaged in genealogy since my retirement in 1998.

I'll eventually post the updated layout image here, which will identify the location. Thanks for all who view, and especially those who make suggestions for improvement.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 11:43:01 am »
I was going to siggest Par or maybe Bodmin Road?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:09 am »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 11:53:32 am »
Ah, so Westbury and Trowbridge.
I should have guessed. I was brought up in Trowbridge and did lots of spotting both there and Westbury.
Black Bridge, just west of Trowbridge was our favourite spotting location.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 12:52:48 pm »

I have adjusted my sidings per the suggestion of Newportnobby, but am not altogether happy with the result. The track spacing doesn't seem right.

Providing the same track and same size points are being used I can't imagine why the track spacing has turned out like that. I think it must just be an interpretation of flexitrack as it's only the last siding of the fan that is 'out' :hmmm:

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 02:25:34 pm »
I may be mis-reading the plan but I'm puzzled by what's going on in the bottom left corner.

The scissors crossing at A must be at the same level as the outer main tracks at B. And those main tracks must still be at that level at C. So how is the line to Dilton Marsh Halt getting over the main tracks which is what your plan seems to be suggesting?

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 02:37:01 pm »
I was wondering about that also, assuming it's a flyover it would be an impossibly
steep gradient , as well as being on a short curve... ???

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 04:53:26 pm »
I plan to visit Westbury next week, so I'll be able to tell you more soon. The lines are clearly as depicted when viewed in Google Earth. The Salisbury line crosses the Weymouth line. I wondered, too, because the London - Weymouth line was built on an embankment, presumably because of the ponds that lie along the route. And, the lines through the station are elevated above the ticket office, requiring a subway entrance to the platforms. So, obviously, the through line must begin descending before the Salisbury line. The topography above the station rises gradually, and it may be that the Salisbury line ascends slightly, also. Simulating elevation changes in the layout space I have is a challenge, but with one line rising gradually while the other descends, gradually, hopefully there will be a workable solution. I'm more concerned about the curve! Any ideas?

Thanks for the observations, and I really appreciate the comments and questions.

Leon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 04:59:01 pm »
Sorry if maybe I've missed it somewhere in your posts, Leon, but do you have a track system in mind and have you used it on the plan? The only way I see that curve to Dilton Marsh Halt working is maybe with Kato tram track curves :hmmm:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »
As a slight aside, the USAF were at RAF Kirknewton just outside Edinburgh, although they flew into RAF Turnhouse which closed in 1997.  However most of RAF Turnhouse started becoming Edinburgh airport from 1957.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here