!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish weathering  (Read 268 times)

Offline BobB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
Farish weathering
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:24:34 pm »
Just got three Farish wagons. Not only did they all have NEM sockets (so I can fit Dapol's easi-shunts) but the two that were weathered (TTA tanker and BR Toad brake van) were rather better than Farish were turning out a few years ago.

In the past their version of weathering seemed to be a pass or two of greyish spray along either side. Now they are trying a lot harder with some good results. I wonder if we'll see an improvement on their locomotives as well.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Farish weathering
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:55:07 pm »
I admit to being disappointed with the weathering from both Farish and Dapol on all stock. This does not prevent me from invariably buying the weathered version, though, as I don't particularly like pristine stock. I have some Dapol weathered 20T mineral wagons due later this week and have convinced myself to take them further down the 'grotty' line.
Not sure I'll ever get to the level of weathering a forum member did for me on some Peco Butterleys....(not my layout)

Offline Chetcombe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:36:08 pm »
I admit to being disappointed with the weathering from both Farish and Dapol on all stock.

I think the weathering on Dapol's Class 22 and Westerns is really very good - I believe they were based on a Mercig 'blueprint'. Otherwise though I agree with you.

I am very encouraged to hear Farish have stepped things up and look forward to seeing the weathered Toad in particular (even though The Weathered Toad sounds like a pub name!). Any chance of a photo @BobB ?

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
The Dapol silver bullets are superb too, again I believe based on a Mercig master:

The only thing of course is that they're all the same, so you end up with a homogenous dirty rake instead of a homegenous clean one!

Farish have been terrible in the past though, as you say, a dirty brown waft on everything be it loco, wagon or coach! The Shell TTAs aren't too bad. I'm still not wholly convinced on anything they've offered, although they do seem to be getting better - the JGAs look acceptable!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything