!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Customising, and how it affects your warranty  (Read 506 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Customising, and how it affects your warranty
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:54:32 pm »
Not a great deal to recommend Railway Modeller this month for an NGauger but hidden away in the letter's page is an interesting reply from Dennis Lovatt at Bachmann to the question "Will me customising my model affect the warranty?"
Most of it is common sense but it's good to see the official line.

My source of RM has them all bagged as there is a separate leaflet about preserved railways so you may not be able to just read the letter and leg it without buying one :no:

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Customising, and how it affects your warranty
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 03:51:46 pm »
Not a great deal to recommend Railway Modeller this month for an NGauger but hidden away in the letter's page is an interesting reply from Dennis Lovatt at Bachmann to the question "Will me customising my model affect the warranty?"
Most of it is common sense but it's good to see the official line.

My source of RM has them all bagged as there is a separate leaflet about preserved railways so you may not be able to just read the letter and leg it without buying one :no:
I don't get Railway Modeller so what does it say about customising and warranty just out of interest NN?
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »
What is the gist of it?

To me common sense is that if your customisation is unrelated to the failure then your warranty should be unaffected - fitting etched plates shouldn’t impact on split gears for instance. Whilst hard wiring a DCC chip and having a PCB short I would not expect cover. 

Online longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:47 pm »
That's the gist of the letter. Body mods generally won't affect the chassis warranty.

It would be useful to what degree the major retailers accept returns of modified items.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:28:58 am »
I suspect there’s rather a lot of subjectivity making it hard to say what is allowed/not.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:08 am »
Sorry, but I'm not going to put details of the letter on the open forum without the consent of Peco Publications. I'm happy to approach them for such consent but guess the simple reply from them would be 'buy the mag'. Sorry.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:06:45 am »
Right. So this is a bit of a pointless post. Why talk about something you can't talk about?

It sounds like you'd be providing Dennis Lovatt's line anyway, not Peco's.

I saw a great layout the other day, amazing, best I've ever seen. Can't tell you about it though. :doh:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:56:41 am »
My OP was more about the mag than the letter and I'm sure if anyone's that interested they'll buy it. Maybe you understand the laws of copyright but I don't so how about you go and buy it and then report on it all :P

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 12:49:23 pm »
Nah, I'll go and buy it and post a cryptic comment about it, but I can't really talk about that ;)

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 01:09:38 pm »
@Newportnobby if its in the magazine then its in the public domain... so why not repost the gist here ?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:47:11 pm by Only Me »

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 02:44:12 pm »
Railway Modeller states the conditions for dissemination of its content. This is at the bottom of the Editorial page. The gist of it is that you must have the publisher’s explicit permission.

The thrust of Dennis Lovett’s letter is that before any mods check everything is working OK. Damage and performance changes resulting afterwards are not likely to be covered by the warranty if they result from the work carried out. Cosmetic weathering does not affect the mechanical warranty.  My assessment is there are lots of grey areas but that Bachmann are probably able to sort out whether a motor failure is due to manufacturing or user mis-use.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:29:40 pm by woodbury22uk, Reason: spelling »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 03:20:21 pm »
Maybe you understand the laws of copyright but I don't so how about you go and buy it and then report on it all :P

Encouraged by on Moderator on this forum, the text from RM is below

Custom work and warranties

Ed - Following the publication of Tony Walker's letter in the May 2018 issue, which questioned how the customising of a ready-to-run locomotive (as advocated in the booklet issued free with the April 2078 RM) affects the manufacturer's warranty, we asked Dennis Lovett, Public Relations Manager at Bachmann Europe Plc for an official response.

He writes:

l have asked our Service Department Manager for clarification on the points raised.

Firstly any locomotives purchased which are damaged in transit or have an imperfection should be returned to the retailer for replacement (or if they have none left a refund).

The warranty basically covers the working (mechanical) parts. Any body issues are usually noted and dealt with as above. Given the varying factors each claim would be assessed on an individual basis.

Regarding the non-mechanical parts we recommend that in the case of locomotive or multiple units that the item is run before any work is carried out. This should result in any item that is not performing as it should, to be identified and dealt with by returning it to the dealer it was purchased from. If the performance of the model is to the customer's satisfaction, then the fitting of items from the accessory pack or the fitting of etched nameplates (often an accessory supplied by us) does not affect the warranty. However, the warranty does not cover damage caused by the modeller in the process of fitting these detail accessories, such as blobs or stains of adhesive on the model. We might, however, be in a position to supply the customer with a new body at a cost, if we have one in stock.

Obviously any damage to a body caused by fitting accessories supplied by third party suppliers would not be covered by a Bachmann warranty.

Renumbering does not affect the warranty for the mechanical parts.
However if any damage is caused to the body or paintwork by renumbering, then the same applies as above. Similarly, any work undertaken on the body (such as replacing fittings or adding detail parts) will affect the warranty for the body, but not for the chassis.

Weathering - if confined to the parts which do not affect the running or operation of the model - has no affect on the warranty. However, if a model is returned to us and it is not running as a result of paint on the valve gear, wheels and mechanical parts, then the customer would be charged for restoring their locomotive to operational status - if indeed that is possible.

Under the mechanical warranty we ask that any third party fitted or supplied decoders are removed before returning them to us. If, for example, there is a problem with the DCC socket, then we would put in decoders here to identify the problem. The same applies for third party fitted sound systems or 'stay alive' capacitors. However, they should not be removed if the item is a Bachmann fitted DCC ON BOARD or DCC SOUND product. Any wiring damage to PCBS etc. caused by bad fitting of decoders will result in the customer being charged for a new PCB."

DENNIS LOVETT
Bachmann Europe Plc

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 03:53:40 pm »
Great, thanks Lindi.

Yes, pretty much as expected then. The weathering one must be a ball ache - someone being a bit liberal with an airbrush screws everything up.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here