!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sailing  (Read 544 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Sailing
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:52:07 am »
Now my other main Hobby is sailing, So I thought I'd start this thread, so those with a similar affliction can view /take part / advise others of major events they may take part in.

At the moment My summer sail is being rebuilt (by me). However I still carry out duties for our various major events and the next one is..

THE 3 RIVERS RACE

On Jun 2/3rd This is The Big race of the year. The third toughest mass participation competion event in the UK, and one of the longest inland river sailing races in the world.

The 3 Rivers Race, is almost upon us, entries have closed and the competitors should get their entry packs in the next few days.

First start at Horning Sailing club 11:00 2nd June 2018, about 10 boats in a start at 5 minute intervals last start around 12:30, roughly 100 boats expected to start.

You have 24 hours to complete 54 miles of sailing under 3 bridges twice, meaning you have  take the mast down 4 times, boats from 14 foot to 45ft. (maps on the below websites)

The Record is around 8 hours, the worst year only about a dozen boats finished. My record, about ten hours, and of those races completed, the slowest 23 hours 57 minutes 7 seconds.. (same boat)

There are about a dozen guardships around the Course complete with a rescue boat each, first aid trained personnel, and radio comunication back to base. As each boat goes past a guardship they have to call out their RACE number and the next leg they are going to (  the next leg doesn't apply to my Guardship as we are at one end of the course..)

Yours truly, is based on Hickling Broad at their sailing club on a guardship,  so a long night is expected.

The 3 Rivers Race has finally got  it's own official website http://3rr.uk/, and it's official Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/306353193114566/

There is a fans Website http://www.threeriversrace.org.uk/index.php5?title=Main_Page and it's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/187800327911928/

Webcams and other information

Horning Sailing club https://horning-sailing.club/webcams.php (Note they are in the process of being reset  for the race and a bit intermittant at the moment)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:55:14 am by The Q »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Sailing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:33 pm »
Brings back great memories as I used to live in Stalham and we had our boats moored there, a motor cruiser and a small sailing dingy.  I used to run the Norfolk Broads Arthur Ransome Cootclub website and was a founder member of the Museum of the Broads.  Great part of the UK but the weather made me move to Spain.. :angel:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:56 am »
I live out towards the coast from Stalham and drove through it about an hour ago. I've been round the museum many times.
 I've also  been to John Williams yard next door, with his help, and others my motorboat has now been changed to electric drive. 

For those looking on...

http://www.museumofthebroads.org.uk/
http://www.arthur-ransome.org.uk/?page_id=81

Death or Glory is now stored carefully at Belaugh, those boats owned by the hunters yard are still around and in use. (That's the boats from the film).

and for any Arthur Ransome fans, Horning staithe just beyond the fake paddle steamer and pub garden
https://horning-sailing.club/webcam.php?camera=club_down

It's a pity we still suffer from hullabaloos...

Another link between us is, in EM I'm attempting to model the MSWJR which had plans gone ahead been a destination from Fairford
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:16:02 am by The Q »

Offline Steve Brassett

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:23:44 am »
I am moving my sailing boat from its current home on the River Blackwater in Essex up to the Broads next month.  I have just had her rerigged to help with the dropping of the mast to get through the bridges in Yarmouth and Acle.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:09:31 am »
I am moving my sailing boat from its current home on the River Blackwater in Essex up to the Broads next month.  I have just had her rerigged to help with the dropping of the mast to get through the bridges in Yarmouth and Acle.
If it's permanent have you got a mooring yet?

Offline Steve Brassett

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:08 pm »
If it's permanent have you got a mooring yet?
Yep - Bureside Holiday Park near Thurne.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:26:23 am »
That's a nice spot.. not far from the Thurne Lion  :D

You'll see Horning sailing club sail past occasionally on a Sunday, as we do a down river race about once every 6 weeks. Depending on the tide either to the Thurne lion with a leg down the Bure  river straight then back to the Thurne Lion pub. Or straight on down river to stop before the Acle bridge and Pub.

You are probably booked and paid for for that mooring and you may have facilities we can't offer.

But Horning Sailing clubs membership fees are 77 for a person 120 for a family. (per year)
 We have sailing cruiser and motor boat moorings across the river (three club rowing Dingies are provided but you can have your own). I'm not sure what sailing cruiser fees are but I think they are between half and 3/4 of a motorboat and my 27ft motorboat mooring costs under 700.

There is a water supply,  on the club Island, a car park, and of course club membership gets you the use of the toilets and showers.

The only additional requirement is you carry out one days duty per year (March to October), rescue boat driver (qualified) / crew unqualified / tea bar. ( A couple can do their duties the same day).
Then of course you may join in the  racing and social functions if you wish

https://horning-sailing.club/sailingprogramme.php
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/82/08/820854_a28fa084.jpg

( There are the occasional races non broads design, sailing cruisers can enter)

If you are up our way and wish to consider it, the club house is open every Sunday from around 09:00 to 17:00. (and many other times) you would be welcome to visit (no mooring on the front on a Sunday / Race day at those times due to racing).

I'm not normally there on a Sunday at the moment as I'm rebuilding my sailing boat, but should you wish to visit while I'm there, just Let me know.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:27:27 am by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 10:18:25 am »
Want to avoid something going on tomorrow?

Tomorrow 19th May 2018 is Brundall Boat show, I  10:00 to 17:00, Parking at Brooms Boat yard, free water taxi's between the sites and free entry..

Sadly I have too much else to do.

Offline Steve Brassett

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 02:06:43 pm »
I've been to the Lion at Thurne a couple of times, but not since it was done up. I'll put that right at the weekend, as I will be camping at Bureside.

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:09 pm »
Making me quite home sick, miss the Broads immensely but it was the weather that finally got to me, those cold east winds kept giving me bronchitis and pneumonia, now just get sun burnt.   ;)

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 10:57:23 am »
As the date of the 3 Rivers Race approaches in 9 days and 3 minutes to the first start. The race webcams are springing into life. Noticably one  is live feed for the first time, click on the black screen, instead of 15second stills.
https://horning-sailing.club/webcams.php

Today being a Thursday volunteers are getting the club ready for the sailing school, after school up to 80 kids with the odd adult will turn up for instruction in the gentle art of sailing in ever decreasing circles..

Though next week the school is not on, as the front will be lined with boats getting ready for the 3RR
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:27:17 am by The Q »

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »
Great stuff, lovely to see the Broads again.   :thumbsup:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:33 am »
The boats are begining to collect on the club frontage, ready for the 3 Rivers Race.
The unfortunate thing is the wind forecast, yesterday it was 3mph, today it is 6mph for race start time peaking at 8mph during the race. This is combined with the tide coming in against the competitors for the first 4 hours when they are fighting their way through the trees, will make for a very slow start..

Another camera has burst into life, this time Acle Bridge courtesy of the Acle bridge Inn..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:55:42 am by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 09:00:14 am »
As our big race approaches I take even more interest in the weather, the forecast has changed again, this time 8 mph westerly for the start of the race, which is almost as good as North westerly. Interestingly it also shows a lull down to 1mph wind at 19:00 which hopefully will upset the hot shots.

We have Norfolk Punts, Slipstreams and Thames A raters come and compete, the A raters are hugely expensive,, with carbon fibre masts etc and are sponsored . They tend to win the outright fastest over the water each year and don't even get to see darkness..

. But in some way they spoil the race  by getting round the course in 8 to 10 hours, it is supposed to be an endurance race.

My personnal record is about 10 hours but that year the wind was so strong everyone got round very rapidly. Normally 22 hours would be right for the boats I sailed and the majority of the fleet. Although I'm a minor race offical and have been for several years, once I finally finish rebuilding my boat and once it gets sorted into some sort of race condition, I intend to do the race again.. My target had been for when I was 60... It's now looking more like I'll be 65...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:25 pm »
Well the forecast is looking even worse, so how about a video of part of the 3 Rivers race 2013, Mostly 'Cos I'm in it, in Boat 210 after about 2:30 in, also look out for a crunch soon after 5:30. this is the River Ant near  Ludham bridge one of the narrower sections...
PS near the start is a brown wood hulled boat with one fender out...a non compettitor, it must have been like cycling on the M1 in rush hour...

https://youtu.be/WOpGhAqFBqg
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:11:17 pm by The Q »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here