!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Brawa n gauge cable car  (Read 205 times)

Offline Big Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Brawa n gauge cable car
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:21:01 am »
I have an N Gauge Brawa cable car.  It has minimal use but the motor stops working.  I have gone through three.  At £1 a time plus postage from Germany it gets expensive. Any help would be welcome Peter

Offline Big Pete

• Awards
Re: Brawa n gauge cable car
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:36:49 am »
I have a Braw n gauge cable car but the motors constantly malfunction.  I have gone through three with limited use.  No more than 1 hour in each case.  It is getting expensive and time consuming.  Is this a general problem with Brawa 14v DC motors,

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:09 am »
I have an N Gauge Brawa cable car.  It has minimal use but the motor stops working.  I have gone through three.  At £1 a time plus postage from Germany it gets expensive. Any help would be welcome Peter

Hello Peter. The motor on my set has always been noisy but runs smoothly and is still the original one. What are you using to power your cable car?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:40:54 am by swisstrains »
John

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:44:59 am »
I'm having problems keeping up with you Peter. I have just replied to your original post in the other thread. :D
What are you using to power your cable car?
John

Offline Big Pete

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:58 am »
Thanks for answering. I use a 12 volt Dc transformer of the type used to run engines on the track
The current motor has run for about an hour on and off.  I keep the model railway in a chalet behind our house.  We went on hols for a fortnight and when I came back I switched everything on..  All the engines ran and my n gauge funfair models but not the cable car.

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:40 am »
Do you need to apply much power from your transformer before the motor starts to turn?
Do you have any idea what stops the motor from working? e.g. bearing failure, windings burnt out etc.
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:47:56 pm »
I still have a set mint in the box which I bought over 25 years ago.  I recently dug it out to test and found the original grease had hardened and gummed things up.   I dismantled the mechanism, cleaned everything and re-lubed with a tiny amount of PTFE grease. It now runs very sweetly on about 6V.  @Big Pete maybe yours has gummed up and is drawing way too much current and blowing motors?

I'm toying with the idea of creating electronics with a PIC to drive it with PWM and a couple of sensors to time it when the cars reach the top/bottom.

Also recently acquired the Brawa funicular set equally mint, so now I have plans beginning to form up in my head for a mountainous board with both systems running!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:35:29 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Big Pete

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:38:54 pm »
I am afraid I don't have the expertise to know what has gone wrong with the motor.  I intend to replace it and send it to an expert who can tell me what has gone wrong as it strikes me that unless I find out the problem will repeat itself as the replacement will be my 4th motor.  I also wonder if there is a suitable substitute other make motor which would fit but the space seems limited and the motor very specific.   Where would you advise I sent it

many thanks

Peter

Offline Big Pete

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 05:40:24 pm »
I should have added that the motor required very little power to operate

Peter

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 06:44:46 pm »
@Big Pete  For you to have gone through three motors would seem to indicate there's something else going on.  The motor really shouldn't be dying unless it's being overloaded due to some other problem such as the gearing being much too stiff?   

It's not difficult to strip down and lubricate the gearing, there's a split locking collar retaining the main large drum, if you remove that you can get to the other gears - but I presume you've done that previously anyway in order to unscrew and remove the motor for replacement?

You mentioned £1 (+p&p) to replace the motor, that sounds extremely cheap so where are you getting these replacements from? Are they originals as supplied by Brawa? Are they definitely 12-14V motors?

I've just dug mine out and measured the current draw: at 6V (which seems plenty fast enough) it's drawing 65-70mA. At 12V it draws 85mA but to my mind it's running far too fast at that voltage! I have no reason to believe that it would draw much more current once installed as a complete cable car system, the cars are so light, the non-powered drum at the other end rotates freely, and there's plenty of torque from the main drum it doesn't slow or draw more current if I apply finger pressure.

If you can extract and post the entire mechanism (motor and gear drum on its tower) I'll take a look at it for you if that would help (purely as a fellow enthusiast not a professional repairer!). PM if interested?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:17:06 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Big Pete

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 08:44:13 pm »
Thank you very much.  You are very kind.   I should have said £22 plus £16 postage from Germany.  I could find only one place on E bay that supplied them.   They are still advertised in the same way  You are quite right. I worked out how to change the motor and thus removed the gears. 

I will try to remove the motor in the next few days and report back

All good wishes

Peter

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
May Donations

Advertise Here