!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hello from The Wirral  (Read 349 times)

Offline oncomin5torm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Hello from The Wirral
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:35:41 pm »
Hello guys, I am a 31 year old fella with a refound love for model railways, I am a new convert to N gauge and I have been part of your facebook group for about a week or so.
I have only been back in the hobby for about 2 months now, I am building a small shunting layout with my old 00 track.

Moving to N due to space constraints, but I have found more than anything I love it, I spent weeks watching videos and looking at layouts and I just knew I wanted to go down N rather than a tail chaser in 00.
00 will always be part of me, I am considering in my eventual layout to throw up a 00 loop under it just for the ability to run and keep in good running my 00 loco's.

I am in the process of getting a proper space to do a layout in but it will end up being an 8x6ft shed, all properly insulated and secured.

Avid fan of late era BR with the wonderful maroon MK1 coaches, just love those things.
I have a fondess for the standard MT class of loco, so much so I own a standard 3MT 2-6-2 in 00 gauge and just today got a Standard 4MT 2-6-4 as my first N gauge loco.

Today was my first ever N gauge buy, and first time using flexi track, code 55. It's all I will be using going forward.

My layout is in the planning stages but I am sure once I have my space to build it will take shape before I know it.

Outside of model railways, I am an avid amateur photographer, I like landscapes but I will photograph whatever makes me happy to do at that time.
I love comic books, and conventions.
You can find me either 'playing trains' or out walking my dog most times at the moment when I am not in work.

I look forward to showing off my efforts in N and seeing yours too

All the best
Alex
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
Let history make it's own judgments.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
Re: Hello from The Wirral
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:59 pm »
welcome alex

any questions sure somebody will be happy to help

chris

Offline Murdock92

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
Hi Alex welcome!

I myself like you have recently had a rekindling and my love for model railways at a local model railway exhibition almost a month ago now! I also started out in 00 but after seeing n gauge I just feel in love and wanted to restart with it not just because of space saving but I just really love how everything looks in n gauge! I look forward to seeing your progress with your layout  :ngauge:

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:43:28 pm »
Welcome to our friendly forum Alex, you'll get all the help and advice on here that you'll ever need.  Good decision in going for the Peco code 55 track it looks so much better and an additional tip go for the "electro frog" version of the points, it improves running no end although you need to then use "IRJ's" (Insulated Rail Joiners) to prevent shorts but it is well worth the effort.
 :welcomesign:

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:46:27 pm »
Welcome to our friendly forum Alex, you'll get all the help and advice on here that you'll ever need.  Good decision in going for the Peco code 55 track it looks so much better and an additional tip go for the "electro frog" version of the points, it improves running no end although you need to then use "IRJ's" (Insulated Rail Joiners) to prevent shorts but it is well worth the effort.
 :welcomesign:

Thank you, it was always my intention to go electrofrog, I am doing so because once funds are spare I intend to go DCC, I will fit sidings and such with isolating switches so I can store a loco or two in them whilst it is on DC still, I will wire the layout for DCC operation just using a DC controller, specifically my Gaugemaster Combi.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:57 pm »
Hi Alex! :wave: Welcome aboard. :wave:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:46 pm »
Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I always think N is the 'proper' gauge as anything bigger looks like toys.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:30:15 pm »
Welcome aboard Alex,

its good to see another N gauge modeller in the local area

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:49:29 am »
G'day from Australia Japan (for now), Alex, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

I love maroon coaches too. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:00:53 am »
Welcome to the forum.  :)  Glad to see that you're a user of here and the FB group.   :thumbsup:

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 08:04:31 am »
It felt wrong of me to be a user here without any actual N gauge to show for it. 😂

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum Alex.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
Welcome along Alex, I too am into "Shed Engineering", and not too far away from you.
If I may offer a small piece of advice, If you can go a bit bigger on your shed size, do so, 'cos you will fill an 8 x 6 pretty quickly.  I started off with a 10 x 7 and am currently waiting for a 10 x 10 to be delivered, just so I can have a bit of work space along with the layout.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 02:17:33 pm »
Welcome along Alex, I too am into "Shed Engineering", and not too far away from you.
If I may offer a small piece of advice, If you can go a bit bigger on your shed size, do so, 'cos you will fill an 8 x 6 pretty quickly.  I started off with a 10 x 7 and am currently waiting for a 10 x 10 to be delivered, just so I can have a bit of work space along with the layout.

I would love to use the 10x8 we already have but I got told no on that front, apparently telling a parent that they don't need the big shed anymore for all their stuff is not appropriate  :smiley-laughing:

I could stretch to a 10x8 but the cost would eat into the funds for track then.
Most certainly I need somewhere to work, even if its a corner of the shed, that is something I had not fully considered, as right now having an old pasting table set up in my room is not ideal, but so far it has done me wonders, I only need about 3' x 2' for working in.

Thanks for the advice, unless I make a folding out thing or a wheely bit to pull out from under the layout.
I am now considering a 6x4 baseboard, it would sit flush with the back of the shed to allow for entry into the shed.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything