!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Another new start  (Read 931 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Re: Another new start
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 08:12:28 pm »
Fiddle yard roads can always be longer! And you can always have more of them.

Something to think about but it is getting the track in the scenic area right which is my main concern at moment.

Offline tunneroner61

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 12:07:42 am »
<Which crossover do you mean? The engineers sidings cant be reversed as the inside track runs anticlockwise and would have to reverse into them, or is that better than reversing onto the track. Or am I missing something (very likely)>
As the main lines run outer clock wise and anticlockwise for the inner that follows UK practice. Facing crossovers are generally only used at modern junctions on cost grounds. So the crossover you have by the two engineers sidings should be made a trailing. It could be omitted if you do not wish/need to allow trains from the outer main to access the sidings. Sidings should normally be reversed into on safety grounds.

Unfortunately the plan you have picked whilst interesting to operate and very usable does not follow prototype practice. Apologies for being pedantic over this but IMHO the layout needs to look right.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:20 am »
<Which crossover do you mean? The engineers sidings cant be reversed as the inside track runs anticlockwise and would have to reverse into them, or is that better than reversing onto the track. Or am I missing something (very likely)>
As the main lines run outer clock wise and anticlockwise for the inner that follows UK practice. Facing crossovers are generally only used at modern junctions on cost grounds. So the crossover you have by the two engineers sidings should be made a trailing. It could be omitted if you do not wish/need to allow trains from the outer main to access the sidings. Sidings should normally be reversed into on safety grounds.

Unfortunately the plan you have picked whilst interesting to operate and very usable does not follow prototype practice. Apologies for being pedantic over this but IMHO the layout needs to look right.

Ok, can see the thinking behind reversing the point into the engineers siding. Only query is if I reverse the points from outer to inner track then the train would reverse from outside track to inner, and then reverse into siding, is that prototypical?

I can probably do without the join between outer and inner track but thought I would ask the question.

And then still to sort the other track in some way.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 01:49:43 pm »
Hi all

Following on from yesterday, this is a plan reversing the point into the engineers siding and removing the crossover between outer and inner track. Will draw up a 3 line possibility, I think in that case loosing the engineers siding makes sense.

This is 3 rail possibility.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:00:22 pm by barneyadi »

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 02:01:48 pm »
Would suspect with the 3 rail plan the centre rail could run either way, maybe for slower freight trains. Not sure if a engineers siding or crossover between the inner and centre track might add anything.
Any thoughts?

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »
Well think I have finalised the middle line plan, found a plan for a what if terminus called Cromarty which I think works for me.

Still torn between a two or three main line. As it will be a anywhere line three would be acceptable but as thinking of a Scottish feel to it, 3 lines seem very uncommon in scenic Scotland. But the again it is my layout but still a conundrum.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 11:38:50 pm »
  :hellosign: IMO if you want it go for it, most important thing is to enjoy your layout
   regards Derek

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here