!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Gauge (BR) W Irons Etch  (Read 344 times)

Offline bigP

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
N Gauge (BR) W Irons Etch
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:38:36 am »
Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody knows of an etch for BR W Irons available anywhere for N gauge?  Individually or as part of a kit?  Looking to do some PGAs y'see.
Have seen the 2mm SA ones but not sure if they'll fit Farish axles.

Any tips appreciated

Regards,
Paul

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: N Gauge (BR) W Irons Etch
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »
Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody knows of an etch for BR W Irons available anywhere for N gauge?  Individually or as part of a kit?  Looking to do some PGAs y'see.
Have seen the 2mm SA ones but not sure if they'll fit Farish axles.

Any tips appreciated

Regards,
Paul

Hi

I'm not aware of any.

The 2mm SA W Iron etch will not fit the Farish axles but you can buy the 2-047 Axles to convert Farish RP25 wheels to Association Standard pinpoints on 12.25mm axles or 2-027 N Gauge profile 6mm wagon 3 hole disc wheelsets on 12.25mm Association standard axles if you are a member.

Cheers

Paul

Offline bigP

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:26:33 pm »
Hi Paul,

I was afraid that might be the case.  It's becoming harder to get the little bits for N these days.

I'm assuming the issue is axle diameter - Farish at 1.5mm and 2mmSA standard at 1.0mm?

The 2-047 axles to convert Farish are out of production it would seem, so that'll be a non-starter I'd reckon.  I could try some 2mm wheelsets I suppose, but I'm afraid they won't run my hybrid N/2mm pointwork at all well.

Could look into my own etch I suppose.

Thanks,
Paul

Online PaulCheffus

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:34:55 pm »
Hi

The issue is the axle length rather than the diameter. The 2mm SA axle standard is 12.25mm, Farish tend to be 14.8mm upwards (I think).

The wheels 2-027 are N gauge ones on 2mm SA axles and run fine on N gauge track as this is what I use.

Image below shows these wheels

I'd forgotten the axles were temporarily out of stock.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:36:47 pm by PaulCheffus »

Offline bigP

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
Thanks Paul,

Just ordered a few 2mm Sa bits and pieces for some try outs.  I hope they resume the conversion axles as it would be a lot cheaper to re-axle existing wheels than those N wheels on 2mm axles @ 2.20 per axle!

That said, maybe my best option is just to make my own W-Iron etch, specifically for N axles.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 03:24:45 pm »
It may be possible to slice the 2SA W irons down the middle allowing them to be placed a little further appart. You've have to take care to make sure that they're still parallel otherwise your wagon may crab down the track.

Do the 2SA top hat bearings suit the Farish axles or will you need to track down some from BHE or Parkside?

Steven B.

Online PaulCheffus

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:41 pm »
Do the 2SA top hat bearings suit the Farish axles or will you need to track down some from BHE or Parkside?

Hi

They work fine.

I have built a couple of the replacement chassis for the Dapol grain wagon using the Farish axles. You get the choice to build as either 12.25mm or 14.8mm between W Irons.

Cheers

Paul

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything