!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tales from my Stock Box  (Read 3424 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tales from my Stock Box
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 08:56:57 pm »
I appear to have missed this until now so apologies.
What superb models.
More photos of your inspiring work please.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline JohnBS

• N Gauge Society Number: 17148
  • 2mm Association Number: 1577
  • 2mm scale, N-gauge, GWR 1900-40, Totnes, Ashburton
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:12 pm »
No 9304 2-6-0 ‘Mogul’ c.1935
An intermediate mixed-traffic engine.
Built 1932 Withdrawn 1963

This engine was my first essay in scratch-building of superstructures in plastic card - or in anything! At the time, I felt more confident in using plastic than metal - I was used to the techniques and it is much easier to cut and join.
The chassis of the model started life as a Farish ‘large prairie’ tank engine, with the rear end cut off and married to a Farish tender. The mechanism was unchanged with a reduction of 25:1 but the engine was re-wheeled with Beaver wheels and fitted with new scratch-built coupling and connecting rods, a new keeper plate and a pony truck. The tender is on a Farish chassis, with superstructure modified to a 3500 gallon type, and with current collection. The locomotive superstructure is scratch-built in plastic card with metal details and fittings. Currently the model is awaiting refurbishment.

No 2568 0-6-0 ‘Dean Goods’ c.1930
An antique engine, based on the even earlier 'Armstrong Goods'
Built 1898 Withdrawn 1953

The model is entirely scratch-built - this time in metal. Power is provided by a tender-mounted coreless 1018 motor with a small flywheel and a simple bent wire cardan shaft drive to a worm gear in the engine firebox. This feeds a double-reduction gear drive, giving an overall reduction of 50:1. Both engine and tender have split frames with driving wheels purpose made by a member of the 2mm Scale Association and tender wheels from the Mike Bryant range. The engine and tender superstructures, details and fittings are of sheet and turned metal.

No 2252 0-6-0 ‘Collett Goods’ c.1935
A 1930 replacement for the ‘Dean Goods’.
Built 1930 Withdrawn 1959

The model is proprietary, by Peco, with tender drive. Minor modifications were made to improve current collection and increase tender adhesion weight, however, I am not convinced by the appearance of the tender. The loco is usual kept as a reserve.

Lots more tender locos to come.

John

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:25:46 pm by JohnBS »
For more information see my blog: http://ashburton-and-totnes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:50 pm »
That Mogul looks the dogs doo-dahs :heart2:

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 08:03:56 pm »
A couple more tender locos. These powerful locomotives were the mainstay of GWR long distance heavy freight engines - they could haul up to 100 wagons.

No 2857 2-8-0 28XX class c.1930
The archetypal coal and mineral main-line engine
Built 1918 Withdrawn 1963

This model started life as a scratch-built plastic card superstructure on a cut-down Minitrix 9F chassis (the fifth axle being removed), re-motored with a small Minitrix motor in the boiler. Perhaps inevitably, the motor was inadequate and eventually gave up the ghost. However it seemed a possibility to use a Farish 8F chassis so I gave it a try. The motor pole pieces had to be thinned down to allow an improved fire-box shape and the chassis idler gear was modified to give a two-stage reduction of about 42:1 - only possible with the older brass gears. The tender was made on a modified Farish chassis, with current collection and with a 3500 gallon type superstructure of plastic card with metal details and fittings.

No 2892 2-8-0 2884 class c.1939
A later version of the coal and mineral main-line engine
Built 1938 Withdrawn 1963

This model is proprietary, by Dapol, with a tender-mounted skew-wound motor and a cardan shaft drive to the driving wheels. The tender is modified, plastic coal removed and replaced with the real thing and a crew added. Otherwise, the main changes are a partial repaint and weathering.
I intend to 'reverse engineer' this loco to 28xx condition by swapping the Collett cab for a Churchward version (3D printed for the Saint class), getting rid of the fire irons tunnel and outside steam pipes and other minor tweaks. Watch this space . . .

Meanwhile, lots more tender locos to come.

John

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:56:04 pm by JohnBS, Reason: New photo substituted. »

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 01:45:02 pm »
It is great to see you posting here John and lovely to see your wonderful locomotives. While I followed the build on 'the other forum', I'm really looking forward to seeing the Saint again!

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 07:26:26 pm »
Atso, Thanks for your comments; Saint will be coming soon!  John

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:42 pm »
Two further tender engines - each very different but both are very powerful and will pull a house down!

No 32xx Earl class 4-4-0 c.1935
An interesting rebuild of Bulldog frames with a smaller boiler
Built 1935 Withdrawn 1964

The model is a first try with a Union Mills engine. The nicely-cast white metal superstructure was stripped of paint as I wanted to replace the moulded handrails and some other details - these were filed and scraped off. Then I modified the superstructure by deepening the axle and crank recesses and reducing the frame depths to lower the footplate height to a more prototypical appearance. (Be careful if you try this; you may need to reduce the flanges and/or grind out some of the underside of the footplate.) Then it was time to add some details - dummy front coupling, wire handrails, smoke box dart, lamp irons, brake rigging and a new rear coupling. Finally, all was repainted and weathered, lamps fitted, coaled and a crew added. Number- and name-plates are still awaited.

No 4706 2-8-0 c.1930
The big one – designed for use on fast fitted freight turns.
Built 1923 Withdrawn 1964

The model is entirely scratch-built. Power is provided by a tender-mounted Portescap 1219 motor, with a flywheel and a simple bent wire cardan shaft to a worm gear in the engine firebox. This feeds a double-reduction gear drive, giving a reduction of 53:1. Both engine and tender have split frames with wheels from the late Mike Bryant range, all wheels collecting current. The drive is taken to both the third and fourth axles, reducing the stress on coupling rods. As a conceit, there is operating outside and inside valve gear, the latter almost totally invisible under the massive boiler! The superstructure is of plastic card, adhesion weight is hardly a problem with such a volume to fill up with lead. Current collection from the tender chassis is transferred to the engine by phosphor-bronze wire springs, soldered to the tender and bearing on the insides of the engine frames.
This model won the 2mm Scale Association Groves Trophy in 1983 and a Bronze Medal at the Model Engineering Exhibition in 1984.

More to come.

John

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:56:42 pm by JohnBS, Reason: Additional information »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 08:07:40 pm »
Fantastic.
The 47xxs were one of my very favourite locomotive types and this is the first time, I believe, that I’ve seen one modelled in N.
You have made a wonderful job of it.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:13 pm »
Amazing work, John :goggleeyes:

Offline Graham63

• N Gauge Society Number: 4067
  • 2mm Association Number: 1755
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:04 pm »
Couldn't agree more!! Also I believe the 47xx won the 2mm Association Best Loco cup the year it was entered!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:24:46 pm by Graham63, Reason: comment about best loco cup »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:29 am »
This is stunning quality modelling - please keep sharing more!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 10:45:15 am »
Hi @JohnBS I think the members would love to see some pictures of your wonderful layouts if you have some, certainly when we exhibited next to you at Train West last year with Tormouth we were amazed at the quality of your layout, awe inspiring!... So much so that our new layout "Shappish" has the same kind of depth as your Totnes layout which is rarely seen in N..

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 11:45:47 am »
I'll second that :laughabovepost:,Quality stuff.

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 01:01:05 pm »
Couldn't agree more!! Also I believe the 47xx won the 2mm Association Best Loco cup the year it was entered!
Thank you.
I have just checked with my archives (a dusty old notebook) and you are correct - 2mm Scale Association Groves Trophy in 1983 and Bronze Medal at the Model Engineering Exhibition, 1984. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun.
Best wishes,
John

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 01:05:39 pm »
Hi @JohnBS I think the members would love to see some pictures of your wonderful layouts if you have some, certainly when we exhibited next to you at Train West last year with Tormouth we were amazed at the quality of your layout, awe inspiring!... So much so that our new layout "Shappish" has the same kind of depth as your Totnes layout which is rarely seen in N..

Thanks for your kind comment. I guess that I could dig out some pix of the layouts in due course.
Best wishes,
John

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here