!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cheap and easy permanent coupling  (Read 211 times)

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
Cheap and easy permanent coupling
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »
I have some 3D printed wagons that have no pre-supplied or fitted couplings. I wanted them to run as a fixed rake and talked the options (brass ‘staples’ etc) over with @PostModN66. The inability to fix a staple from above, and wanting to avoid the cost of fixing NEM pockets led him to suggest 20lb strain fishing line. It is flexible for curves, and yet has linear rigidity for propelling moves.

A simple ‘staple’ of the fishing line, inserted into holes drilled into the superglued plasticard inserts I had intended to mount the NEM couplers on has sufficed. The spacing shown allows running both pulling and pushing around 9 inch curves. I have a video I will post next of them running, although foolishly I didn’t video them pushing, but they happily did so. 

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
Re: Cheap and easy permanent coupling
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 08:50:48 pm »
https://youtu.be/MhO1Ad3HiFs

https://youtu.be/GY3mZGg2Hio

Two videos of them circuiting on my clubs N gauge layout (along with an NGS getting a test run in the opposite direction). They were propelled through the pointwork around the curves here both ends of the layout, with seven wagons behind them. I will continue to test the limits, but it seems to work for my purposes!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here