!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First N Gauge wagon kit (partial)  (Read 350 times)

Online oncomin5torm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
First N Gauge wagon kit (partial)
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:58 pm »
I got my first N gauge wagon kit today.

It is the Peco KN-R8.
I actually got it already built but it needs painting.
Couplings fully intact as well.

Other than that it was an absolute bargain at 3.50
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
Let history make it's own judgments.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: First N Gauge wagon kit (partial)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:10:05 pm »
I think the Peco wagon kits are excellent value for money. I have made up a number of of the 4 wheel tankers and some fish vans (?).  If you feel that a bit more weight is needed, I can recommend 'Liquid Gravity'. As I mentioned in a previous post - you are getting hooked!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Online oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:13:26 pm »
I think the Peco wagon kits are excellent value for money. I have made up a number of of the 4 wheel tankers and some fish vans (?).  If you feel that a bit more weight is needed, I can recommend 'Liquid Gravity'. As I mentioned in a previous post - you are getting hooked!  :)

The second I walked out of Hattons with my new buys under my arm I was hooked.
It already has a weight inside it, I took the roof off to see how easy it would come off and low and behold a weight :)

I'm off to an exhibition in Manchester on Saturday and I may find some bargains there, If not I don't mind.
As an avid photographer (learning video so be gentile haha) I will take lots of photos.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:24:47 pm »
Yes! These are excellent kits and very good value for money. Does anyone know of a source of transfers for N gauge wagons?

I have found one small issue with these Peco kits - The couplings tend to hang down if unhooked and there's a spike on the bottom of the couplings that's designed to engage a decoupling ramp. I've found that this spike can engage on point frogs when wagons are pushed forwards.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51:57 am »
The 10 & 15 ft wheelbase 'kits' are basically a CKD version of the Ready to Run PECO wagons.

I have found one small issue with these Peco kits - The couplings tend to hang down if unhooked and there's a spike on the bottom of the couplings that's designed to engage a decoupling ramp. I've found that this spike can engage on point frogs when wagons are pushed forwards.
That is usually an indication of poor assembly - The body is not properly seated on the chassis. Most commonly this is caused by either it simply being loose (nuts not tightened fully) or flash on the chassis not cleaned off preventing the body sitting properly...

Online oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:24 am »
Thanks for the reply guys.

Just wondering what colours you recommend?
I am modelling post nationalisation so grey all over?
I know a mix of livery in the early days would have happened a lot but for the most part I would like to stay accurate.

So that's a dark grey roof with a lighter grey body.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:47:25 am »
Just wondering what colours you recommend?

I recommend working from prototype photographs. Here's an  excellent collection

Mike
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:29:23 am by maridunian »

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:55:35 am »
The 10 & 15 ft wheelbase 'kits' are basically a CKD version of the Ready to Run PECO wagons.

That is usually an indication of poor assembly - The body is not properly seated on the chassis. Most commonly this is caused by either it simply being loose (nuts not tightened fully) or flash on the chassis not cleaned off preventing the body sitting properly...

Also you have to remember to insert the little plug into the coupling socket (it's a little rectangular piece with another sticky out rectangle on it). This holds the coupling up straight.

Offline PLD

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 10:05:57 am »

Also you have to remember to insert the little plug into the coupling socket (it's a little rectangular piece with another sticky out rectangle on it). This holds the coupling up straight.
True for the 9ft chassis and where chassis is supplied as a separate item with other manufacturers kits (e.g. N Gauge Society); but for the 10 & 15ft PECO kits the retaining block is moulded as part of the body hence the need for the body to be properly fitted to the chassis...

Offline twinklekev

• N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 02:36:56 pm »
With respect to transfers; Fox do a good range as do Modelmaster so both are worth a look. Also give Cambridge Custom Transfers a look as well.

Kevin.

Offline VINCEW

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:51:55 pm »
For wagon decals also try Robbies Rolling Stock. The majority are sized for the Peco kits. Although they are P.O wagons they could always be heavily weathered if you want something later.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 10:46:49 pm »
Thanks guys. Yes! I do insert something to stop the couplings dropping - it was a bit baffling why we were derailing until I spotted this.
Got a bit of a problem with wagons derailing on points, particularly when pushed. It does look as though they need some extra weight to keep them on track or it may be something to do with gauge but the Peco wheels are set and can't be adjusted.

Offline PLD

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 12:45:55 am »
Provided the original supplied /fitted weight is in place, PECO wagons whether RTR or Kit built, should NOT need any extra weight adding.

If a PECO wagon with its original PECO wheetsets details on PECO points there are only three likely causes.
1: The wheels aren't properly fitted (do they spin freely if you lift it off the track?)
2: Poorly laid track (kinks, bumps, mis-aligned joints on the approach)
3: Excessive speed.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 10:11:07 pm »
Track is good and very carefully leveled but I notice wagons lifting as they cross the frog, particularly when pushed. curiously its the electrofrogs they don't seem to care for - the insulfrogs in sidings no problem????
I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the couplings pushing against one another or maybe the check rail needs to be tighter; I've seen it suggested to add a slip of very thin plasticard to keep the wheels from climbing the frog.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:15:24 pm by Old Crow »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything