!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Carrow Lane - Available for Exhibitions  (Read 755 times)

Offline midsummerend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Big Passion For A Small Scale
    • Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
Carrow Lane - Available for Exhibitions
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:06:34 pm »
Time has come for me to start to replace Midsummer End with another high quality layout of a similar standard instead of another "table top" layout.  As such I have come up with the idea of "Carrow Lane".  Based around the late 1950s/early 1960s, Carrow Lane is set on the outskirts of Norwich deep in Great Eastern territory.  As such there is an interesting array of traction from early Diesels to B1's and Britannia's on the steam front.  Traffic includes freight and passenger with the design including the factory sidings of the Colmans Factory (ficitional take on the factory).  Construction started at the very end of April with it's first exhibition now booked for 2nd June - the same 5 weeks that Midsummer End had for it's construction!

Lessons from Midsummer End's construction have been learnt and as such streamline points have been used from the outset in the yard.  the layout is 4ft x 1.5ft scenic with a 4ft x 2ft fiddle yard behind creating a full loop on the line.

A few photos of it's construction are included below, and yet again it is DCC controlled and will include sound as well (eventually!) as and when time permits to add sound to the various steam locos I have operating.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed, but I hope it will go down well on the scene as and when it starts to get invites.

Best Wishes

Steven

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Carrow Lane - Available for Exhibitions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »
That looks great, along with a Brucie bonus I have many of those locos myself. The Farish B1 is a superb model IMO.

Offline tcinbg

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:23:19 am »
Very atmospheric display, lovely portrayal of Colmans. My only question is, shouldn't the aircraft be a Jaguar 4 ship, or at least one, not some indiscriminate Amercan type?  :D

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:27:16 am »
Very atmospheric display, lovely portrayal of Colmans. My only question is, shouldn't the aircraft be a Jaguar 4 ship, or at least one, not some indiscriminate Amercan type?  :D

The American plane is quite apt with the American base nearby anyway...  but I do have a raf jet to swap put at some point too once it's been built

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:33:30 am »
The layout's era is too early for Jags.  More appropriate choices would be Javelins, Lightnings or Whirlwinds (SAR), which were all based at Coltishall in that time frame.

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 12:15:45 pm »
I have a lightning kit to build but for now the A3-d will do as these where new in 1960

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:55:34 pm »
As my first exhibition with Carrow Lane gets ever closer, I have been getting work completed.  I even did a promotional video in the sun on Sunday.  Work left to do is point motors in the fiddle yard and then finishing the outside presentation with a coat of varnish.  Otherwise the scenic area is ready to go to exhibition, albeit I have a plan to add a few more bits of detailing such as speed signs when they arrive.

Have a look at the video I put together here.

Some recent photos for you to enjoy:

If you want to see the layout then it will be displaying at the following shows this year (with others to be booked for 2019 and beyond)

Felixstowe N Gauge Show 2nd June
Frinton Model Exhibition 14th July
Bressingham Steam Museum Model Show 2nd September
Wensum Valley Model Exhibition 17th November

If you want the layout at your show, pm me or email drs66407@gmail.com

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:01:04 pm »
I'll see you at Felixstowe where I'll be exhibiting-with Stuart- Grid078-another Great Eastern area layout, Saneham Tey', based on Marks Tey.

Not yet sure if we will be in 1960 or 1980 mode.

Martyn

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:08 pm »
Lightenings are appropriate since they were at Colt 1960 to 1974.
You could of course fly spitfires and hurricanes, but not  the Lancaster which the battle of Britain memorial  flight  got in 1973.  Sadly the BBMF left Coltishall for Coningsby in 1976 just before I arrived at Colt early 77.

I'm not sure of your modelled date, but RAF Horsham St Faith ( now Norwich airport)  was still open till 1963, so again that gives javelins,  and whirlwinds.

Saying that any  aircraft  in service at the time could be used even American ones. Visits by odd aircraft from other bases were quite common . I remember a Swedish Saab viggen being at RAF Coningsby, in the 1990s . So any NATO countries aircraft could appear.

As for the layout, nice modelling, although the nearest tunnel at the time was Cromer. There was a proposal for a railway tunnel under Norwich, though I can't remember the details.it would have been easy to do as Norwich is on chalk..

An odd question although rule 1applies. Were Colmans wagons exempt pooling/ nationalisation? Were they still in use after 1947 for Colmans use only?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:45 pm »
Lovely layout, especially the Colman's private sidings, brings back memories of my time living in the area.  :thumbsup:

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 07:45:28 pm »
Lightenings are appropriate since they were at Colt 1960 to 1974.
You could of course fly spitfires and hurricanes, but not  the Lancaster which the battle of Britain memorial  flight  got in 1973.  Sadly the BBMF left Coltishall for Coningsby in 1976 just before I arrived at Colt early 77.

I'm not sure of your modelled date, but RAF Horsham St Faith ( now Norwich airport)  was still open till 1963, so again that gives javelins,  and whirlwinds.

Saying that any  aircraft  in service at the time could be used even American ones. Visits by odd aircraft from other bases were quite common . I remember a Swedish Saab viggen being at RAF Coningsby, in the 1990s . So any NATO countries aircraft could appear.

As for the layout, nice modelling, although the nearest tunnel at the time was Cromer. There was a proposal for a railway tunnel under Norwich, though I can't remember the details.it would have been easy to do as Norwich is on chalk..

An odd question although rule 1applies. Were Colmans wagons exempt pooling/ nationalisation? Were they still in use after 1947 for Colmans use only?

My understanding is that colmans wagons did last beyond nationalisation but only until mid to late 1950s. However I haven't found an exact date.

In terms of the Aircraft I've gone for a US Navy Skywarrior as they had just entered service. It would have been flying in for a carrier in the North Sea to RAF Lakenheath or similar in the area.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:50:49 pm »
Smashing vid :claphappy:

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 10:07:37 pm »
Smashing vid :claphappy:

Thanks. I'll try and get some videos at felixstowe.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 06:48:55 am »
Thatís a lovely layout.
Good luck with the shows.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:16 pm »
So our first Exhibition has been  and gone and I'm about to put together an article on the layout for a journal or other however a report is needed here first.

Running wise the layout did well with no issues beyond operator errors. Smooth running was had and some fantastic comments from visitors and fellow modellers. The layout certainly looked the part at the show in my view.

We have a couple more shows booked for the layout including Arundel 16th June. Frinton in July and Bressingham in September.

A few photos and videos from felixstowe now follow for your enjoyment.

Thanks

Steven

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here