!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 'B17' 2857 'Doncaster Rovers'  (Read 316 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Dapol 'B17' 2857 'Doncaster Rovers'
« on: May 25, 2018, 09:58:10 am »
Hello Chums

About 10 years ago I had my third effort at British 'N' gauge.  This quickly turned into US 'N' scale because of a few bad experiences.  One of the worst, probably the worst, was with a lovely present I received.  Dapol set ND-079 Set 1.  Doncaster Rovers and three teak coaches.  The coaches are excellent and feature in many of the photographs of the Table-Top Railway which I have inflicted upon you.  But the 'B17'?  It's an absolute stinker.  Unbelievably noisy and the tender sides get hot.  The noises it makes are unputupable; as it goes faster it sounds in even more agony!

It's a fine-looking locomotive and I have tried to make it better.  To no avail.  At least I have not made it worse.  But I have a cunning and subtle plan...

Behind the 'B17' is a spare Union Mills LNER Group Standard tender which runs sweet as can be.  It came with my first Union Mills 'B12/3'.  My second one had the GE Section tender that was introduced with the 'D16/3'.  I liked this so much that I ordered a spare so that both 'B12/3s' looked the same.

I'm wondering about bashing things about a bit to see if the Dapol locomotive will run with the Union Mills tender.

But before I attempt this; would anyone like the 'B17' as it is?  I know little about Dapol engines and it might be a model which is no longer available and be just the thing to add to someone's layout.  And, just because I have not got it running well, doesn't mean that one of the Dapol experts here will be similarly defeated.

Many thanks for looking and best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:54:15 pm by Train Waiting, Reason: Corrected silly error. »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 'B17' 2857 'Doncaster Rovers'
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:08:49 pm »
But before I attempt this; would anyone like the 'B17' as it is?  I know little about Dapol engines and it might be a model which is no longer available and be just the thing to add to someone's layout.  And, just because I have not got it running well, doesn't mean that one of the Dapol experts here will be similarly defeated.

This should be pretty simple to put right - they can run very nicely - maybe a little noisy, but that's often just amplified by the plastic tender top rather than being an inherent problem.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 'B17' 2857 'Doncaster Rovers'
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:58:43 pm »

This should be pretty simple to put right - they can run very nicely - maybe a little noisy, but that's often just amplified by the plastic tender top rather than being an inherent problem.

Cheers,
Alan

Many thanks for this, Alan.

This particular locomotive certainly does not run well and never has. 

I'm much encouraged to hear that it might not need my proposed rather drastic solution to sort it out.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything